+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, 'Cheat Sheets' for teachers in Technical; REF: Moodle Not wanting to pinch someone's hard work or anything, but has anyone found any REALLY SIMPLE instructions for ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,716 Posts

'Cheat Sheets' for teachers

REF: Moodle
    Not wanting to pinch someone's hard work or anything, but has anyone found any REALLY SIMPLE instructions for teachers on how to a)create a course and b) upload to a course that is already there.
    I have the book and have looked on the web but that stuff is to complicated for our teachers as they are pretty resistant anyway!
    I will cobble something together but I just thought I would ask first.

Thank Post

hi there

Which "book"? you want this book (get it as pdf and then put it on your network) It is meant for teachers who barely know how to attach somethiing to an email.

Oh-secondly- when you say "create a course" it takes seconds for you to create a course for them and then they just have to edit it to their own needs -you might find it easier for you and them if you do that, rather than giving them course creator rights.

Thank Post

attachment

If I can work out how to add an attachment you can have a double sided pdf I use -as long as you don't tell anyone..
    Attached Files Attached Files

4. 2 Thanks to secretlife:

stariq (12th January 2010), Tricky_Dicky (12th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Not wanting to pinch someone's hard work or anything, but has anyone found any REALLY SIMPLE instructions for teachers on how to a)create a course and b) upload to a course that is already there.
    I have the book and have looked on the web but that stuff is to complicated for our teachers as they are pretty resistant anyway!
    I've just got some general instruction somewhere that I can send over if you like.

Steve

Thank Post
    but that stuff is to complicated for our teachers as they are pretty resistant anyway
    The problem with Moodle is that it is very user (in the sense of teacher) hostile and particularly counter-intutive

And its fairly hostile to sysadmins as well - even clever ones like me

So even with cheat sheets to get started - when your teachers come back to use it again and try it without the sheets - they'll be stuffed.

I've been on many courses with a lot of my schools and even when the talented Lancs ICT Team members have shown them how to do things - 2 months later - back to square one

If you use it all the time - then its possible to get great results - if you just try and dip in and out now and then ....

regards

Simon
    Last edited by SimpleSi; 11th January 2010 at 07:01 PM.

Thank Post

yep

one of the main things that puts teachers off is the laborious way in which you have to upload your resources like your word docs/ppts. If you can turn them off that habit (which after all is poor use of Moodle anyway -just using it like a repository) and get them typing straight into moodle in a webpage or using easy to set up more interactice stuff like forums they will find it a lot more user friendly and simple to administer and you might be in with a chance. (PS SimpleSi - have we ever met? We seem to be in the same region)

Thank Post
    I agree the uploading is probably the most unintuitive part of Moodle, and it's the thing most teachers want to do first so it puts people off. It's supposed to be much improved in Moodle 2.0 - if it ever arrives

Meanwhile here's some helpsheets I use - one's a standard walkthru with pics and the other one is a really basic flowchart that just acts as a reminder once they've done it a few times. The flowchart fits on one side of A4 so it can be pinned to a board.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by judyB View Post
    It's supposed to be much improved in Moodle 2.0 - if it ever arrives
    Moodle 2.0 beta is due in February and then several months of testing before the stable version.
    Moodle 2.0 Roadmap - MoodleDocs

Steve

10. Thanks to Devontechie from:

judyB (12th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Try these walkthrough's from Tomaz Lasic. Not everyone's cup of tea though.

I've just spent the past year researching the best methods of training staff how to use the various aspects of Moodle, and the consensus at my school appears to be that one-to-one/one-to-faculty with a portfolio of training examples on the VLE to reinforce what they've been shown in the personal sessions. Once again, this doesn't work for everyone.
    Managing resistance is a vital aspect of successful training.
    Last edited by beeswax; 12th January 2010 at 01:37 PM.

Thank Post
    Managing resistance is a vital aspect of successful training.
    Sometimes the resistance ARE the good guys

@secretlife
    If you've met a big, fat (but some would say good looking) man called Simon - then we probably have met

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by judyB View Post
    I agree the uploading is probably the most unintuitive part of Moodle, and it's the thing most teachers want to do first so it puts people off. It's supposed to be much improved in Moodle 2.0 -
    uploading and displaying is much simpler in Moodle 2 but trying to locate your file after you've uploaded it if you want it somewhere else is a complete nightmare (at the moment)
    Si - I'll keep a look out for you

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread