+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moodle End of Year/New Year Start in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Moodle End of Year/New Year Start

I know this is alittle late in the season for the term “end of year” but I was wondering what are some of your Moodle “end of year” clean up procedures. We are running into an issue this year where we need to clean up courses and change course names. Our goal I think would be to backup all courses and then restore necessary ones for the new year. We are looking to also import courses from Blackbaud Education Edge. Are any other schools doing this or do any of you have unique clean up procedures? What naming schemas/conventions are you using for courses? Here is what our current setup looks like:

Full Name: Geometry 423-1
    Short Name: Geometry 423-1
    Course ID number: 423-1

Our courses use the first 3 numbers to identify the course and the last number after the – is used for section/class. The issue we are running into this year looks like this:

School year 2009-2010:
    Teacher A teaches Geometry 423-1, Geometry 423-4, Geometry 423- 7
    Teacher B teaches Geometry 423-2, Geometry 423-3, Geometry 423-5, Geometry 423-6

School Year 2010-2011:
    Teacher A teaches Geometry 423-1, Geometry 423-3, Geometry 423-6
    Teacher B teacher Geometry 423-2, Geometry 423-4, Geometry 423-5, Geometry 423-7

Each teacher’s materials haven’t changed and their courses on Moodle are already developed. We are running into the issue of name overlap. This is simple to manage when there is a handful of teachers but we are expanding our system out to 70-80 teachers with 5-6 courses each. You can see how this can become cumbersome. Many of the teachers want their courses backed up from last year and imported into their new classes. Any thoughts on automation, etc.? Very interested to hear how you are handling clean up and new year starts with Moodle. Any automation techniques you are using. We currently are using LDAP authentication, so user creation is automated and has single sign on with AD.

Do you preserve previous years work anywhere?

Forgive me in advance if I sound like a babbling mad man with trying to describe this…

Thank Post
    Hi there. I'm trying to understand but not sure I do: say for example your teacher who last year had course 423-1? Their students will have left now and they want new students for this year in that course, yes? So I would back up the course and save it to disk (not on Moodle necessarily) then reset it to get rid of current user data and then import the new students. If you back all the courses up (so you have got user data saved for this academic year) then reset all the courses then you can import the classes into the existing courses with an appropriately formatted csv file but I am sorry I don't know about LDAP and whether that would conflict) On a separate issue it looks like your teachers have a course per class - I would also personally, , try to encourage the teachers to share courses using groups.

Quote Originally Posted by cabrower View Post
    I know this is alittle late in the season for the term “end of year” but I was wondering what are some of your Moodle “end of year” clean up procedures. We are running into an issue this year where we need to clean up courses and change course names. Our goal I think would be to backup all courses and then restore necessary ones for the new year. We are looking to also import courses from Blackbaud Education Edge. Are any other schools doing this or do any of you have unique clean up procedures? What naming schemas/conventions are you using for courses? Here is what our current setup looks like:

Full Name: Geometry 423-1
    Short Name: Geometry 423-1
    Course ID number: 423-1

Our courses use the first 3 numbers to identify the course and the last number after the – is used for section/class. The issue we are running into this year looks like this:

School year 2009-2010:
    Teacher A teaches Geometry 423-1, Geometry 423-4, Geometry 423- 7
    Teacher B teaches Geometry 423-2, Geometry 423-3, Geometry 423-5, Geometry 423-6

School Year 2010-2011:
    Teacher A teaches Geometry 423-1, Geometry 423-3, Geometry 423-6
    Teacher B teacher Geometry 423-2, Geometry 423-4, Geometry 423-5, Geometry 423-7

Each teacher’s materials haven’t changed and their courses on Moodle are already developed. We are running into the issue of name overlap. This is simple to manage when there is a handful of teachers but we are expanding our system out to 70-80 teachers with 5-6 courses each. You can see how this can become cumbersome. Many of the teachers want their courses backed up from last year and imported into their new classes. Any thoughts on automation, etc.? Very interested to hear how you are handling clean up and new year starts with Moodle. Any automation techniques you are using. We currently are using LDAP authentication, so user creation is automated and has single sign on with AD.

Do you preserve previous years work anywhere?

Forgive me in advance if I sound like a babbling mad man with trying to describe this…

Thank Post
    Hi secretlife, I am looking to backup each course individually to a zip file in one central location.

Then I am looking to delete all courses related to the previous school year (in this case: 2009-2010).

Then I want to export all the courses for the 2010-2011 school year from our student management system (Blackbaud Education Edge).

Then I want to import the courses back into Moodle 2010-2011 school year.

After the courses are created, teachers assigned, etc. I want the ability to restore the courses requested by the teachers.

Each year the course names change but the course content maybe the same. Thats kinda what I was trying to explain above but I think it was alittle convoluted.

The restore process will be manual because i will have to work with the teach to restore the proper old course to the new course.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread