+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Fronter IFRAMES or OBJECT tags in Technical; Hi all, It rears its ugly head with a new Fronter user again: how can you simply embed another web ...

Thank Post

Fronter IFRAMES or OBJECT tags

Hi all,

It rears its ugly head with a new Fronter user again: how can you simply embed another web page within a given Fronter page?

If you write some HTML code that should embed another web page on a given Fronter web page using the IFRAME tag, upon saving the code you are told by the system that illegal code has been stripped - your attempts to embed another document appears fruitless!

e.g.
    <i frame src="h ttp://w ww.google.co.uk" height="400px" width="600px"></i frame>
    (please excuse the spaces - it would only post in this condition)

I've trawled through various topics on here with other technicians struggling to get objects embedded into the VLE web pages and there are talks of having the unsafe IFRAME tags unlocked at LEA level; more often than not this still doesn't rectify the problem?

Surely there is a parameter you can switch on/off to prevent the VLE from stripping the HTML code you enter?
    If there is, could I ask someone who has had success to list a clear step-by-step set of instructions that will talk me and others through it?

A workaround that I have already considered is to use the OBJECT tag, but this simply shows a blank white space (with disabled vertical scrollbars I might add) instead of the desired web page.

e.g.
    <o bject type="text/html" data="h ttp://w ww.google.co.uk" height="400px" width="600px"></o bject>

In contrast, other VLE's such as Frog, Moodle and SharePoint-based ones all offer great support for embedding external content to the VLE web pages.

Greatly looking forward to your suggestions,
    VLE_man

Thank Post
    Perhaps this post will help you: Fronter: Include web content (Google calendar) in 'My Today'?

Particularly this part:

basically you add a user defined button to a room

room > Customise tool package > new tool > User-defined button > type in the google calendar embed code

cfp

Thank Post

Perhaps a scorm workaround

I am fairly sure nothing will allow you to put iframes into Fronter's own pages. I can get a web page to appear in one of Fronter's pages but it isn't much use. It was a few weeks back but what I think I did was to paste in the code as if I was embedding a youtube video and then change the object data and the embed src to the url of the page that I wanted to include. I was surprised but it appeared as intended. The problem is that I am using Firefox on a Mac and it doesn't appear in IE on a pc so the workaround is of little use.

It is possible to upload pre-prepared pages with javascript and iframes if you have permission to upload 'dangerous code' but this still doesn't let you place the iframe in one of Fronter's own pages. There may be a workaround for people who don't have such permission. I have just added a post that came about as a result of my experiments with Scorm. It's the 'Cor it's Scorm' post in the 'Fronter workarounds' thread. Since I do have permission to upload scripts I can't properly test my suggestion there but it will not be too difficult for someone without permissions to try it out. Good luck.

Thank Post
    If you create a page using an html editor with iframes in then upload it to Fronter the iframes still work.
    You can have some of the iframes point back to Fronter pages to give the impression that they are integrated.
    Sorry CFP for repeat.
    See the bottom item on this page -
    How are you using Fronter?

Thank Post
    I have found a way of doing it, but it involves the editor/Fronter admin needing access to 'Rooms' and having the ability to add items to the 'Rooms' section.

1. Logon to Fronter with an administrator-level account.
    2. Click on 'Room' from the left-hand side toolbar.
    3. Look at the combobox towards the upper-right area of the new main content page that appears; choose 'Customise tool package' from the list.
    4. Click on 'New Tool' from the 'Tools' list (the selection will expand on the right).
    5. Scroll to the bottom of the list and click on 'User-defined button'.
    6. Enter the Title, Description and the URL of the web page you wanted to display in the IFRAME.
    7. Once finished, ensure the new 'Tool' is set to be visible to the appropriate Fronter users or use groups. Your intended users must be able to see the new item on the left-hand side toolbar under 'Room' once they've logged in.
    8. Click on the 'Save' button to complete the configuration of the 'Room' item.
    9. Click on a given 'Room' item from the left-hand side toolbar to see the webpage you originally intended to embed in an IFRAME.

For my interests, Case closed!

Hope this helped and thanks for everyone else's help.

Thank Post
    Here is a forum that has a few ideas and the reasons as to why fronter block iframes

iFrame woes and workarounds

Thank Post
    IFrames has been blocked for some time. I know not much help to the OP, The only way I found to solve this was to create a Tool, which is a WWW link, and place this at the top of the room tool list thus opening the website when you open the room. then if needed the user can select other room tools if needed.

Hope this helps.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread