+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moodle - front page specific question in Technical; In moodle, i am trying to use it as our school website, more as a collaboration tool for more staff ...

Thank Post

Moodle - front page specific question

In moodle, i am trying to use it as our school website, more as a collaboration tool for more staff to get involved with the updating and content on the website...

We also use it for our VLE, hence the reason for using it over something like Joomla, so I had hoped to cut training etc...and have some skills crossover.

So far it is going quite well, and we have managed to turn moodle into an excellent website.

Anyway, back to the problem...is there anyway to turn off subscriptions on the news forums attached to the front page? I figured out/researched how to remove the topic outline which appears on every course, which I am using as pages on moodle, but am desperate to remove the link to "subscribe to this forum" once auto logged in as a guest.

I guess I can comment the line out of the forums module .php file but where do I find/start.

Thanks,
    Mark

Thank Post
    When you "figured out how to remove the topic outline" did you do it locally via site administration>language>language editing>edit words and phrases>moodle.php?Because if you didn't then this is probably the best place to change the wordings, and if you did- then you go to the same path but choose forum.php instead of moodle.php to alter subscribe to this forum. Howeve, after three glasses of wine that's as far as my brain is working at the moment - I am sure there is a better way to do this, as if you get rid of or change the words there they will change for everywhere on Moodle and that might be a bit too dramatic. I will have a think for a better solution.
    Last edited by secretlife; 30th October 2010 at 09:05 PM.

Thank Post
    Ok - here is my second reply. I do not get the Subscribe to this forum in the news forum when not logged in on the front page. Can you explain your set up?

Thank Post
    Hi,

Since we are using moodle as an open website, i have setup pages od the website, as courses.
    To allow anyone to view the courses, I have set moodle to auto login as guest.
    When the homepage loads up for the first time, subscribe to forum doesnt show.
    However, once a user visits another page, then returns to the homepage, it shows up.

I will investigate forum.php as a starting point.

Thanks
    Mark

Thank Post
    if you want to have a look at a moodle as a website feel free to look at ours

www.thepeele.co.uk
    nick

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread