+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, The 10 Becta Approved Suppliers in Technical; ooch, this could turn nasty.... Chris...
    Thank Post

Re: The 10 Becta Approved Suppliers

ooch, this could turn nasty....

Chris

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Our LEA has decided on Moodle, it's be nice to have a comparison of companies offering support for that. (As we can't count on our local FE college doing it forever)

Thank Post

Out of interest how many people use moodle. I'm VERY interested in deploying it, but as it's not on the becta recommended list am begining to have second thoughts. Does it do everything all the others do? We currently have thanks to the LA, and pay through the nose for - but nobody uses as it's sh1t: Plus (by Netmedia i believe). Moodle would be a very nice cost saving.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,507 Posts

Moodle is capable of doing anything you wish with it as it's open source and if it doesnt' do sometihng you want you can either write it yourself, pay someone to write it for you or ask the community.

Ben

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_K_81
    Out of interest how many people use moodle. I'm VERY interested in deploying it, but as it's not on the becta recommended list am begining to have second thoughts. Does it do everything all the others do? We currently have thanks to the LA, and pay through the nose for - but nobody uses as it's sh1t: Plus (by Netmedia i believe). Moodle would be a very nice cost saving.
    Here is a list you may find interesting - http://moodle.org/sites/

More stats here - http://moodle.org/stats/

Hope that helps!

-- Art

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

from that first link I count 1100 schools/colleges/unversities in the UK - and that doesn't count sites like ours who didn't bother registering !
    That's an awful lot of bug-testers.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    from that first link I count 1100 schools/colleges/unversities in the UK - and that doesn't count sites like ours who didn't bother registering !
    That's an awful lot of bug-testers.
    As far as I am concerned, moodle would be the only sensible choice.

It is in use worldwide, so skills are transferable.

It is getting bigger all the time, it won't be going away any time soon, if moodle inc. went bankrupt it's still available.

It's free software(libre), with an excellent amount of support available.

The people developing it are passionate about the concept, rather just being a money making scheme.

There is an excellent moodlemoot every year in the UK, and some of the things people are doing is astounding.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_K_81
    I'm VERY interested in deploying it, but as it's not on the becta recommended list am begining to have second thoughts. Does it do everything all the others do?
    Word has it that Atomwide's Moodle/Elgg solution passed all of Becta's "exhaustive" technical tests, but their bid for the framework agreements was excluded for other, non-technical reasons.

Thank Post

I'm still quite baffled how BECTA have not included a Microsoft Learning Gateway platform into the list. In particular as RM are currently switching their VTLE to a MLG version. The MLG as far as I am aware failed the Becta test because they judged it on the 2003 version and with 2007 only just around the corner, a little short sighted in my opinion but understandable in the circumstances of having to make a decision based on the existing products. The stark irony of it all though is that the DFES exemplar VLEs all happen to be Microsoft Learning Gateways!! I may be sticking with this type of product for our VLE, mind you it could be taken away come the PFI build completion and the Managed Service takeover!!!!!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Blog Entries

Microsoft Learning Gateway is not on the list becasue no company put it forward as a complete solution, they rebuilt sections of it and have put it forward as their own product *based* on MSLG.

Microsoft are happy to do it this way ... they have several partners that they work with to do this and it means they are no longer tied in to deliver only thier solution ... it is part of the framework and people can use it to add things to, like Moodle, CMIS or SIMS web parts ...

It works out as a better business model for them I suppose.

Thank Post

If a product is not on the list does that mean we cannot use the 121 Standards funding to purchase from a non Becta approved supplier ? When I googled for more information I came across the following page http://www.alphalearning.co.uk/ojeu/TW_lette.pdf. I think if my LA were to read this it may cause a tremor as they are going down the only Becta approved route. Wonder what the EC will say.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

I think the Becta approved list is generally for BSF (contractually).
    Looks like our LEA is also going down the non-becta approved list also, and schools are generally choosing what suits them best (unlike BSF...)

Thank Post

From a recent meeting with the LA, a school can choose and learning platform they like - as long as they purchase in the appropriate way.

LA's have been advised to lead on the purchase of learing platforms to realise the collaberative benifits of the systems.

To get a prefered supplier the LA has 2 options - a mini tender of the approved BECTA suppliers, or a full eu invitation to tender of anyone interested in supplying (due to size of purchase).

Most are opting for a mini tender - sending a statement of requirements, shortlisting 2 or 3 for a more detailed look, then a recomendation.

Our LA, and many others, are holding onto the grant earmarked for the learning platforms. If you purchase their recommended solution you'll get the money if you go elsewhere you get nothing.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by steve
    Our LA, and many others, are holding onto the grant earmarked for the learning platforms. If you purchase their recommended solution you'll get the money if you go elsewhere you get nothing.
    Same here, slightly unfair but obvioussly they want more schools to go their route so it becomes cheaper for everybody, most Senior Management and Head teachers will feel pressured into going down the LEA route also especially with it being funded or partly funded - we were still expected to pay something like £2.50 per pupil per year to go with the LEA In house developed VLE.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hmm. Interesting. Somerset is making use of 'Learnwise' by Granada Learning - which is based on MSLG. I didn't realised it wasn't on 'the list'. I have to say though, that my experience of it so far is that it is long winded and staff will not find it that useful.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast