+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moodle Install Problem in Technical; Hi, Someone n my home forum suggested I try my query about Moodle here ... my apologies if I have ...

Thank Post

Question Moodle Install Problem

Hi,

Someone n my home forum suggested I try my query about Moodle here ... my apologies if I have not posted to the right forum or community.

I am trying to install Moodle to one of my sites (a PHP based install so not to Windows or Linux ... I think the site is hosted on Linux but I have no real access to the OS) and am encountering issues as I do so:

"It is required that you store all your data in Unicode format (UTF-8). New installations must be performed into databases that have their default character set as Unicode. If you are upgrading, you should perform the UTF-8 migration process (see the Admin page)."

Looking on the internet I found someone else who resolved this issue as follows:

1. He contacted the help desk in IXwebhosting and had them set his .htaccess file to php_flag register_globals off
    2. He had to set permissions in Mysql by going to the Databases->MySQL Server-> and in the MySQL database management box I went to the Database users area at the bottom of the box and in the second column clicked on the EDIT icon. [!!NOT SURE HOW I'D DO THAT!!]
    3. The EDIT icon took him to a page that says "You are about to administer user privileges on database", wherein he granted myself the privileges needed to modify the database by clicking next to all the necessary boxes and then clicked on Submit.
    4. Then he Clicked on phpmyadmin in control panel
    5. Checked on the name of the database and clicked Launch button
    6. Selected the database table
    7. Clicked on the Operations Tab
    8. Changed collation to Utf-8 and clicked the Go button.

This changed the collation of his database to UTF-8.

Once this was done he went back to the install procedure and everything went well until I got a message telling him that Moodle could not create the config.php file. However it showed him the config.php file and gave him the option to download it, which he did. He uploaded the config.php file to the Moodle directory on the server and then proceeded with the rest of the install without any more problems.
    Maybe that will help someone understand my issue?

Keke

Thank Post
    Hi there,

Welcome to Edugeek

Do you have access to phpmyadmin? The database collation needs to be adjusted as per items 2-8 above.

Might be worth popping a support ticket into your webhost and ask them to do that for you.

Not a big job

Cheers,

Kim

3. Thanks to kmount from:

Kekerusey (21st December 2010)

Thank Post
    I had this problem thursday

Make it so moodle actually creates the database, don't create the database yourself.. That Solved it for me

5. Thanks to pritchardavid from:

Kekerusey (21st December 2010)

Thank Post
    Thx guys ... I will try your solution Dave this evening and if that doesn't work contact my ISOP again as per Kim's reply

Keke

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread