+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, moodle on ubuntu server in Technical; Hi I am planning to move over moodle installation over to ubuntu server, from desktop. Please could somebody tell me ...

Thank Post

moodle on ubuntu server

Hi I am planning to move over moodle installation over to ubuntu server, from desktop. Please could somebody tell me how I can manage this and connect to it to see the files in the www var ? I also will be linking this to the network to transfer files etc?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Why?

Administering a server in this manner requires that you are comfortable and confident:

- using the shell to manage files
    - using the shell to administer MySQL databases
    - using the shell for disaster recovery (failed disk, for example)
    - using the shell to install and manage packages and complex configuration
    - using the shell to apply *very* important security patches, like the one last week that trivially allows root access to any user
    - using the shell to diagnose performance problems or attacks with minimum tools and maximum stress

If you are not both of those things in all of these tasks, it's not worth putting the school's data and your reputation on the line because it seems a good idea. ("because it has server in the name" is rarely a good reason).

Much better to set yourself up some play machines and get yourself a thorough understanding of the shell, the Ubuntu system and the File Hierarchy Standard first, then tackle a project like this. (tip: start with these things.)

3. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

itgeek (27th September 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks so much for your reply. I was thinking that moodle would run quicker on server. You have made me re-think my plans. Thanks again

Thank Post
    I am going to purchase a new moodle server. 1500 students 150 teachers what spec would you recommend

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by itgeek View Post
    I am going to purchase a new moodle server. 1500 students 150 teachers what spec would you recommend
    Moodle version 2 is going to be out Real Soon Now, so I think the best idea is to aim to get 2.0 installed and working and then move your data over to the new server - if something goes wrong you simply carry on using your current server until you figure out the problem. As with pretty much any server these days, buy a physical server that you then set up a virtual machine on - run your Moodle server as a VM, even if it's the only VM running on there. That way, next time it comes to moving hardware it's no problem. Any standard server should do, really - a processor capable of hardware support for virtualisation and a decent amount of disk storage (2TB disks are always worth money - I've been buying WD Caviar Greens as they seem to run very cool and quiet). It depends on your budget - you can put together a core i3/i5/i7 motherboard, processor, RAM, and 2TB of effective storage in a RAID-1 mirror for under £1,000 these days, or more if you buy a pre-made server from Dell or HP.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by itgeek View Post
    I was thinking that moodle would run quicker on server.
    There's no fundamental difference between desktop and server editions of Ubuntu. You'll lose a tiny bit of memory on the graphical desktop, but you really won't notice the difference.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread