+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Fronter - Share room with other schools in same Borough in Technical; Hello everyone. Is there an option to create a room where we can share resources with other schools who are ...

Thank Post

Fronter - Share room with other schools in same Borough

Hello everyone.

Is there an option to create a room where we can share resources with other schools who are using Fronter.

Ideally I would like to a create a room, make a teaching staff the owner of this room and allow this teaching staff to accept invitiation from external Fronter users.

Is this something easy to implement?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeman17 View Post
    Hello everyone.

Is there an option to create a room where we can share resources with other schools who are using Fronter.

Ideally I would like to a create a room, make a teaching staff the owner of this room and allow this teaching staff to accept invitiation from external Fronter users.

Is this something easy to implement?

Thanks
    Is this installation just for your school or the whole LA?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Is this installation just for your school or the whole LA?
    not sure what you mean here? please clearify

Thank Post
    not sure what you mean here? please clearify
    Is it something your council are managing or your school? Some LA's chose Fronter as their VLE for all schools.

Thank Post
    Is it something your council are managing or your school? Some LA's chose Fronter as their VLE for all schools.
    Yes our council has bought this VLE as package to supply to all school in the same boroughs.

I hope this helps.

Thank Post
    Yes our council has bought this VLE as package to supply to all school in the same boroughs.

I hope this helps.
    In which case this can be done, but it's not possible to do at school level I don't beleive. You would be better to get somebody at top to create a 'cluster' area which all your schools can access. Assuming it is staff from other schools who you want to be able to access.

Thank Post
    I am not sure if this is the solution to my question maybe you could shed some light. When i create a new room or edit a room it gives me the following few options.

Public
    Rooms can be private or public. Non-members may either see only the room description in public rooms or apply for room membership
    Let people apply
    Only show room description

Is this solution to my question?

Thank Post
    Each school in your LA will be closed on Fronter to that school only. As Edu-IT correctly said, it can't be done at a school level. You won't be able to access members from another school, only members from your own school. We have an area Learning Partnership here where vocational learners study at multiple schools, which means that we needed a shared room between different schools on Fronter.

Contact your LA and explain the situation. A school, probably yours, will be selected to create a room and a top-level Admin will enrol the members you need from the other schools for you with appropriate access rights. Unfortunately it means that every time a new member needs adding from another school, you will need to contact that Admin at the LA.

It's what we've done here, and it works.

Hope that helps,

Thank Post
    I am not sure if this is the solution to my question maybe you could shed some light. When i create a new room or edit a room it gives me the following few options.

Public
    Rooms can be private or public. Non-members may either see only the room description in public rooms or apply for room membership
    Let people apply
    Only show room description

Is this solution to my question?

Just spoken to FronterSupport and it is quite simple to set up. When you create the new room you have to check public to make the room public and also select the radio option 'let people apply'.

So what I have indicated on my previous post is correct. When the room goes public and users in the Borough start applying for membership, the room owner can decided to accept them as member or decline their request.

Thank Post
    Never knew you could do that. Where will the room appear to other schools?

Thank Post
    Never knew you could do that. Where will the room appear to other schools?
    The other user will need to go into display all rooms and select the public rooms tab. This is where the new room will appear. User will have to apply for membership to gain access.

I have just tested this and works like a treat!!!

Thank Post
    It would be good to know how this goes. I've found the only difficult is I don't know when people have applied to be members of the room as I don't check very often so Have include my email in the room description and asked that anybody who wants to see things emails me so I can allow them.

I'm also try it get an agreed group in every school called "fronter contributors (school code)" and then asking the LA to add these groups to a room that can be used for sharing good practise , rooms and other ideas. The idea being that schools can add staff to the local group to access global resources. I'll try and keep you up to date on progress there.

Thank Post
    Face-Man could you have a link on your Today page then set an email feed to send the page to your inbox once a day/week? That's assuming you have your email client open most of the time. Not sure which tool would link but I'm almost sure there must be one.

Thank Post
    One small tip. Make sure all your fronter rooms have your school's name or a short version of it in brackets at the end. You would not belive the number of ICT public rooms we have access to but no way of knowing whose schools they belong too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marcgr View Post
    One small tip. Make sure all your fronter rooms have your school's name or a short version of it in brackets at the end. You would not belive the number of ICT public rooms we have access to but no way of knowing whose schools they belong too.
    I generally put a DCFS number after all users, Groups and Rooms, it does help with identification. Parent rooms are another nightmare.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast