+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, SIMS to Learning Platform links - permissions in Technical; Hi, Would be interested in any feedback from users with any commercial learning platform that has a link to SIMS. ...

Thank Post

SIMS to Learning Platform links - permissions

Hi,

Would be interested in any feedback from users with any commercial learning platform that has a link to SIMS. I'm not looking for "which is best" as far as an LP is concerned, so will make that clear immeadiately.

What I am interested in, is the auto-links they provide to extract data from SIMS to make it available on the LP server - specifically, how they go about taking staff record data from the Personnel module, simply to provision staff user accounts.

Do they require a SIMS "dummy" user account to be established, and what role permissions do they demand on that SIMS account in order to simply facilitate the staff user accounts (login/password) on the LP?

I'm not going to get into the "why am I asking" cycle - I'm simply interested in the techniques vendors are providing or dictating on the SIMS end user establishments.

And no - I have no affiliation to any vendor, I am an end user myself.

Thanks to anyone that takes the time to reply.
    Last edited by resin1; 29th July 2010 at 02:54 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Well outside of a LP, salamandersoft have tools that will extra data for you, i guess they need at least a SIMS account for the extraction. There is a Third Party Data group that the account can be put in. they will also tap into active directory as will most.

Another company we spoke to, itWorx had their own system, which had it's creation module but i forget what it was called.

A long while back, i remember having to produce reports out of SIMS myself to provide to a third party, this was for county level LP, but of course is manual and so not live.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Any Capita Sims partner will need a Sims account to extract the information. If they don't then they are not going to be using the approved methods (business objects or third party reporting engine) and should be avoided.

The exact permissions depends on what information they need to do what you asked them to do. We are constrained by the same sets of permissions as any Sims user.

Richard

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread