+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, List of Sharepoint based VLEs? in Technical; So far I've seen Kalidos and LP+ which are both based on Sharepoint however while we are keen on using ...
    Thank Post

List of Sharepoint based VLEs?

So far I've seen Kalidos and LP+ which are both based on Sharepoint however while we are keen on using sharepoint neither of these two VLEs really ticked all the boxes for us.

Are there any other prominent Sharepoint based VLEs out there that might have crept under our radar?

Thank Post
    We use basic Sharepoint (wss) with webparts such as Microsoft Sharepoint Learning Kit, SIMS Learning Gateway and others.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by u8dmtm View Post
    We use basic Sharepoint (wss) with webparts such as Microsoft Sharepoint Learning Kit, SIMS Learning Gateway and others.
    Worth also looking at OPENHIVE, and Scholaris.

StudyWiz claim to have webparts for their VLE to allow integration with SharePoint

And there have been some attempts at integrating Moodle with SharePoint as well which might be worth looking at...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Brown View Post
    So far I've seen Kalidos and LP+ which are both based on Sharepoint however while we are keen on using sharepoint neither of these two VLEs really ticked all the boxes for us.

Are there any other prominent Sharepoint based VLEs out there that might have crept under our radar?
    Key question ... are you looking at hosted or local implementations. This will vary the answers methinks.

Thank Post
    Hosted preferably.

Thank Post
    For hosted I would would certainly have a look at OPENHIVE...

Thank Post
    We currently have a similar setup with WSS and SLG some documents and Library webparts, I will be bring online an Exchange server so e-mails will now be in-house and AD integrated. I want to lose our useless county provided VLE so was thinking SharePoint might be a good platform as this is now our portal for staff, students and parents.

What have other people done with SharePoint to bring it to VLE spec, some of those packages look interesting but I want to be a flexible as possible and not be tied down to a single provider.

If anyone would mind sharing what they have done with SharePoint I and the community Iím sure would be very interested.

Thank Post
    We do the same as this ^^

Core Education CORE Education and Consulting (UK) Ltd - Core Education offer a VLE based on Sharepoint, but a lot of people were quite negative of the product but I hear it has improved according to recent posts on here.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RobFuller View Post
    If anyone would mind sharing what they have done with SharePoint I and the community Iím sure would be very interested.
    Have a look at The Kraal, where there is a gallery of screenshots from schools using Sharepoint. May help to give you some ideas?

Thank Post
    The choice is there for SharePoint.

Pure SharePoint with SLK Course manager. a lot of bug fixing from Richard at Salamander

Then there is SharePoint with

SharePoint LMS ( probably more resilient than SLK Course manager) Mike Herrity reviewd it.
    Moodle ( some good work here best of both worlds) originally from a set of french developers but hitting the FE / HE sector
    SLK Course manager ( Hunterstone in the US have added to this and got it working. The demo looks very good and they have added bits)

Yes Studywiz and Fronter have web parts so do . I believe they are ways of accessing the products through a SharePoint portal. I do not beleive they have radically altered their products. Hope somebody can correct me here.

Core (talmos) again I believe they have been integrating with SharePoint. Again hope somebody can add to this.

I saw Hive but is it a front end for SharePoint SLK or a new developed product? Certainly hope somebody can correct me here.

Capita Sims learning gateway is not a learning gateway but a method using sites and webparts to surafce sims data.

Lets not forget kaleidos from RM. It is certainly developing.

SharePoint ticks a lot of boxes as the foundation but its what you integrate with it that makes it more effective.

The decision for many people is do you wait for 2010? ( no brainer there ) and hope people will have something that integrates with it.( fingers crossed)

It would be nice to see road maps from companies.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NewOrder View Post
    I saw Hive but is it a front end for SharePoint SLK or a new developed product? Certainly hope somebody can correct me here.
    OPENHIVEportal is sharepoint 2007 with custom web parts, skins and interface... We also have a VLE (OPENHIVE Learning) which is based on Sharepoint SLK / Course Manager and uses much of the in built sharepoint functionality (document libraries etc)

much of the data from the VLE is also surfaced within the portal.

Quote Originally Posted by NewOrder View Post
    It would be nice to see road maps from companies.
    We plan to publish a 1-2 year roadmap in the near future, possibly with the ability to allow customers to vote for the features which are most important to them

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread