+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Frog - Slow ! Pulling my hair out in Technical; So this week we started using Frog in anger, getting Students to log into Frog for the first time and ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Frog - Slow ! Pulling my hair out

So this week we started using Frog in anger, getting Students to log into Frog for the first time and ICT Teachers using the first ICT Lesson to explain things and show them whats what.

However, as soon as peeps starting logging into the thing, it's turned into a lethargic toad! Really slow logins, an age to display anything and even getting into the Toolkit seems problematic. Only really occurs when people first logon. Major disappointment.

We've raised a call, and monitoring should be occuring by Frogtrade, but I'm now doubting my ability in my network thinking that maybe I've set something up wrong, or is something upsetting it, but generally everything else is fine.

Just wondered if anybody else has suffered this?

Pete

dsm

Thank Post
    Hi,

Had Frog for a few years now and there's never been a problem with speed - that's one of the best bits because it's hosted on site. Have you got your DNS set up properly?

Regards

Thank Post
    Sounds like your network speed or like the previous post with DNS.

What happens if you try http://frogserver. Are you using a secure site https to access it?

Have you tried in a browser going directly to the frog servers ip address. That will tell you if its DNS related.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If this application connects to the site of Frog. Maybe they have something set up wrong and not you? Page refresh is just one.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    DNS is fine, the same problem also when using its IP address. I've even been going through the DNS servers checking everything is as it should be. When we experienced a 'slow down' I connected to another internal server hosting our booking system as this was as fast as normal. Appears to happen primarily at start of lesson when the FrogLive component starts logging in all the students, it just seems to grind to a halt.

Had a few enquiries from Frogtrade on setup, but nothing detailed yet from them; 2nd Line support never seem to be at their desk when I call.

I'm getting my arsed chewed my SMT at the mo. Point of hosting it internally was so it would be nice and quick.

Pete

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A shot in the dark here but is there anything on there pointing to an external website? Maybe if there is it could be a dead link or the site maybe blocked?

What is it like when you access it from your home connection?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hmmmmm.... Interesting. We do have the I AM Learning Widget (which links itself externally) on the main template. I guess I could try moving that elsewhere as a long shot.

Network infrastructure is pretty much brand new; in the fortunately position that during recent refurb work we've managed to get a whole new backbone, new server room and core switch (HP ProCurve 5106zl) out of it. We really noticed the difference when we moved over to it about a year ago.

Pete

Thank Post

We are having the same problem

Have you found anything that works yet?

Thank Post
    I’m thinking this might be a Frog live related issue with PHP logon requests. I know when another school in Wilts (beginning with S) lunched Frog to students had a problem with speed at the start of lessons. Might be worth giving them a ring and see if they are still having this issue.

I currently don’t have any problems with speed but not using Frog Live. Problem with Frog live is you go from only the students needing to access Frog logging to, all users on the network logging on then also logging onto Frog.

I know of another two school using Moodle that had similar problems when launching the VLE as the home page. The solution to this was a PHP accelerator. I’m not a Frog expert but to my knowledge they don’t use any PHP accelerators. This would be a development problem for Frogtrade to look at.

I’m going to launch the Frog live for all users soon (next couple of weeks)so will let you know what happens to speed.
    Last edited by MicrodigitUK; 13th September 2010 at 08:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MicrodigitUK View Post

I’m going to lunch the Frog live for all users soon (next couple of weeks)so will let you know what happens to speed.
    So, would that be a buffet lunch, then; or something more formal?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EdWhittaker View Post
    So, would that be a buffet lunch, then; or something more formal?
    launch

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FragglePete View Post
    So this week we started using Frog in anger, getting Students to log into Frog for the first time and ICT Teachers using the first ICT Lesson to explain things and show them whats what.

However, as soon as peeps starting logging into the thing, it's turned into a lethargic toad! Really slow logins, an age to display anything and even getting into the Toolkit seems problematic. Only really occurs when people first logon. Major disappointment.

We've raised a call, and monitoring should be occuring by Frogtrade, but I'm now doubting my ability in my network thinking that maybe I've set something up wrong, or is something upsetting it, but generally everything else is fine.

Just wondered if anybody else has suffered this?

Pete
    We are having the exact same problem... we've had around 120+ users connected at once during the introductory ICT lessons and it has just ground to a halt.

We have however noticed that it loads much faster in ff instead of their recommended IE. Contacted frog tech support, but heard nothing back yet.

Is anyone aware of the maximum concurrent users?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adamchapman View Post
    Is anyone aware of the maximum concurrent users?
    You would of thought it was the maximum number of students and staff in school, but I doubt it.

I think Frogtrade rally need to look into this ASAP as more and more schools implement Frog with Frog Live it seems that the PHP processing can’t cope. Most of the PHP requests are replicated with multiple users pulling up the same pages/content. That’s where PHP accelerators come in to play by cashing and reusing popular content. This saves the server having to process every signal PHP request for the same page/content.
    Last edited by MicrodigitUK; 13th September 2010 at 08:59 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh Christ! Thanks for the replies!

I've spoken to Frog today, and the engineer mentioned they saw my post here ! to all FrogTrade Engineers!

This morning I went through all my DNS Server settings, and double checked everything. Had a few erroneous settings, which I've corrected, cleared out a couple of things and dealt with any DNS messages (only informational) within the Event Logs. Nothing though I believe would be affecting this.

In discussion with them, I've removed the I Am Learning Widget from the main template so its now not loading an externally hosted logo image on every page to see if this helps and tomorrow (Tuesday) we shall see how it goes.

Will be getting in touch with our 'partner' School to discuss with them; will be in touch MicrodigitUK !. SMT, let alone the whole School are looking at me to get this fixed, I'm not happy. I'm even thinking of asking another Network Manager from a neighbouring School to pop in and double check my setup, just to make sure I'm not missing something obvious.

Pete
    Last edited by FragglePete; 13th September 2010 at 10:18 PM.

Thank Post
    I've found that accessing frog through our external address that is pointed through our ISA server seems to help a little. I suspect this is due to the built in cache held in the ISA server.
    DNS appears OK. nslookup and pings all resolve the correct IP of the frogserver.

We are authenticating against AD - could this possibly be the slow link in the chain?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast