+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moodle - Permissions are not working in Technical; I have moodle setup and working, but when I edit the user permissions and roles, it seems to have no ...

Thank Post

Moodle - Permissions are not working

I have moodle setup and working, but when I edit the user permissions and roles, it seems to have no effect at all. Cource creators cannot create courses, or even edit existing courses.

Also the role changes made to permissions access to a block (the MRBS in this case) have no effect, an administrator can still do everything, but the lower down roles are having no effect, neither locally or systemwide.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Ok -well - can you give a few more details about which "permissions" you have been altering?
    For example course creators should be assigned to a category and they can only create courses within that category - have you done anything over and above that?
    The MRBS block does involve some editing of permissions -iirc -giving a front page role to the people you want to use it - haven't played with if for a couple of years but the instructions for that should be with its download at moodle.org

Thank Post
    The only permissions on a role I have edited are that of a student, but the issues I have affect all users tht are not admins.

If I make a user a systemwide course creator, they should be able to create courses anywhere, however they cannot create courses at all. I did this as a test because my locally assigned user roles of course creator were not allowing the users to create a course.

It appears to me that when a user logs in, moodle i failing to give them the permissions and they get the default authenticated users permissions.

Thank Post
    I don't have experience with LDAP - are you sending them to Moodle with course creator role in LDAP? If not, then they will all have the authenticated user role in Moodle until you assign them a role in a course/category or (rare occasions) site wide. Which permissions of a student did you edit?Is this a local install or is it online? If online, I 'm happy to take a look for you.

Thank Post
    The permissions aren't working properly both site wide or locally assigned, I'm beginning to believe the install has gone faulty s the issue effects everyone except those with the administrator role, again both locally assigned and site wide. The install is online though, so if your available to have a quick look and would be able to if youc ould PM me that would be great.

Thank Post
    I've solved the problem, there was a permission within the authenticated user role set as "Prohibit" when it should have been "Prevent", one simple misclick had casued all the faults I was encountering.

Thank Post
    Cool. Saw Howard had volunteered to help over on moodle.org too. Glad you got it sorted Always worth trying to avoid "prohibit" where at all possible

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread