+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, LDAP plugin; Local links and no theme displaying on other computers in Technical; Hello, Hope someone can help me here. Completely new to Moodle and have very little experience with web setups. I ...

Thank Post

LDAP plugin; Local links and no theme displaying on other computers

Hello,

Hope someone can help me here. Completely new to Moodle and have very little experience with web setups.

I have Moodle installed on Windows 2003 Server, with Apache, PHP5 and MySQL.

I have three problems.

Problem One: When trying to setup LDAP authentication, it says I need to enable the LDAP part in the config file, so I make that change, however it still tells me I need to make the changeafter I have done it and restarted the server several times.

Problem two: When connecting to moodle/moodle (or IPaddress/moodle) from a client machine, it does not display any theme at all, and the content is just over to the left of the page.

Problem three: When going to Moodle homepage from a client machine, it at least connects to the server, however when clicking login, it attempts to take me to the local page of 127.0.0.1, rather than the Moodle server IP address.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Kind regards
    Michelle

Thank Post
    Hi - i'm far from being an expert on this - but the config file problem sounds very familiar. I remember trying to change it and finding that there are several config files and it's not always obvious which one moodle is using. Click PHP info in the main admin menu of your moodle site to check the path of the config file being used.

Thank Post
    Two of your problems are very closely related.

I imagine you are using "localhost" within your moodle config files. The reason I say this is because the client computers are looking for their own local host IP addresses (the same for everyone) and not the server IP address as you said.

I would ignore the first problem for now cos this again could be related to the config file simply not being found and fix the other two. On your server in the moodle documents area, you'll have a file called config.php, check that file for the following part:

$CFG->wwwroot = '';

If within the '' you have the word localhost then thats the issue, the server IP address can be used here, once this is fixed the theme should fix itself to, as that is related to the client either unable to find/ open the theme files on the server. I also wonder if this is where the LDAP problem is coming from to, the in ability to locate the config file.

Thank Post

Oh no.....

Ok, I have made sure that i have absolutely nothing related to localhost in any of the .ini files. I have made sure that I have uncommented the php_ldap line BUT it is still not working!

Any more ideas guys?

Thank Post
    Michelle,

You may need to edit your config.php file as AChandler stated. If you can post a copy of your config.php file (usually found at the root of the moodle directory) i'm sure we can take a look to see if it is there where you are going wrong.

the main thing to remember when setting up moodle is once that wherever during setup it asks you for the site URL not to put in localhost, or even the name of your server (unless it is just an internal hosting) - i may have somewhere some documentation that i created when i built our server if i can find it i will send it to you

regards

Mark

Thank Post
    Thanks Mark, here is my config.php

<?php /// Moodle Configuration File

unset($CFG);

$CFG->dbtype = 'mysql';
    $CFG->dbhost = '127.0.0.1';
    $CFG->dbname = 'moodle';
    $CFG->dbuser = 'root';
    $CFG->dbpass = '';
    $CFG->dbpersist = false;
    $CFG->prefix = 'mdl_';

$CFG->wwwroot = 'http://172.31.1.20/moodle';

$CFG->dirroot = 'M:\Moodle\www\moodle';
    $CFG->dataroot = 'M:\moodledata';
    $CFG->admin = 'admin';

$CFG->directorypermissions = 02777; // try 02777 on a server in Safe Mode

$CFG->unicodedb = true; // Database is utf8

require_once("$CFG->dirroot/lib/setup.php");
    // MAKE SURE WHEN YOU EDIT THIS FILE THAT THERE ARE NO SPACES, BLANK LINES,
    // RETURNS, OR ANYTHING ELSE AFTER THE TWO CHARACTERS ON THE NEXT LINE.
    ?>

Thank Post
    Aslong as the users have and the web serivce have the right permissions level to open the files then there shouldnt be an issue. Is M: a shared drive or a local hard drive?

With regards to useing the server name in the wwwroot, as Mark says this is only useful for internal use and testing which i assume is the stage your currently at but you will need to change it to http://moodle.myschool.org.uk for example, when you publish it. Although you could do this now using DNS in your windows domain which would make the installation easier to publish later externally.
    Last edited by Achandler; 30th April 2010 at 11:41 AM.

Thank Post
    M is a local drive on the moodle server

Thank Post

Post A Little Help

Michelle,

I have attached the guide I created when I setup our moodle site. please note we are using MS SQL not mysql and I have removed all the passwords from the file

I would suggest that you take a backup of your current server just in case - or use a test server to try this but hopefully there should be some pointers in there for you.

NOTE: The pages describe how to set up the site for internal use only. They also include how we have setup LDAP Access

Give it a go and see what happens, and if you have any more trouble PM me and I'll see what I can do

Regards,

Mark
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    Michelle,

Did you have any luck with this??

Mark

11. Thanks to sister_annex from:

Michelle (1st June 2010)

Thank Post
    Sure did. I removed the Mowes installation and used another XAMPP package, It works a treat (well, almost!) right now.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread