+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Hand in Folders in Fronter in Technical; Heloooooooo, Has anyone here managed to use hand in folders effectively in Fronter? I am finding it rather difficult to ...
    Thank Post

Hand in Folders in Fronter

Heloooooooo,

Has anyone here managed to use hand in folders effectively in Fronter? I am finding it rather difficult to use due to the way we have fronter set up (Let me expand on that!)

We have rooms set up which all students have read only access to. We have not used the SIMS rooms as there are litterally hundreds of them and copying and keeping that many rooms up to date is unworkable. Currently we have 1 room for each subject which in the student resources folder we have a folder structure which some resources (powerpoints etc).

Due to this we have a kind of all or nothing approach to the hand in fodlers, either the whole school can hand work in or we have to individually select students to hand work in! Which is silly considering it has to be done every time there is a new assignment!!!!

Thank Post
    There should be a room for each class. Put the teacher of that class in charge of the room. You can then have a hand-in folder for whichever rooms are being used/kept up to date. Most of the class rooms in Fronter should have been created by your MIS import and should therefore have the correct membership & hand-in rights for whichever pupils are in that class.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    Has anyone here managed to use hand in folders effectively in Fronter?

We have rooms set up which all students have read only access to. We have not used the SIMS rooms as there are litterally hundreds of them and copying and keeping that many rooms up to date is unworkable.
    Indeed. We make regular use of hand-in work here, and came to the same conclusion as you when implementing Fronter. We did away with the imported rooms from SIMS and created 1 room per subject per year, simply because 1000+ rooms is unworkable.

Only users with write access to a room are applicable for hand-in tasks. Your students with read access won't be automatically added.

What we have done, which may be different to you, is make all subject teachers owners of the subject room. They then do a contact search and add the class teaching group, which is imported from SIMS, to that room with "Write" access instead of simply adding "all students"

When a teacher creates a hand-in task, they customise the access and check the box next to their teaching group. This then omits the rest of the year and only adds the students it is applicable to.

Is students having write access an issue?

Does this sound like lines that you could follow? I can enter greater detail if you wish. Feel free to provide more info if I'm moving away from a feasible solution, or ask if you want to know more.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    Indeed. We make regular use of hand-in work here, and came to the same conclusion as you when implementing Fronter. We did away with the imported rooms from SIMS and created 1 room per subject per year, simply because 1000+ rooms is unworkable.

Only users with write access to a room are applicable for hand-in tasks. Your students with read access won't be automatically added.

What we have done, which may be different to you, is make all subject teachers owners of the subject room. They then do a contact search and add the class teaching group, which is imported from SIMS, to that room with "Write" access instead of simply adding "all students"

When a teacher creates a hand-in task, they customise the access and check the box next to their teaching group. This then omits the rest of the year and only adds the students it is applicable to.

Is students having write access an issue?

Does this sound like lines that you could follow? I can enter greater detail if you wish. Feel free to provide more info if I'm moving away from a feasible solution, or ask if you want to know more.
    This is exactly what I wanted to do but when I searched for the groups created by the MIS it only shows each individual user and the All Staff and All Students groups. Mmm I'm wondering if our import hasn't worked correctly then if you can search that as its what I was hoping I could do!!

So when you click customise access you can select the group created by the MIS (is it SIMS you use?) and it will automatically sort permissions etc. Can a student who isn't part of that group see the hand in folder, or are only folders the student is able to use visible?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    This is exactly what I wanted to do but when I searched for the groups created by the MIS it only shows each individual user and the All Staff and All Students groups. Mmm I'm wondering if our import hasn't worked correctly then if you can search that as its what I was hoping I could do!!

So when you click customise access you can select the group created by the MIS (is it SIMS you use?) and it will automatically sort permissions etc. Can a student who isn't part of that group see the hand in folder, or are only folders the student is able to use visible?
    We use SIMS. Every teaching group and tutor group is exported exactly as written from SIMS into Fronter, for example a Year 9 ICT group may be 9A/IT1. Therefore instead of adding "All Students", teachers add 9A/IT1, 9A/IT2 etc to the rooms, and then assign these groups to the task.

A student with read will be able to see the task, however upon clicking the task they won't see anything within that folder, even if other students have uploaded items, nor will they be able to submit anything themselves.

In your Admin panel (at least for us) the All Staff and All Student groups come under the "02 Policy Groups" branch. Teaching groups are under "06 Imported Groups". If your users are not in any other group as membership, and you don't have an Imported Groups directory (or there's nothing in there) in the Admin panel then your export process may not be configured correctly, or there may be something in SIMS which is not correctly set up, but you would be pushing the boundaries of my knowledge there. You may wish to speak to your LA, or Fronter themselves.

6. Thanks to Mako from:

Jamo (11th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Ours has the same layout as yours the class groups being in branch 6 - Imported groups. Weird wonder why that isn't woirking then!! Will have to get in touch with Fronter. (LA's idea of support is, here is Fronters telephone number....)

Ta for your help at least I know it is possible to do what we wanted now, even if its not working currently!!

Thank Post
    Another way of getting handin to work is to have year subject classses but then link to the individual teachers classes for hand ins, discussions or anything students need write access for.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread