+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moodle and Serco Facility - MIS Block in Technical; Officially, just fac-2-moodle, as that's the only one I'm responsible for, but unofficially I'll be rewriting the mis block (parental ...
    Thank Post
    Officially, just fac-2-moodle, as that's the only one I'm responsible for, but unofficially I'll be rewriting the mis block (parental data) block also as we need it!

Strictly speaking, fac-2-moodle is now done... However, the groups bit doesn't function as it did... Groups are successfully created and added to the course, but the users within that group aren't enrolled on the course - this is due to changes within M2 where they now expect us to use the cohorts feature. Am trying to work out best direction to go from here! Cohorts isn't satisfactory as they can only be added / updated by admin/managers rather than teachers. See Groups FAQ - MoodleDocs - documentation for the cohorts feature is lacking.

Thank Post
    I suspect the solution will be for the block to also create KS2, 3, 4, & 5 cohorts, automatically populated, with option to create Yr7 thru 13 instead via config.php and have it auto create matching categories which each cohort is auto-enrolled to... THEN the groups etc will all work as intended on the courses within those categories. Will mean users would have to restructure their courses by Keystage or Yeargroup.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be more than welcome at this point.

Anyone wishing to test the block as it stands, drop me a line. I'm happy to work with a few establishments to get this sorted... however anyone doingso should be fully versed in either the use of M2.x as intended by Moodle, or in the inner workings of it (PHP / backend). If you're not within those brackets, then better to wait til we've got this issue sorted first.
    Last edited by Marci; 23rd January 2012 at 07:03 PM.

Thank Post
    I'm no expert so I don't think I'll be able to help I'm afraid. I'm not familiar with the M2 cohorts setup either but I'm just thinking that wouldn't it be easier to run with the year group option and forget about key stage? The reason being it might make things easier when it comes to the end of the year process. With key stage, you'd have to move those going up a stage out of their current group and in to the next group up. With year group wouldn't it just be a case of renaming the group to change the number as the membership will stay the same? Plus it can't be that much more effort to add a few year groups to a course instead of one year group, and would give more flexibility.

Unless I'm misunderstanding completely which is entirely possible.

Thank Post
    It'll just be an option in config.php to allow folks to choose for themselves.

Code:
    $ftm_cfg['cohort_create']=true;
    $ftm_cfg['cohort_type']='KS'; //or 'YG' for yeargroup
    The student transfer would auto progress students up thru the yeargroups and auto update the groupings, so each summer when you run the End of Year Process, students will be moved from Yr7 cohort on to Yr8 cohort, and therefore be auto-enrolled to all courses within the Yr8 Category... and so on for each Cohort.

In short, it'd be automated entirely... all Yr8 students are enrolled to all Yr8 courses for instance, and then grouped according to facility teaching group within that individual course.

Thank Post
    OK... sorry... ignore the past 3 posts about groups not working as expected etc. Issue is now resolved, and everything now functioning as expected / intended. (translation: I was being a dumb-ass).

Thank Post
    This block / plugin has now been submitted to the Moodle 2.2 plugins database at Moodle.org

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234