+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Google sites and apps for education info in Technical; Currently I am looking into the Google sites software as an easy way for the school to update a website ...

Thank Post

Google sites and apps for education info

Currently I am looking into the Google sites software as an easy way for the school to update a website but have stumbled on Google Apps for education that looks like it has a complete control panel for administrating all the Google utils.

Before I join up with Google apps I was after some sort of test site but cant find one on Google. Does anyone have a link or something that would let me see how this works before committing the school.

Also are any primary schools using Google sites?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    IMO Google sites is just a modern version of the old Geocities type sites and is only suitable for building simple, personal sites (or just as an advert for a small business).

It doesn't have the content control of a CMS and could easily be mucked up unless there was only 1 editor allowed.

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    I saw somewhere that you can create a site for each class or even each pupil and link them into the main site so they only have control over that part and if you use Google Domain apps this links in with Active Directory on the server to create all the users and also links in with docs etc to create a VLE style system but I could be completely wrong which is why I wanted to see a working/test setup.

My schools (small primary's) don't have a full-time tech and it is normally a member of staff that gets to look after the site which is why I am looking for a system that is not only very very easy to use but is also hosted off site. this makes Google a very tempting free system.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    I saw somewhere that you can create a site for each class or even each pupil and link them into the main site so they only have control over that part and if you use Google Domain apps this links in with Active Directory on the server to create all the users and also links in with docs etc to create a VLE style system but I could be completely wrong which is why I wanted to see a working/test setup.
    yes this is possible, we use it (secondary)

I suggest you sign up for the free standard edition (max 50 users) and have a go:
    Google Apps Standard Edition helps groups build communities - Google Apps Standard Edition

Thank Post
    Thanks CyberNerd

Thank Post
    I have had a play with the standard edition and have a couple questions.

If I login as admin create a site then login as a pupil they have edit rights to my admin site is this the case in the full educational version?

We don't host our website so don't have access to change MX records or any backend control over our domain. In the standard edition it gave me a chance to create a new domain but I don't have this option in the full education version. I assume that if I simple enter the schools domain it may cause other issues. Should I simple buy another domain and use that even though it will not be an educational (sch.uk) domain? Any recommendations.

Thank Post
    I have had a play with the standard edition and have a couple questions.

If I login as admin create a site then login as a pupil they have edit rights to my admin site is this the case in the full educational version?
    no, you can set permissions per site. We only have students sites and don't use google sites for our main webpage

We don't host our website so don't have access to change MX records or any backend control over our domain. In the standard edition it gave me a chance to create a new domain but I don't have this option in the full education version. I assume that if I simple enter the schools domain it may cause other issues. Should I simple buy another domain and use that even though it will not be an educational (sch.uk) domain? Any recommendations.
    your ISP can change MX records and any other DNS stuff if you submit a change request. alternatively create a non-sch.uk domain. we got .org.uk teachers are much happier as it's easier to remember. we then forward any mail for .sch.uk to .org.uk with a mail relay.

Thank Post
    create a non-sch.uk domain. we got .org.uk teachers are much happier as it's easier to remember. we then forward any mail for .sch.uk to .org.uk with a mail relay.
    Ok my next question is who would you recommend getting a new domain from? Google use godaddy.

Thanks for you time on this.

Thank Post
    you could try your current ISP - keep everything in the same place.
    I sometimes use csnewmedia CS New Media Web Hosting - UK Based Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS & Dedicated Servers

Thank Post
    £8.00 per year sound good.

Do you know if its possible to create a CNAME or TXT record in the domain's DNS settings for csnewmedia. Its one of the ways to verify Google setup.

Thank Post
    £8.00 per year sound good.

Do you know if its possible to create a CNAME or TXT record in the domain's DNS settings for csnewmedia. Its one of the ways to verify Google setup.
    yes, create a CNAME. you'd only do the text file if you had a webserver to put it on.

Thank Post
    f I login as admin create a site then login as a pupil they have edit rights to my admin site is this the case in the full educational version?
    I found a way to disable this in the standard sites but hope the full ed system has a batch gui way to control security in sites.

I have just purchased a .sch.uk domain and just need it to become live before setting up Google apps. I may also have a play with live@edu but this doesn't have any web design software although I did read in a forum they might add a cut down share point.

Thank Post
    I may also have a play with live@edu but this doesn't have any web design software although I did read in a forum they might add a cut down share point.
    I'd like to know what you find - last time I looked at live@edu it didn't have a fraction of the functionality of google apps. Now they have integrated picasa and so many more google owned and marketplace applications I still think google is way ahead, but I'd be interested to know what you find.

Thank Post
    CyberNerd I cant find how to change the CNAME on my domain at csnewmedia and can't seem to link my account with the forum to ask. Also nobody is picking up the phone. Sorry but do you have access to check how its done.

Thank Post
    CyberNerd I cant find how to change the CNAME on my domain at csnewmedia and can't seem to link my account with the forum to ask. Also nobody is picking up the phone. Sorry but do you have access to check how its done.
    My domains > 'edit button' on right hand side > DNS management > Add CNAME record

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast