+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, UniServity Life in Technical; Hi I'm a technician working for a LA that's had UniServity as their Learning Platform for about 18months now. Most ...

Thank Post

Smile UniServity Life

Hi

I'm a technician working for a LA that's had UniServity as their Learning Platform for about 18months now. Most of our schools are pretty unhappy with it and won't pay for it when they have to in about 18 months time. Anyway, I've heard UniSersvity are releasing a new version called life (lifeisaboutlearning.com). Has anyone seen experienced it in reality (not just the pretty screen shots) and if so do you think it's worth a look, or should we be looking elsewhere?

Many thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Interested too, But it wont be out in BETA til september from the website it looks like it will be possible to export your existing data into it from uniservity. They had better pull there socks up as the current system is not user friendly or intuitive.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, that looks prettier (but then thats not hard!) is there a login to take a look at the backend?

Thank Post
    Forget there demo site, you must watch this: YouTube - Kanal von lifeisaboutlearning

Thank Post
    I can't see many LA's sticking with Uniservity for that much longer. I think they need to act on the feedback that they are getting.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Blimey, I remember this being all the rage a year ago, all the potential and that... what happened???

Thank Post
    Life was launched at BETT this week and is available in schools from Sept. Our school has taken part in some of the testing and it's tons better than the old one. Still a bit glitchy but I'm hoping that's just because it's a test version. I know primary colleagues who love it. I want to see it in a secondary environment though to see if it can handle the subject load.

Thank Post
    Kat101 do you work for Uniservity? you have done a forum search and answered only Uniservity posts.

I think Uniservity have missed the boat, they had lots of schools using it but didn't make any major changes to its work flow process, something everyone was asking for and now you can use better systems for free.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    Kat101 do you work for Uniservity?
    No I don't work for Uniservity. Maybe I should ask them for sponsorship money!

We've been using the current Uniservity platform for about 3 years now and it is by no means perfect but I have worked with worse.

Our school has been involved with the BETA testing of the new Uniservity platform LIFE, not because we thought the old one was brilliant but because we wanted to have input on making sure the new one resolved the problems of the previous one. Of the schools involved in the testing, many of them of them complained of the glitches and lack of functionality and were quite adament that it was something they wanted resolved in the new one or they wouldn't be interested in continuing. In their defence Uniservity did hold their hands up and say the comments were justified. And they do read edugeek!

There have been known glitches and oversights in the current platform but, rightly or wrongly, Uniservity have chose to ignore them in favour of building a new platform and addressing them there. Why keep patching up something that's on it's way out anyway? In their words the old platform has reached it's limits and there was no point putting ferrari parts on an old cortina. It is my understanding, though I could be wrong, that the old platform will continued to be supported in so far that if something breaks they'll fix it but there won't be any more developments or improvements so RFCs are pointless. Obviously they're hoping everyone will eventually switch to LIFE.

As I said before, I don't work for them, it's just the platform I'm most familiar with and I'm of the opinion better the devil you know (which I'm sure I've said on another post before anyone points it out). Having invested a huge amount of my time and my staff's time implementing the cLc, it is more efficient for us to work with Uniservity and get things fixed than to start all over again and in doing so lose a lot of the ground we've made with the teaching staff, particularly the technophobes amongst them.

What I have discovered, having spoke to authority and school technicians, network managers, ICT teachers and 'normal' teaching staff and even reading many of the comments on here, the more technical you are the more disatisfied you are likely to be with Uniservity. The average user doesn't come across many of the glitches that a superuser works around everyday so are unaware of its many failings. Having attended LA meetings with people from various levels and involvment with schools ICT, the people who complain most are the ones that have to do all the 'behind the scenes' work, of which I am one. The average teacher is more likely to complain about connection issues which can have absolutely nothing to do with the individual platform you're using.

I think that when choosing a platform it is important to talk to both the people that manage it and the actual users because their experiences and opinions of its pros and cons can be very different. Ultimately I feel it my job as the VLE manager to provide something I know my staff can use and are comfortable with and allows for a wide range of teaching and learning oportunities even if I know it isn't the best product. Average but being used is better than top of the range and half the staff too scared to go near it. Everyone's experience of schools is different but I know my staff and I know how hard it was to get this far so I'm prepared to stick with it for at least another year and give the new LIFE platform a chance. If it's as bad as ever then I have 12mths to look at alternatives but it will be absolutley the last resort.

Hope that clears up any confusion on my connection with Uniservity

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread