+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Resetting Fronter Password in Technical; Hi, We have just switched VLE to Fronter, and are continually getting password reset requests throughout the day. Is it ...
    Thank Post

Resetting Fronter Password

Hi,

We have just switched VLE to Fronter, and are continually getting password reset requests throughout the day. Is it possible to grant staff permission to reset students without setting them as an Admin?

We are getting LGFL USO in april, but need something to cover until then.

Regards,

Michael

Thank Post
    are you able to link to Active Directory?

We have our user ids on Fronter set the same as our normal login ids etc... LDAP connection. Very rare that I have any Fronter password issues.

Thank Post
    What you need to do is, from what I can see, make your teachers 'contact creator' for the students usergroup and any other groups you want them to manage. Then through the contact cards they can manage the student details?

This might make more sense to you than it does me as I don't really manage Fronter.

Thank Post
    Staff should have "View Contact" access.

If you go to the Admin panel, and select the top level structure (should be the name of your school) and go to the "Settings" tab, you will see "Customise Contact Card Access". From here you can see what rights each level of user has to view/edit details. If you just want staff to be able to reset passwords, in the "View Contacts" column you could scroll down to "Password", select where it says "Hidden" and change that value to "Editable". That means all people with View Contact access can edit the passwords of members they can see. If you change the "Username" field to "Visible" it means staff will be able to see, but not edit, a user's username in case they have forgotten it.

If you have other users with "View Contact" access it means they will be able to access passwords too, in which case you may want to allocate your staff to a higher level such as "Contact Creator" and repeat the process for that column.

5. 2 Thanks to Mako:

Edu-IT (25th January 2010), linkazoid (25th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    Staff should have "View Contact" access.

If you go to the Admin panel, and select the top level structure (should be the name of your school) and go to the "Settings" tab, you will see "Customise Contact Card Access". From here you can see what rights each level of user has to view/edit details. If you just want staff to be able to reset passwords, in the "View Contacts" column you could scroll down to "Password", select where it says "Hidden" and change that value to "Editable". That means all people with View Contact access can edit the passwords of members they can see. If you change the "Username" field to "Visible" it means staff will be able to see, but not edit, a user's username in case they have forgotten it.

If you have other users with "View Contact" access it means they will be able to access passwords too, in which case you may want to allocate your staff to a higher level such as "Contact Creator" and repeat the process for that column.
    I'll try today and post feedback later!

Thanks

Michael

Thank Post
    Will the LGfL USO integrate with Active Directory?

It won't be particularly useful if not tbh, particularly as we have an Exchange Server for email.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bonjour View Post

It won't be particularly useful if not tbh, particularly as we have an Exchange Server for email.

AFAIK It will but we'll have to change all our usernames, My manager was speaking to our LEA contact who said they hope to have it done by april 09 so it's ready for Sept 09 intake. Wether they will or not is another question.

Michael

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by linkazoid View Post
    AFAIK It will but we'll have to change all our usernames, My manager was speaking to our LEA contact who said they hope to have it done by april 09 so it's ready for Sept 09 intake. Wether they will or not is another question.

Michael
    Erm, I'm guessing the failed to meet that SLA! maybe they'll try again this year for the Sept 10 intake

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Erm, I'm guessing the failed to meet that SLA! maybe they'll try again this year for the Sept 10 intake
    Thats what I meant... lol ... Think I still need to sleep

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bonjour View Post

I spoke to Atomwide at Bett and they do have a service that links USO to AD. I think it uses a sif agent to link one username to another or you could change to have the same username for both. They are also working on automatic creation of accounts from MIS systems but are currently only working with Capita SIMS.

Any reason you are still running exchange and not using staffmail and londonmail ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Face-Man View Post
    I spoke to Atomwide at Bett and they do have a service that links USO to AD. I think it uses a sif agent to link one username to another or you could change to have the same username for both. They are also working on automatic creation of accounts from MIS systems but are currently only working with Capita SIMS.

Any reason you are still running exchange and not using staffmail and londonmail ?
    We've not looked at staffmail and Londonmail tbh.

In a previous school of mine we used the LGfL email service, which at the time was extremely basic webmail. Are Staffmail and Londonmail an improvement on this?

We enjoy the flexibility of our own exchange server, but I fear it will carry a large cost to carry over into full service.

The main issue is having the same sign-on for both the school (CC4 and SIMS) and LGfL systems.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread