+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, LGFL MLE in Technical; Originally Posted by Fedaykin Fronter is open source based itself I find no mention of this on their website....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: LGFL MLE

Quote Originally Posted by Fedaykin
    Fronter is open source based itself
    I find no mention of this on their website.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedaykin
    Fronter is open source based itself
    I find no mention of this on their website.
    It isn't mentioned but I can assure you it is, they used to make a big thing of it a few years back but I think they feel it might scare off customers these days.

It was first developed with the University of Oslo using open source software.

Thank Post

It all depends on what you mean by open source.

Having a suggestions box is not the same thing as normal open source development.

For one thing you must be able to see the source code.

or do they just mean that they run on Apache or they use GCC to compile sources.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ok ... Fronter and Open Source

What they mean is that the services run on 'open' technologoes ... basically AMP (Apache, MySql, PHP) ... I am pretty sure that they run their boxes on Red Hat too .. but would have to confirm that.

As for their code that strings it all together ... yes, they do allow you to have it as a paid customer ... you are free to develop it and expand your own system but they do not recommend it as the last thing they want to do is break some of your code when they upgrade a standard feature ... but they will work on items you want and if you already have code then they would like it fed back into the community.

so .. it is not 'open source' as people usually mention it .. but it is a fairly open community model ... they don't really use that as a selling point anymore either.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    As for their code that strings it all together ... yes, they do allow you to have it as a paid customer ...
    That's more like Microsoft's Shared Source scheme[/quote].

you are free to develop it and expand your own system
    OK ...a little bit like Microsoft's Scheme

Thank Post

It has been raised how did the LGFL decide on Fronter ?

They ran a tender process that had a spec for more features than that of Becta (if fact I believe becta may have borrowed a few ideas). This was evaluated by 13 LEA ICT inspectors with the lesson learned from digital brain being enacted. ie more training better support tied in.....

Though this mean that "schools" didn't get to have a say it did mean the process was eveulated by people who should at least know about teaching and learning (how much we can argue about but it is their job) which after all is what is important about an MLE.

What fronter should do is take alot of the administration away from streched Tech support. It already link into SIMS and work is in progress with other MIS systems to mean that when a pupil is enrolled they automatically get an account and more importantly when they move school their detail can be dragged from one school to another retaining all their work. It is also intergrated so that timetable information is used so that students submitting "english" homework is seen by their english teacher and not the whole english department. And there is a limited amount of personalisation.

Now I know I sound like an advert but with the BSF contracts resting in the hands of LA's I fully expect the cost saving to mean there is no Choice but to use fronter. Personally I hate this position but the goverment agender seems to be for a uniformity of service and so it is a foregone conclusion.

The key is to get staff using an MLE !!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Face-Man
    It already link into SIMS and work is in progress with other MIS systems to mean that when a pupil is enrolled they automatically get an account and more importantly when they move school their detail can be dragged from one school to another retaining all their work.
    Really? How? Unlike Moodle, Fronter is being pushed almost entirely as a vendor hosted solution. This means that a server outside the firewall would have to contact you SIMS server inside the firewall.

Or have they created some kind of client application to install at school periodially uploadd updates to servers at Fronter HQ?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    Ok ... Fronter and Open Source

What they mean is that the services run on 'open' technologoes ... basically AMP (Apache, MySql, PHP) ... I am pretty sure that they run their boxes on Red Hat too .. but would have to confirm that.

As for their code that strings it all together ... yes, they do allow you to have it as a paid customer ... you are free to develop it and expand your own system but they do not recommend it as the last thing they want to do is break some of your code when they upgrade a standard feature ... but they will work on items you want and if you already have code then they would like it fed back into the community.

so .. it is not 'open source' as people usually mention it .. but it is a fairly open community model ... they don't really use that as a selling point anymore either.
    Yep thats very much it in a nutshell, if you want a feature they will do it but its not recommended. They are very open with their community of users which makes a nice change from most companies.

I'm just a bit fed up with the Moodle fans painting everything that isn't Moodle as bad. Moodle is great if you have the time but in the end most schools haven't.

Since Fronter got the NCSL contract they have been one of the big players in the UK market.

Thank Post

Just came from a Fronter Road show and all I can say is .... WOW... what a cool peice of software.....

You really can't knock it..

Intergrates with CMIS, SIMS, Phoenix and the other one..

Soon Bromcom and Wouton Samuel

And what the LGFL are offering as Support and Development it's onto a real winner..

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by NetworkGeezer
    Quote Originally Posted by Face-Man
    It already link into SIMS and work is in progress with other MIS systems to mean that when a pupil is enrolled they automatically get an account and more importantly when they move school their detail can be dragged from one school to another retaining all their work.
    Really? How? Unlike Moodle, Fronter is being pushed almost entirely as a vendor hosted solution. This means that a server outside the firewall would have to contact you SIMS server inside the firewall.

Or have they created some kind of client application to install at school periodially uploadd updates to servers at Fronter HQ?
    The LGFL are going to host their own Fronter Servers.. within Synetrix's firewall

Thank Post
    Does anyone know how long we have Fronter for as part of the LGfL deal? I want to know if the school are going to get a bill soon or will the LA continue to fund baring in mind the HT fund is no more??

Thank Post
    Fronter has always been an additional charge to the cost of other Broadband services provided by LGFL. You may be luck and have the cost met by your LA but that will most likely not be going on from April. The prices can be found here Prices_and_Terms

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12