+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, BrainPOP UK needs some VLE Advice - help wanted! in Technical; Originally Posted by Edu-IT If creating a hyperlink in StudyWiz is easy then creating a self sign in URL for ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    If creating a hyperlink in StudyWiz is easy then creating a self sign in URL for BrainPOP is a walk in the park so staff should manage it.
    You would think that... if i write a 6 page document extensively covering every option they could have for doing it wrong, probs be OK.
    Last edited by dwhyte85; 22nd February 2010 at 03:53 PM.

Thank Post
    Not sure why you can't simply release SCORM content. As you've setup a website I'm sure you are able to use simple software like Xerte to create SCORM files.
    People don't really want to rely on other websites / they want the content themselves. If you resources are good then let people who buy them do what they want, what suits them, not suits you.

Sorry I just believe in SCORM and not signing up to more websites that we have to create thousands of usernames, moderate a new resource when we already have something that provides all this. MOODLE + SCORMS = Simple

Thank Post
    Have you thought about setting up your own FREE Moodle VLE? Perhaps even having a look at what YOU need to do as a company to put resources that may be used rather than brushed past like the thousands of other websites that offer exactly the same as you?
    What can YOU do, rather than asking us to document it.....no offence.

Thank Post
    @apoth0r S'OK, no offence taken ;-)

There seems to be two points to your comments: why don't we do SCORM packages to avoid all this fuss and why haven't we done our bit instead of asking the Edugeekers if they can help?

Good points.

We've only been going in the UK for a year, we're a tiny team (with no technical VLE expertise, yet) and we want to get simple solutions together that we can recommend, for multiple different VLEs, that help teachers get to BrainPOP. We're not ruling out SCORM in any way - it may be that the 15 or so volunteers to this thread (a number of whom are Moodlers) will all recommend that SCORM is the answer. Then it's incumbent on us to investigate the best way to do that. It's not that we were unaware of SCORM etc but that opening up the discussion with knowledgeable VLE Managers/Admins seemed logical.

Whilst I'm not looking forward to packaging against multiple standards of SCORM for multiple VLEs it will take time and money to do that. Both of which we don't have in abundance - we're not all giant faceless publishers with teams of technicians.

It may be, after research, that it's not really worth creating SCORM packages for BrainPOP material. We don't require "1000's of usernames" (just one) and we take pride in all the other stuff that happens in and around our website. Reducing our content to a commodity (which is an unfortunate "soft" side effect of SCORM packing) means potentially that the worth of everything else we do that is related to the content & website gets ignored, or worse, never even found. A recent example might be the TeachMeet movie we created for Northamptonshire. For free, simply to support good CPD.

But yes, absolutely we may SCORM. Or it may be that a useful embedding tool a la YouTube is the solution. Or both. We're now Shibboleth compliant which may actually be a better solution for some Authorities and schools for a webservice then content disaggregation.

As to your second point, we didn't ask anyone to research this challenge for free; we've had a number of examples of BrainPOP working in their VLE (for which we're very grateful); we're open to any suggestions that people have and finally, we have been doing work towards the VLE question - this thread is part of it.

And I wouldn't say there are "thousands of other websites that offer exactly the same as [us]" any more than I would say there are 1000's of ICT Technicians that offer exactly the same as yourself.

No offence ;-)

Thank Post
    love the table!
    We are about to go for BrainPOP - saw some clips last night and it looks good!. I think we already have someone who has integrated it into Sharepoint though.

Thank Post
    Our deputy head is impressed, we're not sure whether it'd be used for VLE integration though which makes it a bit difficult for me as it means i'll be creating shortcuts and deploying to desktops... well not difficult, just effort.
    Last edited by dwhyte85; 4th March 2010 at 10:51 AM.

Thank Post
    As to your second point, we didn't ask anyone to research this challenge for free; we've had a number of examples of BrainPOP working in their VLE (for which we're very grateful); we're open to any suggestions that people have and finally, we have been doing work towards the VLE question - this thread is part of it.
    Agreed. If you've got the time to help out, and don't mind doing so, then why not? After all it's helping to shape a better product. How many software suppliers create shoddy software just because they don't know what it's like in a school environment? I know this is a web based solution but I think the same applies. Get as many eyes and ears on board, who work in the field, and you'll create a far better product.

Thank Post
    As 1000's of technicians are on here you may like to ask if they each have a purpose. Another addition to the 'amazing resources' sector isn't as welcome as 1000's of techs.

Please ask them before and after your product is implemented and then not used.

*speaking from experience as an IT Technician of course*

No offence

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Agreed. If you've got the time to help out, and don't mind doing so, then why not? After all it's helping to shape a better product. How many software suppliers create shoddy software just because they don't know what it's like in a school environment? I know this is a web based solution but I think the same applies. Get as many eyes and ears on board, who work in the field, and you'll create a far better product.
    So is a share scheme in the pipeline?
    I know you work in the public sector but seriously, do you want to help a pure money making venture, using 'Youtube' technology?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Going slightly off topic on this but in response to apoth0r ... company ethos is a major factor why some companies get a lot of support and response on EG. People complain that software x doesn't work or why resource y was not tested on various platforms. Smoothwall are an example of company that gives a heck of a lot back into the community and schools by being here and I am glad they are ...

If BrainPop get a good solution that works on majority (if not all) platforms and they do so by working with us then good. The repayment for those taking part is some freebie access to resources for a period of time. Good. BrainPop are not a pure money making scheme. If you had seen some of the unspoken support they give to sections of the education community you would probably not take the stance that they are just making money. There is nothing wrong with paying for good quality resources. There is nothing wrong with the company providing them wanting to protect those resources (by authentication models perhaps) from others ripping them off. I think too many people are hooked on free resources and sharing. They are not free ... someone has given up their time to make them. If it is school time then the school is footing the bill, if it is personal time then they are footing the bill themselves.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBrainPOP View Post
    We're now Shibboleth compliant which may actually be a better solution for some Authorities and schools for a webservice then content disaggregation.
    This might be more conveinient than importing SCORM content in to a local VLE, although it does imply that you loose access to any content if you stop paying the subscription fee. Does your content offer any interactive quizzes, etc, or is it simply informative videos? If the latter then teachers could create an exercise or lesson in their chosen VLE and simply embed (authenticated via Shibboleth, of course) a BrainPOP video inside it - something along the lines of "Watch the video above an answer the following questions...". I can forsee large numbers of teaching staff struggling with embedding content, so a handy embedding tool would be good.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Having a problem with the high quality code which populates most educational software titles? Post it here for either a solution, or sympathy from a fellow sufferer.
    The above quote is from the Educational Software section of the Edugeek forums, and while it may bring a smile to most techie's lips, it is another reason for helping people such as Chris at BrainPOP get it right before releasing a product to the wider community. Perhaps if more companies were to ask the folk on here to try out beta versions of their software we might think about some sort of charge or donation perhaps, but so far this is a one off; let's encourage them to to turn to us for technical advice, by helping them we help ourselves.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12