+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, FROG in Technical; Happy new year everyone, hope we had a great Xmas and break. For those who got one! Right, FROG, this ...
    Thank Post

FROG

Happy new year everyone, hope we had a great Xmas and break. For those who got one!

Right, FROG, this is something we have been highly interested and have looked around and really does seem the best option. We looked at Moodle but in all honesty none of us have that kind of time and talent.

For those who are using frog can you tell me, what you use it for, how well it does it and are you happy with the product and support. Also have you created any new *widgets or apps for it etc and again what are they?

If there are any flaws again please say, we have a Gov meeting soon in about 2-3 weeks not long after BETT and we have seen the demo, used the demo and very impressed. So apart of this Gov meeting we are hoping to know as much as possible to persuade them to go for it.
    Personally I think FROG is something special and the ideas of it all is simply moodle style where "anything" can be done but with less know how.

Any opinions on FROG is fine, ideas, so simply anything!

Thank you

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    We looked at Moodle but in all honesty none of us have that kind of time and talent.
    You could purchase a hosted / managed Moodle setup, so someone else provides the time and talent. Frog does work, and seems to be a well constructed and thought-out system, bt given a choice I'd go for an open system rather than a propriatory one.

For those who are using frog can you tell me, what you use it for, how well it does it and are you happy with the product and support.
    We have a Frog server installed and set up, and it just sits and gets on with things by itself, with no need for us to run upgrades and so on. The HTML page editor part of things seems to be very well desgined, although I don't think someone who can't get their head around the basics of HTML page structure is going to find it any easier than simply typing HTML into a text editor. There is a feature to link to SIMS to extract class data and so on.

We have not used Frog very much so far, we've been busy with other things. That's the problem - no VLE, no matter how stuffed with features, will actually do anything without people using it regularly. In that respect I don't see the advantage of a commercial system over an open source one - the systems / server management aspect of things can be taken care of by paying for a hosted or managed service, other aspects have little to do with the VLE being used.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    We looked at Moodle but in all honesty none of us have that kind of time and talent.
    There is a lot of people on here that know Moodle that will be willing to help. I've used Moodle a fair bit as well. Currently setting up a Moodle 2 Demo Site

Thank Post
    I've yet to find a Moodle issue that Googling doesn't solve too. Not always the case with proprietary! I've heard the spiel about Frog, and how it takes a lot of the work out that Moodle needs - but no VLE will work without massive user input!

Thank Post
    Well we have made our mind up, problem to me seems is moodle would be more work?

I will say what we want and what we might want in future.
    SecureGateway (this is remote access from home for students to access our system and do their work as if they were at college) - Our service provider EIS have a number of firewalls port blocking etc etc so we would have to go through them and get it setup. One school has already done this.
    Connection to SIMs and parent/staff access to their student details, attendance, lessons, subjects.
    Parents can see everything about their kids and only their own.
    Staff can issue work, mark it, create online resource areas, upload anything.
    Media area, show videos, tutorials, recordings.

Look and feel good, this has to be something that looks good, feels good and really does make a student feel like its their area. So in a way their own social site but with us in control.

Frog does all the above with little work, minus SecureGateway which is a bit of work for me. The default template can easily be altered - this is important because I want some DEPT staff doing their own department pages.

Now I know Moodle can do anything but what we got worried about was the amount of work required, it has taken us 4/5 years for our current VLE to be up to scratch but only the guy who made it can do anything with it. It is all SQL based. Frog basics can be easily done by anyone with little training and thats why I like it. All the core of creating APPs I know will be hard I know and a lot of work too.

Not really after a comparison of moodle/frog but if people are using moodle that they purchased roughly what was the cost and time?

As for Frog, as I mentioned: Have already used the demo site and know pretty much everything, seen the creation side and the modify side. So in a way its already won me over, also noticed the other vote thread where frog came second. So I guess I am after people who have frog, would they leave it? anything I should know which people would rather I not know?

Thanks for your replys already, all the info I can get is great. I know frog is not that old and I also know one of the first frog schools in kent (not sure if they were the actual first or not).

Thank Post

FROG

We took the decision about 12 months ago to purchase FROG to replace our existing Moodle VLE and have not looked back since. We chose to have FROG build our platform which to about 4 months going through the design and build phase. This process is very simple however you need to only have a few key people involved in the design or decisions will not be made!

Our old Moodle VLE was used by a few members of staff but not by the whole school. With Frog we already have all staff on board and using it! It is the simplicity of FROG that staff love however that is not saying that FROG cannot do complex tasks. Students find it a lot easier to use than Moodle as well.

FROG gets all it data from SIMS and staff and students log on too it using their AD username and password. The setup of this is very easy and carried out by FROG staff.

With Frog you are given the tools to be able to develop as much or as little as you want. You buy in to the system and are given the tools to develop as you wish. They have now launched a Developer Platform that enables you to run applications from another web server accessible through FROG.

Our build was finished in June 2010 since then we have launched FROG to staff, students and governors each with their own portals. We are in the process of launching the Parental Portal. Staff have been concentrating on uploading resources for KS4 students and are using FROG to set homework for students, which they can then view from their portal. We have got a group of enthusiastic students starting to develop year team and departmental web sites.

I hope this helps as a school we absolutely love FROG and what FROG does for us and what it could do for us in the future. What I would say is with any system it is only as good as the time invested in it.

If you wish to discuss FROG further please PM me and I will give you my phone number.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread