+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Using Moodle - Need SIMS Parental Access? in Technical; Howdy folks, We're using Moodle and have been for several years. We also use SIMS heavily but the two are ...
    Thank Post

Using Moodle - Need SIMS Parental Access?

Howdy folks,

We're using Moodle and have been for several years. We also use SIMS heavily but the two are not connected in any way (for logons we use AD).

However, as I'm sure many of you are aware, Becta have the 2010 guidelines that mean we have to allow real-time parental access to SIMS data. The Moodle forum thread about proper SIMS integration has been going on for years and never really got anywhere, at least not with an official tool.

As such we're in a bit of an awkward situation, as I imagine many other schools are. Do we go for the SIMS Learning Gateway and move to Uniservity, do we go with Frog, or is there a better option? The Frog threads on here are very mixed, and I've seen the words 'run away screaming' come up too much when researching Uniservity. Many people still seem to see Moodle as the best VLE, but in some ways it's just not a mature/developed solution for what we need for the future.

What is everyone else planning to do and what do you see as the right solution? Do you feel Becta and/or SIMS have supported schools enough on this?

Many thanks in advance,

Chris

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

3. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

Duke (4th February 2010)

Thank Post
    I did briefly see that - there's not a whole lot of information on there (flyer returns 404), do you know if this is an 'official' tie-in? Last I heard there was a big developers fee if you wanted to 'legally' access the SIMS database and connect it to another product.

Is anyone else using this product and if so how have you found it? Do you feel there are any issues surrounding using a third-party product with potentially sensitive student data?

Cheers,
    Chris

Thank Post
    We've just moved to Moodle from Uniservity. However we won't be doing parental reporting through Moodle - at least not initially. We're being provided SIMS Learning Gateway by the county council so we're going to be using that to handle all reporting.

6. Thanks to Soulfish from:

Duke (4th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    We've just moved to Moodle from Uniservity. However we won't be doing parental reporting through Moodle - at least not initially. We're being provided SIMS Learning Gateway by the county council so we're going to be using that to handle all reporting.
    I must admit that's looking like my preferred option too currently. We get to keep Moodle - which for all its flaws is a pretty good system - and just use SLG to meet the Becta requirements. Not ideal, but it keeps things flexible and puts us on the right track.

Chris

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I did briefly see that - there's not a whole lot of information on there (flyer returns 404), do you know if this is an 'official' tie-in? Last I heard there was a big developers fee if you wanted to 'legally' access the SIMS database and connect it to another product.

Is anyone else using this product and if so how have you found it? Do you feel there are any issues surrounding using a third-party product with potentially sensitive student data?

Cheers,
    Chris
    Hi Chris,

I have fixed the flyer link. We are using SIF to connect to SIMS and CMIS.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Do you feel there are any issues surrounding using a third-party product with potentially sensitive student data?
    Moodle and SIMS.net are third-party product handling sensitive data and SIF2MOODLE is an extension of moodle so would forsee and issues.

9. Thanks to penfold_99 from:

Duke (4th February 2010)

Thank Post
    How are you going to fulfil parental engagement? BECTA's requirement is for Parental Engagement and Online Reporting.

Has east sussex rolled out SLG to schools yet?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold_99 View Post
    How are you going to fulfil parental engagement? BECTA's requirement is for Parental Engagement and Online Reporting.

Well parents will eventually be getting logins to Moodle together with SLG. Not ideal, but we've decided to use SLG and see how it goes.

No rollout of SLG yet but we've been assured it'll be before September! Still testing various two-factor authentication systems for use by teachers which is delaying things.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold_99 View Post
    Still at the 'vapourware' phase. Anyway are you (@soulfish) sure SLG is going to be 'free', do they pass teh sharepoint costs onto schools?

Thank Post
    No rollout of SLG yet but we've been assured it'll be before September! Still testing various two-factor authentication systems for use by teachers which is delaying things.
    Haven't they been 'testing' for over a year?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Still at the 'vapourware' phase. Anyway are you (@soulfish) sure SLG is going to be 'free', do they pass teh sharepoint costs onto schools?
    Something to ask at the next NMF . I think it was being paid for initially from various top sliced budgets (like Uniservity), but I'm not sure of the ongoing costs.

Thank Post
    I have been also told, in addition to using the SLG, that we have to have parental access in Moodle too.

Thank Post
    What would you like parents to be able to do with access to moodle? What do want parental engagement to be?

Thank Post
    We;ve been told to basically give them read-only access to the courses etc that their pupil is enrolled on. Much in the planning stage, I can tell you!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rh91uk View Post
    We;ve been told to basically give them read-only access to the courses etc that their pupil is enrolled on. Much in the planning stage, I can tell you!
    With SIF2MOODLE we are looking much close communitcation with parents, establishing 3 way communication between student, teacher and parent.

Are you looking to do it in-house or purchase something off the shelf?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast