+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Problem with SMTP email out from Moodle via Live@Edu domain in Technical; Ok, here's the scenario : For last 3 or 4 months have been running a Moodle pilot under a subdomain ...
    Thank Post

Problem with SMTP email out from Moodle via Live@Edu domain

Ok, here's the scenario :

For last 3 or 4 months have been running a Moodle pilot under a subdomain of my own - all working fine.

Employer asks me to now set this up properly on a VPS owned by them (Linux). All running ok course-wise. Implemented Live@Edu for emails using firstname.lastname@vle.ourdomain.co.uk and the service works fine.

I have two addresses - admin@ and support@ for use by support requests and and notifications.

Can't seem to get Moodle to send anything out though. I have checked I've got the right SMTP settings from the Live@Edu domain and I've tried all the settings in Moodle under Server=>Email but it just won't send anything. Getting error saying it doesn't recognise the admin@ address yet via live.com this address is working perfectly.

Anyone using the Moodle/Live@Edu combination got any suggestions ?

Many thanks

Thank Post
    I'd firstly confirm you can mail out from the VPS from the shell prompt just to rule out any potential firewall stuff.

Can you show us the error & a screenshot (with any personal details blurred) of the settings to get a feel for this.

And this all worked fine on your previous set up? (What was different on this?)

Thank Post
    Thanks for a quick response.

I'm really looking for someone that knows Moodle and Live@Edu combined so I don't end up chasing my tail here.

Moodle settings are :

moodle smtp.jpg

and yes, I've tried it with and without account details etc. The SMTP is def the one that Live@Edu tells me to use for the domain.

Inside Moodle if I try to send a chat message to someone not online it should then send it by email. Without the Live@Edu pod..... setting it says it can't find an SMTP server. With or without an email address and account details entered in the Moodle settings it comes up with this :

moodle test message.jpg

If I have an email address entered in the Moodle settings then it just says it doesn't recognise the address.

Differences ? Well the old pilot didn't use Live@Edu at all, just POP boxes off the server and worked fine.

Employers server is identical (same company for hosting etc). Originally setup with a couple of POP boxes (but not tested email via Moodle, otherwise worked ok). Then for Live@Edu we had to change the MX record so email is only via Live@Edu.

I cna't play with MX records as I don't have control over the fomain and it's goes through 2 other companies to make changes so not a quick (or really viable) option.

I know on Moodle.org some people have mentioned some problems with email notifications on v1.9.x. Only other thing I can think of si that Live@Edu won't permit the SMTP connection but it seems odd when I'm sure others are using this config with no problems.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We use the moodle plugin for live@edu, which is for enabling users to easily access their live@edu mailbox from within moodle.

For the sendmail part of moodle, we just use the built-in sendmail on the mooodle server, or whatever the default is. So if a teacher for example uses the classlist, and then the send mail function, it will send to all the students, from the teachers email addrress, but its just sent straight from the moodle box, it doesnt use live@edu for sending or anything.
    Last edited by RabbieBurns; 10th October 2010 at 11:31 AM.

Thank Post
    OK, well you can either wait for someone who does know about Moodle/Live@Edu or accept help from someone who knows about Linux, Moodle & SMTP.

Firstly for your moodle set up I would strongly recommend you set up the no reply address on that page as that alone could be the problem since it's complaining about a "From" address. - Also worth double checking your Moodle account has a valid email configured within the profile.

RabbieBurn's has the same set up many people will use but depending upon the set up of the domain itself (for sending verification etc) this may or may not work properly.

If you take out the live@edu pod51007.outlook.com and put in localhost instead what happens? (or you could try putting qmail in there as a little hack).

Thank Post
    Having tried a quick telnet you simply can't get out to podwotsit from schools here right now and that's because there is no outbound hole in the LA firewall for it. Thus I would have to use the official SMTP mail relay for schools here, either directly or via a local mail server. That might not be your problem, but the very first place to start is with telnet e.g. on Windows I do:

telnet pod51007.outlook.com 587

If the path is clear you get a "Microsoft ESMTP.." banner back.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    OK, well you can either wait for someone who does know about Moodle/Live@Edu or accept help from someone who knows about Linux, Moodle & SMTP.

Firstly for your moodle set up I would strongly recommend you set up the no reply address on that page as that alone could be the problem since it's complaining about a "From" address. - Also worth double checking your Moodle account has a valid email configured within the profile.

RabbieBurn's has the same set up many people will use but depending upon the set up of the domain itself (for sending verification etc) this may or may not work properly.

If you take out the live@edu pod51007.outlook.com and put in localhost instead what happens? (or you could try putting qmail in there as a little hack).
    My apologies. I wasn't trying to sound disparaging of your advice. I know, however, from other Moodle threads and Live@Edu threads that there is a good chance that someone has this specific combination.

Tried the noreply address option - makes no difference to responses. Same with localhost in the SMTP section.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    Having tried a quick telnet you simply can't get out to podwotsit from schools here right now and that's because there is no outbound hole in the LA firewall for it. Thus I would have to use the official SMTP mail relay for schools here, either directly or via a local mail server. That might not be your problem, but the very first place to start is with telnet e.g. on Windows I do:

telnet pod51007.outlook.com 587

If the path is clear you get a "Microsoft ESMTP.." banner back.
    LA is not an issue as we're a private college. However, I am getting this issue from home with no firewall considerations to take account of.

Thank Post
    LA is not an issue as we're a private college. However, I am getting this issue from home with no firewall considerations to take account of.
    So does the telnet test work or not on the moodle box? Net e-mail and I have a 20 year history - I routinely don't and wouldn't recommend spend time fiddling with config for *any* application attempting e-mail until I'd done that quick test.

The test works fine for me on Virgin Media , but I guess it must be your ISP at home (spambot prevention etc.), or sometimes it's AV blocking it for the same reasons.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    So does the telnet test work or not on the moodle box? Net e-mail and I have a 20 year history - I routinely don't and wouldn't recommend spend time fiddling with config for *any* application attempting e-mail until I'd done that quick test.

The test works fine for me on Virgin Media , but I guess it must be your ISP at home (spambot prevention etc.), or sometimes it's AV blocking it for the same reasons.
    No telnet does not work. However I can ping the server ok (but not on that specific port)

Interestingly, have gone back to start again with testing. Have removed all settings in the Moodle window except the noreply address and success ! (sort of)

Logged is as admin to the VLE and went to Moodle chat to send my user a message. Confirms email sent ok BUT I received it on the email address used when on my old server. It is not recognising my new profile user email address.

I think there may be something buried in the php somewhere which needs changing from when it moved servers. Tried the revers - my user send message to admin - get confirmation it has been sent but it's not turned up at any of the admin emails used.

Thank Post
    I doubt it's held in the php anywhere, I would try a "new" user on the vle to see if it works OK for them. (If so it's probably somewhere in your profile)

(Suspect you are now using the php mailer and the MTA on the server itself now rather than SMTP)

12. Thanks to kmount from:

UKDarkstar (10th October 2010)

Thank Post
    I doubt it's held in the php anywhere, I would try a "new" user on the vle to see if it works OK for them. (If so it's probably somewhere in your profile)

(Suspect you are now using the php mailer and the MTA on the server itself now rather than SMTP)
    Correct. There was no requirement to use SMTP; it just appeared that the mailer was not working.

Have tried a chat message from me to test student which also worked (to wrong address again). Then checked my profile settings in the chat window and it was the old address from the pilot (which explains things). Looks like if a user in Moolde chnages their email address it doesn't change the one held in the chat settings.

Thank Post
    That's annoying

Which version of Moodle are you using, might be worth digging through the SQL db to see if the 'old' email is mentioned anywhere in there.

Thank Post
    That's annoying

Which version of Moodle are you using, might be worth digging through the SQL db to see if the 'old' email is mentioned anywhere in there.
    Moodle 1.9.3 (Build: 20081015)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread