+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moodle as School Website Front End in Technical; We've done it as well Was an idea I came up with last year as our website was in need ...
    Thank Post
    We've done it as well

Was an idea I came up with last year as our website was in need of replacement and thinking about the pages that would need to go on the VLE I just thought "why not merge them together"

Ended up with this...

Redbridge Institute of Adult Education: part time and evening courses for adults

Heavily customised theme so it barely looks like Moodle in places, use HTML blocks as your best friend to give a more user-friendly look. Embed external multimedia and interactive controls (e.g. Share This block, Google Maps etc) to extend standard Moodle functionality and you're away.

As mentioned above it gives a single portal for anyone to find anything on the site, that in itself has massively helped with the takeup of Moodle as people don't see it as a separate system anymore.

What you want to use is a standard course, guest access enabled and hide all topics so you just see the intro section. Use some CSS hacks to hide the "topic outline" bar from top of the screen et voila... nice web page ready for some styling. Also add Google tracking in the footer and you're sorted on the stats front as well.

More info and tips here...

http://www.redbridge-iae.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=141

If you're starting from scratch make sure you go for Moodle 2.0, much nicer HTML editor and better feature set. Seems like upgrades are a bit awkward at the moment for some people so avoid the 1.9 > 2.0 path if you can.

Thank Post
    Very nice indeed.

What's the trick in getting a website type dropdown menu?

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    On Moodle 1.9 you'll need to either find a theme with it or cook one in.

On Moodle 2.0 there's native support for it within most themes (i.e. you can define the dropdown as a Moodle setting rather than playing with code)

Best bet is to get yourself a spare PC running WAMPServer, install Moodle then mess with some themes using Firebug

Thank Post
    gives a single portal for anyone to find anything on the site, that in itself has massively helped with the takeup of Moodle as people don't see it as a separate system anymore.
    Very valid point for those considering combining website with VLE.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Very nice indeed.

What's the trick in getting a website type dropdown menu?

regards

Simon
    The trick is a rather nifty piece of code called the YUI menu system. Look it up on Google if you're interested in it's history.

Thank Post
    We've also been working on a test template http://www.webhabitat.co.uk to replace our current main site template http://allsaintsccfl.org.uk. We've integrated a YUI menu and a Javascript image rotator with translucent pop up menus and active url links. We'll be rolling this out in January but we originally developed this on Moodle 1.9 so it'll have to be ported to 2.0 first. Still needs a bit of tweaking but it's getting there. Hoping to fully integrate single sign on with Google Apps in Q1.
    Last edited by mrweekender; 14th December 2010 at 11:58 PM.

Thank Post
    Nice work on the site, looking good What theme did you use as the base for it?

You'll need to wait for the GApps Moodle 2.0 update, as far as I know the existing block doesn't work in 2.0?

I'm waiting for some decent themes to come out for 2.0 to work on as a base, not much out there that seems to fit the bill at the moment Thought about building one from scratch but need to spend some time figuring out the new theming system and haven't got time at the moment...

Thank Post
    Thanks very much. The template is based on the Afterburner template available on the Moodle site. We've done some serious rewrites of the css to get this all to work. I'll make the template available once it's all been tested and we've gone live with it.

Thank Post
    Tbh I thought it was Moodle 2.0, looks nice and modern. The only thing I'd say from experience is that the top banner might be a bit too high as on smaller screen res it can take up a large chunk of the screen when on a VLE course (had the same thing with our theme until I shrunk the top section down a bit)
    Last edited by gshaw; 17th December 2010 at 10:00 AM.

Thank Post
    We're just getting this sorted out now; thought appreciated: New Website

One issue I'm having is letting Guests onto a course without it opening the Login page. I want to be able to "hide" content from the front page on a course but link to it from other links/buttons etc on the front page. Is this possible?
    Last edited by demsley; 7th April 2011 at 06:48 PM. Reason: typos

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by demsley View Post
    We're just getting this sorted out now; thought appreciated: New Website
    It is lovely

One issue I'm having is letting Guests onto a course without it opening the Login page.
    Have you got it set to auto login guests in site admin>users>permissions>user policies?

I want to be able to "hide" content from the front page on a course but link to it from other links/buttons etc on the front page. Is this possible?
    Yes - but I am not quite sure what you mean - can you explain again? (the answer is still yes )

Thank Post
    So the Academic year is ending and we got the thing up and running with Moodle. Many thanks to all who responded, whether for or against the responses were very valuable.

For anyone interested in what we have ended up with: Shelley College Website

Again Many Thanks.

Dave

PS it is the same link as the earlier post.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by secretlife View Post
    Yes - but I am not quite sure what you mean - can you explain again? (the answer is still yes )
    I have sorted it by hiding the link to the actual book whilst still linking to pages within them. If you look at ICT Support section you'll see it launches other books which are not linked to the main page.

Thank Post

We did

We used to use Moodle as a kind of hybrid website and VLE, but have since moved the web content off to Joomla. We do however display the Joomla news as an RSS feed in our Moodle page . . .. The two work really well together and having finally got similiar themes across the two I'm almost happy.

Clystvale Moodle
    Clystvale Joomla

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12