+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moodle and Serco Facility - MIS Block in Technical; Does anyone have experiance of the Facility to Moodle plugin and the MIS Block plugin which adds information regarding student ...

Thank Post

Moodle and Serco Facility - MIS Block

Does anyone have experiance of the Facility to Moodle plugin and the MIS Block plugin which adds information regarding student grades / attendance et al?

I'm having a problem with it and the author doesn't seem to respond to emails

Thanks!

Thank Post
    The original author is no longer in post, there are plans for it to be taken over by someone else.Cant give you any more info at the moment, unless its a very simple issue!

Thank Post
    I don't know really. Both blocks are installed fine, but the MIS Block, when you click on View Any Student, and then actually click on any student, the first screen displays one students details for everyone. For example, click on student A, B, C, D etc, it will always display data from student X.

So yeah, I don't think its a simple issue!

Any idea of when this might be resolved? It's an awesome block, would be a shame if it was not maintained.

Thank Post
    Have you got sessions enabled?

Thank Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but I am not familiar with either moodle or Facility. To what are you are refering to?

Thank Post
    Its a PHP setting, the php.ini file on your webserver will have a setting for it.

A lot of moodle doesnt need session keys (they are a bit like cookies), but that block does.

Thank Post
    Sessions appear to be enabled in the php.ini and the folder in moodledata\sessions appears to be filling with session keys. Am I missing something?

Thank Post
    Dont think so, it was just a possible issue!

Cant really help (?) further, sorry!

We have it working and it is brilliant.

9. Thanks to philwaud from:

skell (15th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Thats a shame. Apart from this issue, its great. I don't understand why it is displaying this particular students details, there isn't anything special about them.

Thanks for your help!

Thank Post
    Phil - you're confusing things. The MIS Block is still maintained by it's original author, Alan Hardy. The Facility-to-Moodle block and the MIS block are both separate entities.

12. Thanks to Marci from:

Thank Post
    Hi Marc

Haven't had much luck contacting Alan. Disappointing.

Thank Post
    Hmm - have you had a look at the content of your user table and ensured that what's stored in the mdl_user table's idnumber field matches the student's admin number in Facility? All the MIS Block really does is grab that number (imported when students were brought in using Fac-to-Moodle block) then use it as the base ID with which to search Facility.

Also check your roles. Whichever site-wide role contains your staff, ensure that permissions are set to ALLOW for Mis:ViewAnyStudent, Mis:ViewBlock, and Mis:ViewStudent. Manage Assessments and View Own should be set to PREVENT (as staff won't have their 'own' student record, and you only want admins messing with the assessments section).

Thank Post
    The idnumber field in the mdl_user table is blank? That can't be right, surely?

EDIT: Its picking up the staff ID's and even the parent ID's and putting them in, but not students. I've definitely got the number in the description field in the AD, so I'm not sure why the block isn't importing it?
    Last edited by skell; 15th November 2010 at 03:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Therein lies your problem then. Facility-to-Moodle hasn't brought in the Facility ID Number from the "Description" field in AD... and reading Guy's script from line91 of lib_student_match.php within blocks/facility_to_moodle:

if (isset($ftm_cfg->numericStudentIds) && $ftm_cfg->numericStudentIds){
    // according to config, id should always be numeric so exit if not
    Which kinda implies that (iirc) the hyphens used within your establishments' ID numbers may just knack up the entire proceedings... unfortunately, the $ftm_cfg->numericStudentIds variable doesn't exist in config_facility_to_moodle.php for me to know what effects it has on things. Transfer Students runs a different routine to Transfer Staff and Transfer Parents, hence the possible reason why Students isn't working when the rest are.

So, first things' first, add the following into config_facility_to_moodle.php...

Code:
    $ftm_cfg->numericStudentIds=false;
    Save, upload, then do a "Transfer Students" and see if that brings in the correct info into the IDNumber field in mdl_users.
    If that still doesn't work, comment out that line and reupload, then I'd suggest if you can remove the hyphen from your current ID Numbers in Facility, update that info in the description field in AD, then re-run the "Transfer Students" function, it SHOULD bring the correct data thru...

It appears at somepoint Guy decided that more or less everywhere would be using an integer for the IDNumber in Facility, so removed the feature within the block to set the content of that field to anything other than an integer.

In fact, what version of Facility_to_Moodle are you using? Might be worth updating it just incase you're on slightly outdated version... latest is at http://www.horbury.wakefield.sch.uk/...le_project.zip
    Last edited by Marci; 15th November 2010 at 04:15 PM.

17. Thanks to Marci from:

Thank Post
    *&%$ I knew it would be something to do with those hyphens. I'll check with the person who looks after Facility and let you know how I get on

Thank you very much!

EDIT: Nah, that line doesn't change anything. Is it strange that the transferring of students doesn't fail?
    Last edited by skell; 15th November 2010 at 04:18 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast