+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Frog and Wikis in Technical; Hi Am pretty new to Frog and would like to put a wiki on the site. As far as I ...

Thank Post

Frog and Wikis

Hi

Am pretty new to Frog and would like to put a wiki on the site. As far as I can see there is not a widget for it so does anyone know how can I do it?

Thank Post
    I dont think Frog supports wiki's, there are forums though.

Thank Post
    You could give everyone who wants to collaborate together access to a common folder, then let them create pages as they want to. (Creating and editing pages in a WYSIWYG way is one of Frog's strong points.)

I'm not sure how it goes about locking the pages though - I presume it must, otherwise it would be quite an oversight on Frog's part.

If you get in touch with Frog for their advice on this, please could you post back on here too with their reply?

Cheers,
    Duncan.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 767 Posts
    What no wiki on the Frog and it costs how much?

Disgraceful is what I call it just downright disgraceful! hehe you pays lots of money and you gets.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............................. you guessed it "No Wiki" hehe

Moodle on the other hand has the facility for a Wiki and guess what it comes free!!

Sorry for havin alittle gloat but I have seen Frog and it seems very good but very pricey and then to find out it has no Wiki well nuff said!

Thank Post
    Moodle is far from free, like any vle the main cost is training, development and time. Unless staff invest there time it doesn't matter which vle you choose.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 767 Posts
    @DanIT:

Your absolutely right nothing is for free especially Frog which not only costs megabucks for what is just in principle a glorified website with a few plugins, except a wiki hehe!

My daughters school has just invested £40k in it and she was complaining that the heating is not working in the school, well how is that for prioritising eh and they still have to get the teachers onboard and train them and upload all the teaching and learning resources Hmm not bad for £40k, I think ours cost so far £1500 and that is man hours and hardware, hmmm big difference there can afford the training at £400 per day from a qualified teacher who writes books on Moodle so she know what she is talking about and as OU use Moodle it has never been so well supported.

Thank Post
    Moodle may be free but it does not match the Becta standards for a state school VLE - hence the reason why we did not go with it.

I know that you all have your opinions on Frog but this is a genuine request for help and not a lets have a go at Frog

Thank Post
    I would suggest at present to use what duncane has suggested, and also check out the community site and see if there's a feature request, vote it up if there is one, and create a new request if there isn't. The other option at present is to get your favourite wiki software setup on another server and embed the page into a frog widget.

Cheers

Will

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ermantrude View Post
    Moodle may be free but it does not match the Becta standards for a state school VLE - hence the reason why we did not go with it.

I know that you all have your opinions on Frog but this is a genuine request for help and not a lets have a go at Frog
    Actually, Moodle did not come into it. Becta's framework was against companies who could provide solutions. Technically you can ask any of those companies to provide you with Moodle and they might. It was not that Moodle was not included, just that the companies who are on the framework do not provide Moodle as an off-the-shelf solution. There is a massive difference.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread