+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moodle on Hyper-V with xampp in Technical; Hi All, Bit of an odd one - hoping someone can help. We moved our Moodle production site to a ...
    Thank Post

Moodle on Hyper-V with xampp

Hi All,

Bit of an odd one - hoping someone can help.

We moved our Moodle production site to a VM running on Hyper-V. The site works well for a good 20-30minutes but then goes offline. To get it working again you have to log in to the VM and run the start moodle.exe

It's probably worth mentioning that I don't get involved too much with the back-end of Moodle as I've managed to delegate this down to the Network Manger, but as it's the weekend and virtual + remote I can probably fix with hints without having to get him to travel in (nice line management eh!)

We did have this problem when installed physically - we had to log on to the server, run the exe and then lock the account (logging off would send Moodle offline in a similar amount of time).

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by mb2k01; 23rd January 2010 at 12:12 PM.

Thank Post
    In the long term i'd be looking to move to using the Microsoft Web Apps system on a Hyper-V VM and running the Moodle package on there although i'm not sure whether that would make future updates easier, more complicated, no non-existent.

http://www.microsoft.com/web/gallery/Moodle.aspx

Or you could give CentOS a go using the official Microsoft support route for Red Hat on Hyper-V as the two are meant to be identical except for name / logo changes.

Or I imagine there is loads of documentation on getting Ubuntu working on Hyper-V.

In the short term (this weekend) i'd move it back to physical hardware until you can find a way to keep it stable, migrate it to -something else-, or locate some documentation on xampp in a Hyper-V environment.

3. Thanks to morganw from:

mb2k01 (23rd January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks for that Morgan!

As I'm not too involved with the backend stuff I'd not appreciated Xampp wasn't the advised production method (Google Searching told me the same). That WebApp may well do the trick for us if we can isntall and then just attach the previous data etc.
    I'll pass on and see if it works as it's a bit complex for me - don't want to completely kill the existing site!!

Cheers

Thank Post
    How was it set up in the first place? Sounds like the installer packages where used as opposed to the "proper" source files etc..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread