+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Google sites and apps for education info in Technical; DNS management is missing. probably needs 24hrs to populate. I'll check tomorrow. Thanks CyberN...

Thank Post
    DNS management is missing. probably needs 24hrs to populate. I'll check tomorrow. Thanks CyberN

Thank Post
    Having a few problems with this. Still no DNS management and very slow to get back to me. I'll give them a few more days and then try another company.

Thank Post
    I wouldn't use GoDaddy as they are a bit remote - I had problems with one domain name supplier who "accidentally" reset one of my domain records and it took me ages to get a response from them, which was not helped by having no phone number and having to rely on email with a response commitment of 24 hours - not very good when the Head is screaming at you. Since then I have used Heart Internet and they have always been great.

Thank Post
    I think they offer slightly different features and benefits which could actually be used together. Live@Edu has versions of Office and Sharepoint which although they are cut down do offer a sense of familiarity, especially to staff, and are still probably a little more functional than Google for basic stuff. Google seems best for communication and callaboration - GMail is SO much better. I'm going to review both over Xmas so now I've found this forum I'll post my thoghts

Thank Post
    Well DNS turned up on the page and I got an email so all working. They must be checking this site.

I have just setup Google cname records and ready to test Google Apps.

On another note can MS Sharepoint be used as a basic website for the school or is it more a form/work holding place. I have never used it but will be testing at some point.

Thank Post
    OK next issue. Signed up for apps education but when logged in displays Standard Edition. Is this correct? I cant send google an email as the system is using the Standard Edition so I cant get the Customer PIN from the support pages to get it changed. I seem to be in a catch 22.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Thank Post
    will not let me sign up again with the same domain. I thought I went through the education sign-up pages but must be the standard pages. So how do I contact Google and get them to change it to the education version if I cant contact them. PANTS

Hold on during the signup it asked me how many users I was going to have I selected 500. Would the standard version let me do this?

Its at this point a phone number would be very handy.

Thank Post
    Thinking back I am 95% sure it was the education version. Do they put you on standard while they check you are a school?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    Thinking back I am 95% sure it was the education version. Do they put you on standard while they check you are a school?
    yes, there is a verification procedure

Thank Post

Its at this point a phone number would be very handy.

there is a number 0845 600 0278 - but you will need you customer PIN and support PIN - which you don't have until your either a paying or educational customer.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    yes, there is a verification procedure
    also double and triple check all your MX records etc are working

Thank Post
    not set mx records only cname as the schools will not be using gmail externally.

How do they verify?
    On the form they ask for Organization name, but anyone could fill this with a school name.
    They don't ask for an address.
    They do have the phone number.
    I created a new domain using .net for the domain so its not a sch.uk domain. I have a few reasons for doing this. 1)My schools get free CC approved utils via the sch.uk address so cant be used for anything else. 2) I look after 4 schools so before they start using Google apps I need to sell it to them, and the only way to do this is create a working test system on a separate domain for them to see.

I did try the phone number above. They could do with an option for non verified users.

Thank Post
    not set mx records only cname as the schools will not be using gmail externally.
    doesn't that rather defeat the point? how are you going to communicate with anyone?
    I suggest you do fix the MX record, and then limit incoming/outgoing email using postini.

How do they verify?
    sorry. I really don't remember. suffice to say our .org.uk domain was verified and google happily accepted us as an educational establishment about a week later.

Thank Post
    The process is quite protracted and they do check out your school. You cannot rush through the system you have to do it in stages. These stages are notified to you at each point. It takes about 10 days overall to set up not ten minutes I am afraid. You always appear to be waiting for the next step to come along but trust me once its set up you wont look back.
    I gave you my number in a pm so why dont you call and we can chat?
    Moriarty...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast