+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Can't find relevant online help for Moodle. in Technical; @SimpleSi - I was going to install it on my laptop anyway. I'm doing a trial, having the school website ...

Thank Post

Re: Can't find relevant online help for Moodle.

@SimpleSi - I was going to install it on my laptop anyway. I'm doing a trial, having the school website on the C: drive and the Moodle on the D: drive, and working between the two before installing it on a server, so don't feel guilty.

*EDIT* no, the clock doesn't show in IE either, so it mustn't be there.

Thank Post

Sorry for latest delay - 2nd callout today to a friends house - it was bought on 1st Jan - no antiv/antispy put on (they have teenage kids!) and today they ring and say could I come and look at it as its playing up. Why o why do people not ring you 1st and tell you what they are going to do :cry:
    (Had lop variety - messenger plus - limewire!!!!!) - Defender killed the spyware (and also their broadband connection) but luckily I fixed winsock etc and got it back. And they got sold a Lexmark as well (and they already had a Photo Epson!!!!!!

Anyway - back to business

@MGE

When you click on LOGIN (without entering a username and password) you get to the screen where you can log in as a guest.
    I think I assumed from what I'd read that I could have this button on front welcome page but it seems not (at least with this or 1.7 version ???)

There is support from CLEO by courses but Rob Musker (based at the ICT centre) may be the one to contact for a quick answer. Not tomorrow though - he is probably going to be at the same meeting!
    Dr Rob in my post == Rob Musker in yours

"where do you get you info from" - by playing or Moodle.org. The book that Miles suggests is good but you have to be patient. Non-techie staff seem to find it OK.
    Being an impatient techie isn't going to help then

"get the support/setting up act together". Compared to some of the commercial companies (and I won't mention names) Moodle support (in it's many forms) is fantastic.
    Well - the support seems good - witness Beeswax 5* efforts and all the help from everyone here and the nice chap who flew in to help out at BETT

BUT...

I think I've proved the case that simple site administration documentation is not fantastic

But hey - I had to learn Pascal in the dark ages when the only book available was the author's own musings - so things will undoudtably get better - it just came as a bit of shock this weekend to find its in its infancy and will reduce my rating as an IT Wizard down a few notches with my Co-ords ops:

I am trying to help on a Sunday afternoon because I believe in it!
    And I really appreciate it

"should have clock on front page". Seems a strange way of doing this. You should be able to add this as a bit of Flash in an HTML block.
    You see - you clever ones soon slip into the why don't you just .... (as if us simple ones can even pronounce what you are telling us

We just want the standard moodle clock thing that was working for the last 6 months to keep on working and when it doesn't I want to be able to use the standard reporting procedure (who name I cannot bring myself to mention on advice from my psychiartrist) to get it fixed. (Why pay for the RAC and change the spark plugs yourself)

If there are any big girls there I will report back Very Happy

regards

Simon

Thank Post

@all

Thanks for all the help - the demo went very well and I think the other schools will be giving Moodle a go.

CLEO (our RBC) are running some admin courses shortly and I hope to get on one and get myself learnt proper

regards

Simon

Thank Post

Your school(s) should all be getting a logon to

http://vle.cleo.net.uk/

in the next few days. Then you can play or examine what others have done. Within that site there will be a Moodle User Group (MUG) with forums for posting questions and, hopefully, some answers.

Thank Post

@mighty.grey.eagle
    Ta for info

regards
    Simon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12