+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Best Learning Platform for SEN? in Technical; My school is a secondary SEN school. Up until now we have been trying to use LP+ without much success. ...
    Thank Post

Question Best Learning Platform for SEN?

My school is a secondary SEN school. Up until now we have been trying to use LP+ without much success. I've just found out that from September the LEA will no longer be funding it, so have been asked start looking for alternatives. What are other SEN schools using?

The main issue we have is that of our 50 pupils only 5 or 6 are really at a level to be able to use a VLE, so any learning platform we chose would either to have a super simplistic UI, or be VERY cheap to run. LP+ would cost us around 1000 pa, or effectively 200 per pupil! In class we currently use Espresso Primary and lots of switch based programs. Is there anything like that out there?

Thanks

Neil
    Last edited by themanfromict; 16th March 2010 at 10:07 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Education City is a good resource and seems to attract the attention of the kids here!

Thank Post
    I'm a developer for a VLE provider that includes SEN tools inside it. Tools such as symbol support (using Widget Point), large text, high contrast, multi-lingual support etc.
    It's free to schools with less than 100 users so it might fit your requirements. Obviously, it's not my place to say "it's the best" nor "the worse" but as far as answering your question/need I can advise My Learning UK Ltd as a VLE that includes Special Education Need tools. It also allows the integration of Expresso applications.

It would be only fair to mention other providers (of who'm I'm aware SEN Tools are present). These would be Learnspace, Uinservity, WebCT, Blackboard and I do believe Moodle has support too?
    I don't know the full array of tools these particular products included but it might be useful for your research.

Hope that helps in some way.
    Last edited by mylearningltd; 15th February 2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: I spelt "contrast" wrong!

Thank Post

LearnSpace

Hi,

The only VLE built from the ground up is the LearnSpace from Old Media. It's not launched yet but I saw a very impressive pre-release at last year's BETT Show. I know that it is due to be launched at BETT 2010 (January). Anyone else hear anything about it?

Thanks,

Tom

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread