+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moodle and Becta in Technical; Does anyone know if Moodle complies completely with Becta's Learning platform technical specifications and Learning platform functional requirements that were ...
    Thank Post

Moodle and Becta

Does anyone know if Moodle complies completely with Becta's Learning platform technical specifications and Learning platform functional requirements that were published in May and June of this year?

Also, what, if any, are the know security risks with Moodle? Do you have to know .php inside out to fix them?

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Re: Moodle and Becta

Does anyone know if Moodle complies completely with Becta's Learning platform technical specifications and Learning platform functional requirements that were published in May and June of this year?
    AFIK there are no platforms that comply fully with Bectas specification. Also moodle isn't an entire earning platform, its a VLE. In any case moodle wouldn't be able to be listed as a supplier because it isn't a profit making company with a turnover of £xm.
    Moodle is a suitable VLE fior schools though, recent MIS integration etc. IMHO at this time Becta are sending mixed messages - you don't need to comply yet as it is only BSF schools that are contractually obligated to comply with their specifications, other Schools tend to use or ignore becta specs at their will. Personally I think most of what becta's specs say make sence, OTOH Moodle is the most comprehensive, widely used VLE and has more features that are expected added all the time.

As for security, Moodle is an application and as such gets regular bug fixes. You will need to know how to secure your server and database, how to install moodle fixes and how to use moodle. It doesn't require any php hackery.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,507 Posts

I thought BECTA couldn't recommend specific products, suppliers anyway? so that would mean that they can't say you can't use moodle.

I know our LEA seems to be afraid of anything opensource they'd rather we pay them bucketfulls of money to use their products and receive their support.

Sorry ain't gonna happen.

Ben

Thank Post

I was told the following by someone at the North West Education Technology Show last week,
    "It's unlikely that BECTA will recommend Moodle because it doesn't provide a helpdesk. However, that doesn't mean to say that Moodle can't be used. No single system meets all the criteria."
    Now I may have got some of the words slightly wrong, but that's the gist of what I was told. I don't know how much input BECTA expects techies to have in the running of VLE's, but the helpdesk idea suggests to me that they don't expect us to have much, if any. Personally, I'd like to see more involvement from teachers.
    *Edit* I've just noticed this from Mikr Berry in the Members Who Blog section. Serendipity.

Thank Post

@ Beeswax - to be honest I don't think Becta can or even would actually recommend a VLE as they can't show favouritism.

If money was not an issue, what would people go for? Would it automatically be Moodle?

Thank Post

I may not have all the conversation down pat, but the person telling me this definately used the word "recommend", and I believe them, nor have any reason to doubt them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Blog Entries

They will be able to say what suppliers can provide a single product, or groups of products that works seamlessly together to meet the criteria for a Learning platform.

You might as well forget the bit that says single product as there is no single product ... and it boils down to a company agreeing to use Moodle as part of a Learning Platform they are selling to schools (or have it so that they don't "sell" Moodle ... but the bits that let you hook their product to Moodle).

They will recommend or rate suppliers that meet the targets ... other than that there is no 'recommendation' as such ... but you get the idea ...

And the word recommendation might have been a slip of the tongue, or just a way of phrasing it to help people understand their role.

Thank Post

At a recent Learning Platforms seminar I attended I saw a presentation by Robin Ball from Becta (Manager - Learning Services)

Becta are putting together a Procurement framework agreement

Currently being developed to support aggregated purchasing (available January 2007)
    Informed by the functional specifications

Robust evaluation process

Becta will not recommend any one particular approach, and stresses the need for a five-point plan:
    The product(s)
    Installation
    Maintenance
    Support
    Training
    Its also likely some LAs will with hold some funding and try and work with other LAs in their RBCs

Some level of aggregated purchase is likely to achieve best value for money, reduced technical and support burdens and easy migration of data.
    Current status is that no supplier can meet the functional spec at the min.

My guess is there will be some fudge along the lines of supplier xx is approved on the understanding they have commited to work towards meeting the specification.

As with all these things, how will the schools be monitored? Probably only by an OFSTED report - so if you've got something that works and ticks the right boxes on Self Evaluation I cant see any issues myself.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread