+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Google sites and apps for education info in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    their 80's style mercenary business model is hard to stomach these days especially when there are far better offers on the table.
    As much as I like bashing MS and the fact that I use OpenOffice on all my curriculum computers across 7 schools (except the one where the head insisted on buying MS) the pricing of their office package is now quite reasonable (£33/machine in my case) whereas 8 years ago it was £66/machine)

IMHO, that sort of price differential - compared to free with OpenOffice/GoogleApps etc pretty much matches the ease of use/features of a client installed Office Suite.

I choose to push free software to get the maximum out of our school budgets but every teacher I know would prefer it if we had MS Office but usually they accept that its not worth paying 15% of the price of a netbook just to make life a bit easier for themselves

regards
    Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    the pricing of their office package is now quite reasonable (£33/machine in my case)
    Simon
    That's £24,288 for us and if that's annual then I'm sorry but Microsoft can shove it because that translates to about 70 iPads/Chrome Netbooks every year with no licensing costs and everything flowing through the cloud.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,985 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrweekender View Post
    Also "co-branded for your school at no cost." co-branded - sounds like advertising to me. No adverts or "co-branding" in Google Apps.
    You mean google apps for education doesn't have the Google logo on it anywhere? I highly doubt that...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    You mean google apps for education doesn't have the Google logo on it anywhere? I highly doubt that...
    Oh yes sorry it's an image 54px - 24px right at the bottom of the email page - it's tiny. After all it is called Google Apps. The Main logo is our own and there are no adverts. I know hard to believe isn't it?

Microsoft co-branded - oh please more like Bill Gates has finally run out of ideas for making money so he's just going to sell advertising space in an education platform and brainwash our kids even further. And I didn't think Microsoft could sink any lower!

Thank Post
    I must admit it was all the extra clutter on the live@edu that is putting me off almost as much as the administration of the system. Google does have some minor issues from an admin stand point, although MS seem to have more, but at least the google pages are very clean with nothing extra, which from a primary school perspective is a must.

Live@Edu admin accounts got an e-mail in October about the move to "Office365 for Education" sometime(!) next year and more recently another e-mail giving advance notice about the phased roll-out of what look like some significant changes/enhancements
    Can someone send me or point me to a list of these significant changes, so I can take it into account.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,985 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrweekender View Post
    Oh yes sorry it's an image 54px - 24px right at the bottom of the email page - it's tiny. After all it is called Google Apps. The Main logo is our own and there are no adverts. I know hard to believe isn't it?
    You commented about co-branding. Co-branding is where both your branding, and the operating company's branding are shown. Why is it bad if Microsoft do this, but not bad when Google do it?

Microsoft co-branded - oh please more like Bill Gates has finally run out of ideas for making money so he's just going to sell advertising space in an education platform and brainwash our kids even further. And I didn't think Microsoft could sink any lower!
    That attitude is simply one which I have a single response - grow up and smell the coffee. Businesses are there to make money!

7. Thanks to localzuk from:

funkyfin2000 (23rd June 2011)

Thank Post
    Live@Edu doesn't have adverts on btw, when you put your branding on it takes off ads on SkyDrive etc and just leaves a little "by Windows Live" logo in the corner.

Tbh the email they sent doesn't tell you much, but does hint at MS charging for Live@Edu premium services the way I've been reading it...

Live@edu

If they want to keep up with Google they have to do this...

- replace SkyDrive with a SharePoint-based storage system... free for Live@Edu
    - the SharePoint system also needs to give some similar functionality to Google Sites... free for Live@Edu
    - email needs to stay as is... free for Live@Edu
    - APIs to access the SharePoint file system need to be made available
    - MS need to sit down and rewrite the Moodle plugin to work in the correct manner (i.e. not require changing your entire site's auth method to LiveID) and integrate with the SharePoint file storage i.e. as a Moodle 2.0 repository. If they make the plugin 2.0 only it'll be a lot less work, OK not ideal but I think a fair trade-off now.

As for Lync does anyone care? That can stay as an add-on package, if anyone wants it they'll most likely already be using it.

They really need to get some decent info out there about when the new services are coming in as it's becoming rather frustrating not knowing what's on the horizon with very very vague info from MS... makes you wonder if they know themselves what's going on at times???

If they try and start charging for the core Live@Edu services we'll drop it, simple as. I've been a fan of it and the Moodle integration from early last year but if MS start taking liberties the market will speak!

Thank Post
    Can someone send me or point me to a list of these significant changes, so I can take it into account.
    Sadly not in any detail. There's a copy of the service email on this site. Guess it depends on your definition of "significant" but some of that stuff in the first para. fits with mine.

Thank Post
    This seems to be the closest to official info at the moment...

Live@edu Blog - Outlook Live Answers

Just weighed in with my 2p on there as well

Thank Post
    Just tried offisync which syncs MS office desktop apps with google services. I was surprised to find you can save you office files not only into Google docs but straight into the website (Google Sites) so pupils can work in office and save to a website without learning anything more or leaving the MS office environment.

offisync charge for the full version but I saw lots of others. Can anyone recommend something similar for me to test out.

Thank Post
    This seems to be the closest to official info at the moment...
    I looked quite hard and ended up at Bradley too (there's also a blog page). Apart from that the best place I've found for useful info so far is last month's Tech-Ed presentations, for instance Microsoft Live@edu: Moving Your School Communication and Collaboration to the Cloud which somewhere talks about Forefront for Exchange & policy which I'm assuming is the Feb 2011 "new capabilities for compliance, policy, SPAM and anti-virus management".. and finishes with 10 or so mins on OfE which has more data than I've found elsewhere e.g. the slide at ~ 51 mins in actually tells me a few things about the Sharepoint, Lync etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    "new capabilities for compliance, policy, SPAM and anti-virus management"
    Google's acquisition of Postini in 2007 has added robust security policies, SPAM and antivirus to Google Apps - free for education, 4 years before MS...
    Some details here for the comparison: Welcome to Postini powered services

Thank Post
    Aren't there signup deadlines? For instance The Google Apps for Education team is happy to announce that Message Security by Postini for Google Apps for Education is available free for a limited time .... from July 2009 - December 31, 2010

I haven't got a clue, but does that look like the entire Postini stuff you have in mind or just some extra feature? If it's the lot then you said "4 years", so was or wasn't the ability to make custom policy (everyone inc. MS and Google has long had defacto AS + AV) available before July 2009?

--

Edit: Following your link, at the bottom of the Email security page I read "Discounts are available to schools and non-profits. 250 user minimum".
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 15th December 2010 at 02:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Looks like most of my schools will be to late for the postini free stuff

Thank Post
    offisync charge for the full version but I saw lots of others. Can anyone recommend something similar for me to test out.
    Just found that Google are beta testing Google Cloud Connect for Microsoft Office, which is going to be free.

Official Google Enterprise Blog: A bridge to the cloud: Google Cloud Connect for Microsoft Office now available to early testers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast