+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, SharePoint hosting on the web? in Technical; Has anyone had any experience of SharePoint (2010) hosting on the web, and might want to point me in a ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Question SharePoint hosting on the web?

Has anyone had any experience of SharePoint (2010) hosting on the web, and might want to point me in a good direction?

Thank Post
    Greed,
    Can you expand a little but more on your requirements.

Thanks

Alex

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    M$ BPOS...?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apearce View Post
    Greed,
    Can you expand a little but more on your requirements.

Thanks

Alex
    I am looking for the facility to host a document storage and learning environment (SharePoint being my product of choice), possibly a hosted VM with SP build into that, but the end result being the same. The environment will be a more static, website type result with the facility to upload and maintain documents, and with many pages/sites devised to deliver content interactive content.

Thank Post
    The issue will be cost. Not many 2010 hosting suppliers at present. SharePoint 2010 Hosting | Hosted SharePoint 2010 | SharePoint 2010 Hosted

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NewOrder View Post
    The issue will be cost.
    Doesn't everything?!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I looked at this some time ago with a former colleague. He has taken his school fully over to Live@edu (more or less).

I am looking for something more server hosted, much like having my own server that I can arrs about with, that is web based. With this I want to deploy SharePoint, although failing this SharePoint hosted just as a site like any other will be great.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 25th January 2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: language

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    For him it was hugely successful, the school now runs very well with that setup and the staff are all well trained in its use. I should know, I was asked to do the training for their migration!

9. Thanks to GREED from:

jinnantonnix (2nd November 2010)

Thank Post
    If you build an LMS into live@edu you nearly have it all. Do you need your own school hosted vle? People will say is it secure is it linked to the MIS. Well how many VLE's are truely interoperable with their MIS, how many VLE's push their scorm results to the MIS?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NewOrder View Post
    The issue will be cost. Not many 2010 hosting suppliers at present. SharePoint 2010 Hosting | Hosted SharePoint 2010 | SharePoint 2010 Hosted
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    I looked at this some time ago with a former colleague. He has taken his school fully over to Live@edu (more or less).

I am looking for something more server hosted, much like having my own server that I can arse about with, that is web based. With this I want to deploy SharePoint, although failing this SharePoint hosted just as a site like any other will be great.
    Live @ edu seems the way to go if it's an educational establishment, though if you want the full hosting type service, then look at the business side of things like Microsoft Business Productivity Online , i think that's what the acronym is for.. or the new Office 365 live. they are paid for but will give you better management i reckon, plus you can just buy into sharepoint hosting.

I'm looking for similar here but it's not launched for business use yet. Live @ edu will bring those features, but it seems slow to develop.

I tried using the skydrive feature to share some files, but when i want to create a distribution list, i have to make my own, it wont allow me to use other live @ edu users from my contacts list. It's still a little bit too hotmaily for me, things don't appear to link together as you'd want. At least i couldn't find how, and i've got the Master Teacher Certification for it like Alex!!

Overall it's a good setup for free. I'm really liking Office live, and not needing to have Office installed on the PC anymore. eliminates all those issues with incompatible version of Office documents, or home users with Works instead of Word! We're just testing out collaborative documents.

12. Thanks to vikpaw from:

GREED (3rd November 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Cheers Vik

Thank Post
    I have used these people in the past to host a MOSS implementation for me - no problems and quite a good level of support. I believe they were intending to provide a free 2010 solution, but don't know if that ever happened...

SharePoint 2010 Hosting - Hosted SharePoint Server by Fpweb.net

Mark

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I tried using the skydrive feature to share some files, but when i want to create a distribution list, i have to make my own, it wont allow me to use other live @ edu users from my contacts list. It's still a little bit too hotmaily for me, things don't appear to link together as you'd want. At least i couldn't find how, and i've got the Master Teacher Certification for it like Alex!!
    The reason this won't work is because Windows Live SkyDrive falls into the user-owned & managed half of the service. Live@edu has two distinct halves: Outlook Live, and Windows Live.

The institution has full control over the Outlook Live half of the service, which is delivered using Exchange Online. Because all users of Live@edu are required to have a Windows Live ID they get access to the Windows Live services but these cannot be managed beyond being able to co-brand and limit access.

You can share files held in a SkyDrive with anyone; you just can't pull a list directly from your Outlook Live GAL, unfortunately.

16. Thanks to jamesbmarshall from:

vikpaw (25th January 2011)

Thank Post
    This is free, apparently. It provides Sharepoint, Exchange and doc storage via Skydrive.
    It might be of some use to you.
    Sorry to jump in on this forum but does live@edu have sharepoint? just about to test this and google apps out.

Thank Post
    Currently Live@edu does not have SharePoint Online.

When Office 365 for education is released sometime next year the offering will change to include SharePoint Online and Lync Online (the new name for OCS).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast