+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, moodle sims.net in Technical; HI there I am in the process of setting up moodle. I want to import all the users from sims.net ...

Thank Post

moodle sims.net

HI there I am in the process of setting up moodle. I want to import all the users from sims.net and courses. I also want to provide Windows Share Web Client home drives etc etc. Has anybody done this? Also could I just ask which linux platform to run this on?

Thanks
    Last edited by itgeek; 16th March 2010 at 11:52 AM.

Thank Post
    Do you have an active directory? if so you'll want to importing the users from that as it can then be used for authentication.

If you want to use a linux platform then you'll want to look at samba for web as a means of sharing the folders.

As for which linux distro it will run on which support mysql, apache and php - which is pretty much all of them. Personally I'd stick with ubuntu and delay things until the end of April to make sure you have the next LTS - but I'm sure others will have different ideas on this

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think itgeek wants to use SIMS so the classes can be used easily as well. I haven't as yet but I'm looking at a company to do it for me. PM me for details.

Wes

Thank Post
    Pretty sure SalamanderSoft does what you want to do. SalamanderSoft Limited

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by itgeek View Post
    HI there I am in the process of setting up moodle. I want to import all the users from sims.net and courses. I also want to provide Windows Share Web Client home drives etc etc. Has anybody done this? Also could I just ask which linux platform to run this on?
    Thanks
    Windows Share Client can run on any linux distro but i have used it on Centos and Unbuntu. The lastest version is very good but with a slight tweak to allow network shares on all courses is even better.

There are a few ways to integrate SIMS.net, as matt40k said by using salamandersoft, they also underpin webanywheres offering. There is also another product that uses SIF to allow integration and parental engagement between SIMS.net and Moodle.

Using SIF allows extended integration with other systems, it might be worth looking into AFAIK northampton LA are looking into SIF.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold_99 View Post
    Using SIF allows extended integration with other systems, it might be worth looking into AFAIK northampton LA are looking into SIF.
    EMBC are piloting SIF with a few schools (including at least one Northants school, hopefully 3) to do the school to Regional IdP section ... the next bit to do after that is the IdP to the SP.

Getting there ... slowly but surely.

However, since that is not what teh OP is looking at, has anyone had a recent look at the CLEO tools? I've not check for a god 12 months and I was wondering if that has gotten any further?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    EMBC are piloting SIF with a few schools (including at least one Northants school, hopefully 3) to do the school to Regional IdP section ... the next bit to do after that is the IdP to the SP.
    I couldn't remember the link between SIF and Northants, but as you mentioned EMBC, there it is.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    However, since that is not what teh OP is looking at, has anyone had a recent look at the CLEO tools? I've not check for a god 12 months and I was wondering if that has gotten any further?
    I have heard there have been issues with MIDAS and several possible incarnations have been rejected so far. There is still hope for it being ready for september but not 100%.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread