+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Fronter - Owner/Delete in Technical; In Fronter, can anyone tell me the difference between Owner and Delete (Owner) of a room membership?...

Thank Post

Smile Fronter - Owner/Delete

In Fronter, can anyone tell me the difference between Owner and Delete (Owner) of a room membership?
    Last edited by bikeman17; 22nd April 2010 at 11:12 AM. Reason: to comeplete the quesiton

Thank Post
    Delete access is the transition between Write and Owner.

A user with Write access can upload files, create forums and forum posts, conduct tests etc within a room but they cannot delete any of this.

A user with Delete access has just that - the ability to remove content from a room, but cannot edit a room's properties or structure.

A room Owner has full access in a room, can edit its tool package, properties, name etc.

Delete access can be useful if you need someone to ensure that content is up to date, i.e someone to weed out irrelevant documents and forums but prevent them from altering the room.

Edit - Delete access also has the ability to edit the Frontpage of a room. As said above, a good access level to give someone who can maintain a room without potentially destroying it.
    Last edited by Mako; 22nd April 2010 at 11:41 AM.

Thank Post
    from the Fronter Help system :

Owner: The administrator of the room, often the room creator. Owner has all rights and can, in addition to what is mentioned below, mange the list of participants, award access rights to the participants and choose/ change the tools of the room.

Delete: Typical right for the course tutor, teacher, guidance tutor or participants with greater responsibility than the normal participant. In addition to the below mentioned, user with this access right will be able to delete contributions, documents etc entered by other participants

It is not unusual that all the participants in a group room with a limited number of participants, have delete rights in order to achieve more open partnership.

Write: Most used right for normal user or course participant. The user has, in addition to reading everything that is published in the room, opportunity to participate in discussions, add documents and links and be an active user of the tools in the room. It is important to note that with this right the participant is only able to delete own contributions.

Note: Writing rights really means that the user has access to writing onto the database, which gives access to uploading files, joining in discussions, adding links etc.

Read only: The lowest access right, often awarded to guests that are only visiting the room without contributing. This user only has access to reading what is published in the room.

Thank Post
    Thanks to all who have replied, I feel much more confident.

Anyone experiencing Fronter running abit slow today?

Thank Post
    running Ok for me. Speeds not too bad at all.

Thank Post
    Its getting better over here, But i have just noticed for the majority of the rooms the members page is taking looong to load.

How strange!?

Thank Post
    I would suggest adding in the frontersupport.com rss feed to a reader on a local machine. I have it and it tells you of any outages that they are currently experiencing.

There was a latency problem earlier today, it should be sorted now though.

We have all students as read only and the teacher responsible for the room as owner. The write access option is just asking to be abused by students!!

Thank Post
    Would the read access allow students to submit h/w into the handin folder. Majority of our teachers tend to use the test tool/forum/vote so its ideal to give them write access.

Any new features in the horizons?

Thank Post
    Yeah you just adjust the hand in folder to write access when its created. We don't use them anyhow as the way our students have been entered means me adding 500+ groups to each room just so the hand in folders don't contain every student in the school!!!!

Thank Post
    As Jamo said, you can... providing you customise the access every time.
    Last edited by Mako; 22nd April 2010 at 12:14 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread