+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moodle 1.9.9 upgrade nightmare in Technical; Hello everyone, I hope someone can help with my current Moodle problem. . . I upgraded from Moodle 1.9.5 to ...

Thank Post

Unhappy Moodle 1.9.9 upgrade nightmare

Hello everyone, I hope someone can help with my current Moodle problem. . .

I upgraded from Moodle 1.9.5 to 1.9.9 using the moodle.org package. This also upgraded my server's PHP, Apache and mySQL, of course. I now find I cannot use my previous 1.9.5 database or moodledata folder.

The best I can manage is a completely new and empty install of Moodle 1.9.9, using the default database and moodledata folder. Any attempts to 'point' Moodle 1.9.9 at the 1.9.5 database and/or moodledata folder result in the dreaded 'Database connection failed. It is possible that the database is overloaded or otherwise not running properly' error.

mySQL can see the 1.9.5 database and run commands on it. Running mysqlcheck shows several tables as corrupt with the error 'Incorrect key file'. Using mysqlcheck's '--auto-repair --optimize' and mysql's 'repair' doesn't change this.

I should probably say I am running this on a Windows Server 2003 machine, which may surprise none of you. Please don't shout at me, I had nothing to do with that decision - I am merely the poor sap who has a broken Moodle just before the start of a new academic year.

Finally, apologies if the solution is elsewhere on here or t'internet in general. Trust me, I have looked, but as time has gone on and my brain has become ever more fried I may have missed it.

Thank Post
    Have you got a backup of the database? If so it's best to restore from that

Personally I would have waited for 2.0 to cone out, that's what I'm doing, think we have 1.9.5 toi

Thank Post
    Deep breath.

Back up the exact situation at this time.

Do you have a back up of the database? If so, restore it and try and upgrade Moodle again, I wonder if something has gone wrong in the upgrade.

Thank Post
    When you extracted the new moodle folder you'll have to change the config.php file to include your old site address, mysql username and mysql password. You'll get that error if you haven't changed it.

Thank Post
    Thanks everyone - this is certainly more help than I'm getting from the moodle.org community at present!

config.php has all the old site info as it should be. There's a new password for the mySQL user but config.php has that as well. I'm going to try sticking Moodle 1.9.5 back on and see if it works with the new mySQL/PHP/Apache setup. Wish me luck (or laugh cynically, whatever floats your boat).

Thank Post
    It'll pan out alright, it's a pretty robust implementation.

I've done a few 1.9.x to 1.9.9 upgrades recently (albeit on linux) and it's gone fine apart from a few teething issues with 'non standard' modules.

Thank Post
    Our upgrade from 1.9.8+ to 1.9.9 went well, no issues (we dont have any non standard modules though) just copied/ replaced the files over the original (did take a backup!) and then let moodle do the rest - it should perform the upgradeand update the tables etc

Thank Post
    I did an upgrade last weekend and found that the database would get upgraded but some post-processes would hang. In the end I think I had to loosen the permissions on the /tmp folder so the upgrade procedure would go all the way through. Not sure where the designated temp folder would be on a Windows installation though.

Thank Post
    Thanks again, everyone - have now returned to Moodle 1.9.5 with its older versions of Apache, PHP and mySQL from a backup. Deep breath, lessons learned and all that.

Thank Post
    Glad you're working again.

Thank Post
    As far as 2.0 goes it's going to be next year minimum before that's a realistic option... we'll be lucky if we see the release version in September and surely no-one is crazy enough to upgrade a live site to a .0 release for the start of their new academic year?!

Then there's the interface changes, training for staff etc, I think 2.1 will be a better bet unless you need the new features desperately (I certainly want the repository functions but it's not enough to make me take the risk at the moment).

Thank Post
    Agree with gshaw, 2.0 isnt going to be a viable option for a while yet and ill also be waiting for 2.1.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread