+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Do primary school pupils need an online storage area (VLE) in Technical; Hi all, The previous Government required all schools to have some form of e-portfolio or online area for the students ...

Thank Post

Do primary school pupils need an online storage area (VLE)

Hi all,

The previous Government required all schools to have some form of e-portfolio or online area for the students to save work to.

One of my schools has asked me to look at changing our VLE as nobody is using it in the way it should and I wanted to look at options without this storage area.

I know that MIS information for parents to view has been dropped but does anyone have any info about VLE's.

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    Hi all,

One of my schools has asked me to look at changing our VLE as nobody is using it in the way it should ....
    I think that will probably be your problem regardless of what you implement.

A VLE is only as good as the information put in to it by the teachers and then in repsonse by the pupils. You could put in the greatest VLE ever known that does everything they could want, but unless the head leads by saying I want this used and then explaining why you will be fighting a loosing battle.

Having said that, if you want a good VLE then Moodle is great and with the right plugins from people such as Salamandersoft it will intergrate with your MIS to provide reporting to parents and you can also implement linking to storage with the school and SSO if you would like.

Rich

Thank Post
    Well you have not used uniservity.

If its not a requirement for the pupils to have an online area I don't need a VLE and that opens up far more options in regards to the schools website as it has to be held offsite and we would need to pay even for moodle.

Thank Post
    @edutech4schools

The driver for a VLE and Parental Engagment is now coming from OFSTED. Under the new framework a school wont be able to achieve outstanding without having a vle at the centre of their students learning and if they dont engage with parents.

If you are using uniservity (I have used it), moodle is a step up and far more flexible.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold_99 View Post
    @edutech4schools

The driver for a VLE and Parental Engagment is now coming from OFSTED. Under the new framework a school wont be able to achieve outstanding without having a vle at the centre of their students learning and if they dont engage with parents.

If you are using uniservity (I have used it), moodle is a step up and far more flexible.
    @penfold_99

Can you provide references for this please?

Thank Post
    Just to slightly redress the Moodle love ...)

I find the admin side of Moodle to be very counter intuitive and many times I find myself clicking and scrolling on pages far more than I should have too.

Teachers that buy into it can make it sing - standard ones usually either hate it or simply don't understand how to use it from one training session to the next.

As others have said, unless its lead from the front - it ends up not being used

This is in primaries in Lancs with CLEO hosted Moodles

regards

Simon

Thank Post

8. Thanks to penfold_99 from:

jamesreedersmith (4th November 2010)

Thank Post
    a school wont be able to achieve outstanding without having a vle
    What part of the website do they class as the VLE. For example if I created a site that contained class pages for the students to upload work into to be viewed by all visitors on the site does that count? or do they need somewhere that only they have access to store work in (e-portfolio)?

Originally primary schools were going to pass the portfolio onto the secondary schools but as non of the secondary schools use the same systems as primary schools that is not going to happen.

Thank Post
    Hi
    The previous Government required all schools to have some form of e-portfolio or online area for the students to save work to.
    I don't think this is actually true...although I'm not 100% sure. I think the idea that students had to have an on-line storage area was a BECTA ''recommendation''.
    The only thing that is statutory in Primary schools with regard to provision is National Curriculum.

Having said that if OFSTED roll up and you're not jumping through the latest hoop, whether statutory or not, you'll need to have a good reason as to why you're not doing it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    Hi all,

I know that MIS information for parents to view has been dropped but does anyone have any info about VLE's.

Cheers.
    Hello. Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but can you tell me where you got the info on the dropping of the MIS info for parents? We are going through the procurement process for VLP at moment, like others, and getting hold of definitive answers as to what we have to have (statutory wise) is really hard. Can you reference this? Thanks.

Thank Post
    I called the DFE and was told on the phone and pointed to a page on the site. Home - The Department for Education cant remember what page, sorry.

Thank Post
    Update: The page basically said the school need a method to give parents information they request on their child within a reasonable amount of time. The old page wanted the info in real-time.

If you call the dfe can you post back if things have changed.

Thank Post
    Working with several schools, the message that the Coalition has removed the expectation for online reporting to parents has come as a relief, but you can bet it won't be too long before it is reintroduced in a new guise. This link was discovered, ok its from Nov 2010, but we don't think anything has been found that gives more detail yet.

Speaking as CoG at my local primary, having a secure and globally accessible (i.e. Governor, Teacher, Pupil, Parent) VLE should be thought as best practice and we're working out how to to do that this year. As long as its accessible (read 'easy to access, login, edit, and use'), VLE's will gain traction and it should definitely be a top-down driven model.

Working on LPPLUS in Northants I'm seeing strong signs of benefiting all of these groups. Once the Governing body see the management benefits and the staff have the right support and tools in place to make life easy, you are on a winner and the kids will use it with their parents (Kaboom! Parental Engagement starts then!)

Thank Post
    MIS info for parents is a hot topic for Primary schools as they might only have a part time tech, a part time Sims administrator and normally see all the parents each day when they drop the kids into school. The kids normally stay in one class all day, and the register is done on paper and handed into the office.

I can see it would be handy if my child was at secondary school so I can check they have been into a lesson.

I do think all schools should have a VLE but parental engagement can also be achieved by me giving the students a maths website to visit while at home.

16. 2 Thanks to edutech4schools:

Andie (3rd February 2011), SimpleSi (3rd February 2011)

Thank Post
    I was in a meeting with representatives from around 20 schools the other day and they were asking the exact same question. Even the ones that were heavily behind VLE's and using it well were really questioning its need, simply due to its cost. I'm not a teacher but I'm not sure they need a VLE, would a free storage area, blog and the use of various free resources not be enough especially in the current climate?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast