+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Can't find relevant online help for Moodle. in Technical; Our ISP/County/RBC (whatever they call themselves) host Moodle sites for all schools in Lancs if they want them - very ...

Thank Post

Can't find relevant online help for Moodle.

Our ISP/County/RBC (whatever they call themselves) host Moodle sites for all schools in Lancs if they want them - very handy for primaries that want to dabble.

Well, one of mine is dabbling and me and ICT co-ord went on the courses on how to use it e.g setting up courses and uploading hot potatoe quizzes etc

But I haven't been on the admin course yet and I'm struggling to find relevant online help.

Googling is giving me a lot of clutter.

e.g - our site doesn't have a guest login button - moodle site docs say its configureable but b&*&^*d if I can find out where.

And that's just one example.

Has anyone got a decent source of practical info.

(Trying to set up a demo for our cluster ICT Co-ords by Tuesday!)

regards

Simon

Thank Post

Re: Can't find relevant online help for Moodle.

Try docs.moodle.org for starters. The using moodle course on moodle.org is probably the best place to go for help on specifics.
    Jason Cole's book "Using Moodle: Teaching with the Popular Open Source Course Management System" is worth the money, although you might be able to find a pdf version if you ask around - it's written for teachers rather than admins though.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi
    Googling is giving me a lot of clutter.

e.g - our site doesn't have a guest login button - moodle site docs say its configureable but b&*&^*d if I can find out where.

And that's just one example.

Has anyone got a decent source of practical info.

Simon
    Miles is right about the DOCS area on Moodle.org but if you are stuck with specific problems give Carr Hill a ring (Preston 682008). I'm not in on Monday (CLEO Moodle meeting) but Geoff, Richard or Young Dave in ICT should be able to answer your questions.

Thank Post

@miles -ta for info but docs.moodle.org is my problem

Moodle has a built-in "Guest account". People can log in as guests using the "Login as a guest" button on the login screen. (This button can be enabled or disabled by the administrator.)
    Is all I can find - it could be there but I can't find it (and this is just one example)

If the book is written for teachers - then I can imagine it won't have the stuff for site administrators - which is what I'm after really.

@mighty.grey.eagle

Thanks for offer - but where do you get your info from (if you see my point)
    but....
    YOU ARE GOING TO A LANCS MOODLE MEETING!!!! - any chance of gently persuading them (with appropriate electrical pole if needed) to get the support/setting up act together!!!!!!!!!

What I mean is - there is no web site (or even a moodle :P ) to access info on schools requesting a moodle - no mention of how to get support - nothing about anything really. its the age of old problem of someone providing something for free - you can't complain about it (but we really need to!!!) - please pass this on to them.

e.g
    http://vle.broadoak.lancs.sch.uk [EDIT url ops: ]
    should have clock on front page - its gone and theres code all over site -rang Dr Rob - he told me some info about modules might have being removed (didn't understand him cause I'm thick ) and told me to email xxxx@yyy.xx - shouldn't have to do this - should be able to report via the DarkSide (can't believe I said that) and have it sorted

regards

Simon

Thank Post

If you have access to it, the guest log-in button is normally enabled/disabled at Moodle » Administration » Users » Authentication options in the common setting section, or at least it was in the version of Moodle to which I have admin access...

The Using Moodle course on moodle.org (http://moodle.org/course/view.php?id=5) is a very friendly and supportive place - you'd be very welcome to join, and would then have direct access to a worldwide network of Moodle users, admins and developers. The enrolment fee is 10% of the annual licence costs ;-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

On that page you linked to simon the Guest account is reachable from the login button on the front page (+it does work ! )

I agree - I also find it difficult to navigate the moodle site - after years of using it as admin I still have to try to remember where stuff is.

Just ask on here if you need help - we'll point you to the answer!

Thank Post

"should have clock on front page"
    there's a problem displaying the clock when viewed in Firefox. It works in IE6 + 7. There's supposed to be a work round, but I haven't succeeded with it yet. I'm about to instal Moodle 1.7 on my laptop, so I'll report back here later re the Guest account/login.

Thank Post

Right then, Guest access. I only did this a couple of weeks ago on my machine at work and it's taken me a while to find out how to do it again.
    For Guest access to individual courses, select the course, Turn Editing On and hit the Edit symbol, scroll down to the Guest Access dropdown and select "Allow Guests without the key" option. Guests will now be able to view the course material, but not alter it or do anything else to affect it (unless somebody posts on this forum to the contrary)
    There's also a a setting, and I can't find it at the moment (you've got to be a bit of an evengelist to keep doing this) which changes the front page from the Welcome page to a purely login page, which also has the Login as Guest option. Hope this helps

Thank Post

Things are getting complex here so I';ll answer one reply at a time and clarify situation.

The site I can't get a Guest access button is
    http://vle.hoole.lancs.sch.uk

which is the one where me and schools ICT Co-ord are showing our "skills" off to other ICT Co-ords on Tuesday pm

The other moodle http://vle.broadoak.lancs.sch.uk is one of my other schools that have had one for a while (they were part of the Lancs primary school trial) and I was just mentioning that to mighty.grey.eagle since maybe he's off to meet the big boys and girls

regards

Simon

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi
    Things are getting complex here so I';ll answer one reply at a time and clarify situation.

The site I can't get a Guest access button is
    http://vle.hoole.lancs.sch.uk

which is the one where me and schools ICT Co-ord are showing our "skills" off to other ICT Co-ords on Tuesday pm
    When you click on LOGIN (without entering a username and password) you get to the screen where you can log in as a guest. The guest account only applies if you have set this up in the administration section. Not sure which version of Moodle is live on your site so I can't point you in the right direction to get to this.

There is support from CLEO by courses but Rob Musker (based at the ICT centre) may be the one to contact for a quick answer. Not tomorrow though - he is probably going to be at the same meeting!

Thank Post

To try to answer some of your other questions.

"where do you get you info from" - by playing or Moodle.org. The book that Miles suggests is good but you have to be patient. Non-techie staff seem to find it OK.

"get the support/setting up act together". Compared to some of the commercial companies (and I won't mention names) Moodle support (in it's many forms) is fantastic. I am trying to help on a Sunday afternoon because I believe in it! I suspect that somewhere along the way some information has been lost. The two demonstration CLEO Moodle sites are

http://primary.test.cleo.net.uk/

and

http://secondary.test.cleo.net.uk/

The various schools you support have probably been given logins.

"should have clock on front page". Seems a strange way of doing this. You should be able to add this as a bit of Flash in an HTML block. Alternatively phone "Young Dave" as mentioned in a previous post if you want the clock in the header. See http://vle.carrhill.lancs.sch.uk/

"I was just mentioning that to mighty.grey.eagle since maybe he's off to meet the big boys and girls"

If there are any big girls there I will report back

Thank Post

@miles
    Thanks - I now have guest button on second page if I click on Login without a user name

Half way there

I've registered as you suggested but it wouldn't accept my credit card

Within forum - same problem as before - search just reveals clutter (by which I mean can't see wood for trees - and I'm not a virgin searcher ). In fact there seems to be a lot of discussions on what guest login should do/allow users - maybe my initial premise is wrong i.e. guests (e.g visiting ICT Co-ords on Tuesday) maybe can't simply click on a front page button to login

regards

Simon

Thank Post

This thread is suffering from answering the question before last

Been off to a nearby teachers house to fix her printer/anitvirus/anti spyware for past few hours

@mark
    Yes Broadoak had the login on second page - Hoole didn't but now does thanks to miles's suggestion

Re getting help - I thought I just couldn't find the documentation I needed - its become apparent it doesn't actually exist in an easy to find form

Ta

regards
    Simon

Thank Post

@beeswax re clock

The page is a mess at my end in either IE6 or Firefox so I don't think its that one (unless its OK at your end?) I think its a site problem that needs resolving by our RBC moodle elves (whoever and wherever that are )

Re Installing Moodle on your laptop

Your going too far 8O 8O 8O - I only used the guest login as an example of a question that I had so that maybe people who know could point me to it to read - I didn't intend for anyone to spend Sunday on it ops: ops: ops:

In my defence - I did say it was an example

Sometimes the written word fails us

regards

Simon

Thank Post

@beeswax re 2nd post
    you've got to be a bit of an evengelist to keep doing this
    I think that sums up the situation admirably

Looking back - thats whats happened - I got converted - I was a believer - but now when I ask the wizard a few simple questions - things seem a bit different to what I was told

regards

Simon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast