+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Frog - Slow ! Pulling my hair out in Technical; The only issues we have had with Frog were resolved in ways already mentioned i.e. go directly to the internal ...
    Thank Post
    The only issues we have had with Frog were resolved in ways already mentioned i.e. go directly to the internal address of http://frogserver but we aren't using Frog live. Going by these posts I'm glad we aren't!!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Can't really give feed back on today, not many ICT Lessons occurred so load was not as much. I've been dipping in and out of Frog all day today sorting out other issues and it seemed ok with no issues on the scale of what we've seen already, just the occasional "I'm thinking about it for a sec" moments. Just really starting to think the FrogLive component is at fault; it just seems to bog it down so much. Will keep monitoring over the next day or so, but I'm not letting this rest.

Pete

Thank Post
    @FragglePete, @MicrodigitUK tipped me the wink towards this thread, thought I'd just give my two cents.

At the start of year it was a little bit sticky. I'm guessing it was because there were three or four IT rooms full of kids all logging into Frog for the first time with FrogLive, but to be honest that shouldn't really be a problem, as it's (supposedly) designed to cope with that sort of load. It certainly wasn't unusable, but there was a noticeable difference.

To be perfectly honest it has eased up now and seems perfectly acceptable. There's the occasional pause like you mentioned, but nothing too serious. Again as someone else pointed out it works like a dream with Firefox but always seems a little bit sticky when you're working with IE (which, considering I spend most of my time in the toolkit, is a bit of a pain).

FrogLive does seem to be a real issue though. I can't understand why it takes the thing such a long time to log in when you compare it with the web-based login page at http://frogserver/ - I'm hoping they work on the speed issue as far as that is concerned. It will very often take 6/7 seconds to log in from clicking the button. Very odd.

But overall our Frog box seems to be relatively OK, apart from the upgrade that took our box down during the school day and yesterday's kernel panic episode (PM me for details if you like!).

HTH!
    Tom, Sheldon.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Tom, was going to phone you guys but still a tad busy running around here.

ICT Teachers here are reporting back to me that Frog is still running slow, the word 'sticky' that you used is a good description. I will be feeding back to Frog with demands that this gets sorted.

Pete

Thank Post
    Frog.jpg

Why does FrogLive reserve more memory than explorer?

That canít be right and is probably just sloppy Visual Studio coding.

It also wonít help things and will lead to slowing the workstations down.

Thank Post
    MicrodigitUK, good to see you were spending your Saturday night productively!

For about the last twenty minutes Frog has been running like really really slow-running treacle. No major stuff going on here, just a normal amount of users online, but it was taking about two minutes just to get to the login page (no FrogLive)...and now, all of a sudden, it's a speedy as anything. Really odd.

How's things with you this so far this week, Pete?

UPDATE: Just checked FrogLive on my machine here at work, it's using 63MB! What the hell?!
    Last edited by tomdawson; 20th September 2010 at 02:08 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Took a couple of days off, needed a break but back in again tomorrow to deal with all the little things that have cropped up since our Win7 Deployment.

Frog got in touch to say they've tweaked things and should now be quicker (who knows what they've tweaked).

However, our box croaked on Friday. Some bright teacher tried uploading a 800Mb Video File (I kid you not!) to it, this subsequently filled up the temp partition and the thing stopped working. From the e-mails and texts I got from my techs it would seem it was identified quickly and Frog got it up and running again, they are now keen to re-partition the drives to give the temp partition more space. Not sure if this is necessary; it shouldn't have let the upload happen anyway. More training for staff required!

Will look into how FrogLive is sitting on our systems this week and hope things are better.

Pete

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12