+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, "Student Proofing" Moodle in Technical; Apologies if my search-fu has missed a solution to this. Our school is moving ahead with Moodle and (as the ...

Thank Post

"Student Proofing" Moodle

Apologies if my search-fu has missed a solution to this.

Our school is moving ahead with Moodle and (as the ICT Tech) I have had a copy of "Teaching with moodle" dropped on my desk along with a few printouts of a powerpoint presentation. In at the proverbial deep end.

I have managed to work out how to turn the messaging system off (it took our 11-18 year olds all of 30 seconds to spot it and start doing what you would expect).

However, I can't seem to find any way to view logs of who said what to whom. If we do end up using any aspect of the messaging system, that's going to be required (child protection, antibullying yada yada). What am I missing?

Similarly, as we do not have school email accounts for our pupils, I have been asked if there is a way that a teacher running a course can send messages TO her pupils and have them reply to her and ONLY to her?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,500 Posts
    Can you clarify for me "Teaching with moodle" is a book/downloadable?

Thanks.

Ben

Thank Post
    [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Using-Moodle-Teaching-Popular-Management/dp/059652918X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265808511&sr=8-1]Using Moodle: Teaching with the Popular Open Source Course Management System: Amazon.co.uk: Jason Cole, Helen Foster: Books[/ame]

Perhaps?

4. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

Nimon (10th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Edu-IT has it right, that's the book.

Bit rubbish of me to get the title wrong, given that it's sat all of five poxy feet from my face.

I'll get me coat...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimon View Post
    Apologies if my search-fu has missed a solution to this.

Our school is moving ahead with Moodle and (as the ICT Tech) I have had a copy of "Teaching with moodle" dropped on my desk along with a few printouts of a powerpoint presentation. In at the proverbial deep end.

I have managed to work out how to turn the messaging system off (it took our 11-18 year olds all of 30 seconds to spot it and start doing what you would expect).

However, I can't seem to find any way to view logs of who said what to whom. If we do end up using any aspect of the messaging system, that's going to be required (child protection, antibullying yada yada). What am I missing?

Similarly, as we do not have school email accounts for our pupils, I have been asked if there is a way that a teacher running a course can send messages TO her pupils and have them reply to her and ONLY to her?
    The Site Administration panel is your friend here (see attached image). Go to Users>Accounts>Browse List of Users and then do a search for the user who's details/activities you want to look at. The user should then appear. Click on the name of the user and you'll get taken to another window with some tabs, one of which will be called Activity reports. Hit this tab and then you'll get the option to view Today's Logs and All logs.

If you want to get a general idea of what people are doing on your Moodle, go back to the Site Administration panel, click Reports, then click Logs. You should then be able to view the daily logs from the inception date of your Moodle. Play around with the dropdowns once you're on the logs page for a more granular view.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimon View Post
    Each course should have a People Block. If you can't see it, turn editing on for that course and look for the Blocks block. From the dropdown select People and the People block should now appear somewhere on your page. The block should say Participants. Click on this and you should see a list of all the participants on the course. Select them all and from the "With selected users..." dropdown select Add/send message; the rest should be straightforward. Pupils replying to this message will be replying only to the teacher who sent it.

By the way (which is a different way of saying "Oh" I suppose) if you didn't know, you can add the chat/messaging function to a course so that only those within that course can message each other within that course. You'll find it in the Blocks block.
    Last edited by beeswax; 10th February 2010 at 02:33 PM.

Thank Post

Moodle Administration

Thank Post

However, I can't seem to find any way to view logs of who said what to whom.
    Do a search on the moodle site for chat report.

There's a chat report that you can drop in and it will show you all chat activity for the last X number of days

10. Thanks to danbuntu from:

beeswax (10th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Didn't know of that one!

Thank Post
    that's for chat though, not messaging

13. Thanks to secretlife from:

beeswax (10th February 2010)

Thank Post
    I haven't had a chance to look yet, but thanks for the heads up on that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
    Borked link there. It has lost the .co.uk

Have that book though & it is very useful. The biggest problem with Moodle though is working out how to use it, how to help departments organise themselves & best use it. Very tricky especially as they look to us for answers & for something like this I don't have them all or even have a definitive correct answer.

Thank Post
    Thanks for finding the borked link.

One of my initial points to teachers was that when you create a course the name you give it is important. I get them all to begin each course name with the year group, e.g Y7-English, Y7-Maths.Simple Fractions etc as it doesn't half help out with finding the courses in a long list. Most staff stick to this.

Thank Post
    (quote) The biggest problem with Moodle though is working out how to use it, how to help departments organise themselves & best use it.
    I've said it before (and I'll say it again ) we don't use the Course Creator role at all - it takes seconds for admin to make a requested course and then teachers can do everything else in it themselves - that way you get an overview of the names and structure of the courses in your Moodle, whereas if they are creating courses right left and centre it will become a Beast - I have been to schools where there are endless subcategories with courses that are just one topic long with one resource in - abandoned months ago - if you are just starting up, it might also be useful to have a policy as to how your courses are set up - category per subject? per key stage? course per year? Whatever - as long as it is consistent throughouit the establishment

Thank Post
    We have control over categories. We have used the moodle 2 sims link & created all staff courses. But there is still a large element of how they run those courses, whether it is used as part of their class lesson, just for external access or as a dumping area for files. One department hit on the idea of creating hidden resource courses that allow other members of the department to import which sections they want & this then allows them the flexibility to customise their course but still follow departmental plans.
    Staff do have course creator roles though so they can create departmental courses.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread