+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, MFL resources - scorm question in Technical; Hello, Could anyone actually using any interactive mfl resources within a learning platform tell me what the resource looks like ...
    Thank Post

MFL resources - scorm question

Hello,

Could anyone actually using any interactive mfl resources within a learning platform tell me what the resource looks like once it's been submitted by the kiddies?

Basically I've been asked about the resources for mfl; the department is quite sceptical about using the learning platform but they like the self-marking idea. What the teacher really wants though is to see their answers rather than a score sheet. obviously he wants to see where they've gone wrong and perhaps revisit these areas if patterns appear.

I've done 2 tests so far. First one I created a sample quiz with Fuse creator, uploaded the zipped package to the learning platform, assigned it to a test student and submitted it as a student. When I looked at it as a teacher, all I could see was the score(4/10) not their actual answers.

Next I took some already created content the department was using(flash based) and zipped it using the Reload package. Uploaded it, tested it and this time I got no score back at all.

I guess the question is, what do you see on your system, is it down to our learning platform or am I missing something?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Which VLE are you using?

Wes

Thank Post
    Kaleidos

Didn't want to say initially, there seem to be a few people around here prejudiced against Kaleidos.

All I want is an idea of how the resources should work rather than hear the usual Kaleidos's crap blah, blah..

Thank Post
    Anyone?

Thank Post
    Hi znova,

Iím a Product Manager for Kaleidos at RM. The ability to write back from a content pack to a VLE markbook is handled through the SCORM standard. There are two requirements for this to work, the first is that the pack sends back the marks and second is that the VLE/Learning Platform is capable of receiving/displaying them. In the case of Fuse, it passes back the students total score (e.g. 4/10), but no further data about how the questions were answered. It is likely that the pack you created isnít passing back this information (Iím not familiar with the capabilities of Reload) so Kaleidos will have nothing to display.

We updated the Kaleidos markbook last year, to display the students total score (e.g. 4/10), but at the time we couldnít find any examples of SCORM content packs passing back answers for individual questions. I agree that it would be useful to give more detail than the total score, and we want to support more detail in the future. However, we need to do this in collaboration with content providers (we have had initial discussions with some of them about implementing this), as without the content we would be developing a worthless feature.

In the meantime, have you considered using the test creation tool within the Kaleidos? While in some ways it is more basic than Fuse, it does allow you to see all the information returned by the students, and contains automatic marking functionality.

Kind regards,

Andrew Iles
    Product Manager
    Learning Platforms Business Group
    RM

Thank Post
    Hello,

thanks for that! Actually the activity I mentioned was a simple flash based matching activity. Reload SHOULD in theory take the files within the activity, wrap them up(ie add imsmanifest file etc.) so they could be uploaded as a scorm package.

It uploads no problem and it plays no problem but the score reporting doesn't happen.

What I am playing with currently is interactive resources the teachers already have; some of these are unfortunately no longer available(usually free resources created by other teachers and shared) and trying the reporting feature. Unfortunately without much success at the moment!

At least I now know what to expect in terms of Fuse reporting back - although it is a shame that in Fuse the child gets a nice report page at the end of an activity whereas we just get a score.

And yes, we could use the inbuilt test but that's not what I'm after; the whole point of my testing is to see how/if we can adapt things we already have and have them communicate the score back. I can already see I can get them onto the platfrom, so the score is the last step for them to be really useful.

Thank Post
    ZNova

Have a look at this Activihub.com Its an online content creation both scorm and flash. Richard who developed it is also a linguist. He also used reload to create scorm content and realised this would be challenging for most teachers.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread