+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Parents Survey regarding ICT at home in Technical; Hello Everyone I am looking to put some sort of parental survey together to find out percentages of students that ...

Thank Post

Parents Survey regarding ICT at home

Hello Everyone

I am looking to put some sort of parental survey together to find out percentages of students that have access to a computer / internet at home before we roll out our VLE early next year. I need to get some sort of breakdown on how many students have access to a PC, and if they will be interested in accessing the VLE from home.

Some of the questions I have thought of include:

Access to a computer
    Internet access i.e. Broadband, Dial Up, etc#
    Access to software:
    Microsoft Office, Microsoft Works, Open Office, Lotus etc
    Multimedia PC's i.e. Speakers attached for streaming video / pod casting etc
    How often is your child allowed access to a computer on a daily / weekly basis?

Also I would like to ask parents how comfortable etc they are in using their home PC, as I think it would be a good idea to offer training sessions to parents so they are therefore able to help their child out using the computer - this will include beginners training for publisher, word, PowerPoint etc. Does anybody offer training to parents free of charge or do school charge for this?

Has anybody else done a similar survey and is willing to share or can anybody contribute to some more questions that I should ask. I have only come up with the idea in the last hour so as you can see the above questions are very basic etc but the majority will be along these lines. Students will also be asked to do a questionnaire in the KS3 ICT lessons also so we can get a feel if figures as they is no guarantee that all parents will respond to the survey. If anybody has done something similar before what was the returns like?

I'll post my survey once its complete incase anybody else decides to do something similar.

Many Thanks for all your help in advance.

Andrew

Thank Post

Re: Parents Survey regarding ICT at home

I know a trainer at our school very well who has completed a similar survey as part of her MSc in IT. If you can wait until next week and PM me your details I could ask her to get in touch with you if you want?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I'd be very interested in that too kingswood if you wouldn't mind.

Thank Post

No problem- I'll get her to pass me on some details and let you know.

Thank Post

Off the wall thought time;-

If we agree a survey amongst ourselves, would there be mileage in compiling it centrally? If enough get involved we could have a valuable resource (not sure to whom it would be valuable though)

Thank Post

Should have access to some survey questions. We rolled out our VLE 2 years ago and gave some PCs to families within the area and provided connectivity to some of these families as part of DFES Test Bed project. I believe some schools were part of this in Durham. (Allthough Sandwell may have been the only area to provide home PCs)

Looks like you've covered most things I can think of off the top of my head.

The only other ones I can think of

How many computers?
    What type of computer? Laptop/Desktop
    Where is the computer(s) used in the house?

As part of the connectivity we we're also interested in who provided there phone line (or if they had one)

I wouldn't have too many questions as I think your more likely to get a return with just a few tick boxes.

PM me if you want more info, sadly the authority has blocked EduGeek again so there may be a delay in the response time.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseDog
    Should have access to some survey questions. We rolled out our VLE 2 years ago and gave some PCs to families within the area and provided connectivity to some of these families as part of DFES Test Bed project. I believe some schools were part of this in Durham. (Allthough Sandwell may have been the only area to provide home PCs)

Looks like you've covered most things I can think of off the top of my head.

The only other ones I can think of

How many computers?
    What type of computer? Laptop/Desktop
    Where is the computer(s) used in the house?

As part of the connectivity we we're also interested in who provided there phone line (or if they had one)

I wouldn't have too many questions as I think your more likely to get a return with just a few tick boxes.

PM me if you want more info, sadly the authority has blocked EduGeek again so there may be a delay in the response time.
    Thanks for your help. As you have said I dont want to make the questions to technical or too time consuming for parents to fill in. I just want something in place as there is no point in us uploading word / powerpoint documents etc to a VLE if homes do not have this software, other then providing links to the Microsoft Viewers we may need to convert all docs to PDF etc.

As Andrew_C mentioned in an earlier post I can see advantages for a central location on edugeek to compile a list of questions as a lot of schools may decide before they have their VLE in place to find out statistics from parents first.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts

Sylv3r: Depending on your catchment area i would think that a very good idea. If like our catchment area you may find that the survey is just another wall for parents to climb especially if they are among the nations 2% who cannot read or write let alone use a computer.
    I would tread carefully when implementing something like this as these parents often feel cut off and discriminated against even when the exact opposite is true.
    Good luck with the project though.
    let me know how it pans out i would be genuinely interested at the results as a percentage.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by bossman
    Sylv3r: Depending on your catchment area i would think that a very good idea. If like our catchment area you may find that the survey is just another wall for parents to climb especially if they are among the nations 2% who cannot read or write let alone use a computer.
    I would tread carefully when implementing something like this as these parents often feel cut off and discriminated against even when the exact opposite is true.
    Good luck with the project though.
    let me know how it pans out i would be genuinely interested at the results as a percentage.
    Good point Bossman, but as you have said I am offering training free of charge to parents to help with their ICT skills rather then charging for the service which obvioussly does discriminate against the deprieved famies when it comes to costs and with the voluntary aspect hopefully parents do not feel pressurered on not been able to attend due to whatever reason.

The catchement area falls within the 10% most deprieved areas of the country but without statistics it is difficult to see which families need more support when it comes down to ICT, and its not just a case of looking at the free school meals register as this takes on a lot of various factors.

I'll certainly send you the results of the survey when I receive them as I feel the results will be surprising and positive as the last few years I believe you can tell which students have access to a computer at home as their ICT levels are much higher now then what they were 3 or 4 years ago when they first join the schol in Year 7. And I dont think its all down to the improvement of ICT facilities in feeder primary schools.

Thank Post

I'd also be interested in the result of the survey. You've probably already considered this but ......

Make cds with OpenOffice available to kids, stick 30 in the school library or just give them away at the start of term. We do this and if nothing else we know that the work will arrive in a sensible format and it won't cost the parents anything.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by kingswood
    I know a trainer at our school very well who has completed a similar survey as part of her MSc in IT. If you can wait until next week and PM me your details I could ask her to get in touch with you if you want?
    this may sound like asking for the earth, but could you get her to give you the questions asked, and to precis the survey results, and post them here so that we can all see them (if she doesn't mind)? computers at home has reared its head here as well.

richard

Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Make cds with OpenOffice available to kids, stick 30 in the school library or just give them away at the start of term. We do this and if nothing else we know that the work will arrive in a sensible format and it won't cost the parents anything.
    Most of the kids at the school that I left recently had access to Microsoft Office due to the area being one of the most prolific for software piracy in the country. We even had cases of parents offering "cut-price" software to the school.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

pete wrote:

Most of the kids at the school that I left recently had access to Microsoft Office due to the area being one of the most prolific for software piracy in the country. We even had cases of parents offering "cut-price" software to the school.
    "PC World is reporting that Microsoft's Office Genuine Advantage (OGA) program will require mandatory validation of Office software starting October 27 (2006)."
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,127678/article.html

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries

It is now possible for schools that hold select agreements to purchase and resell Office Pro 2003 for students and teachers ... contact your software reseller for more details. This is aimed at schools helping families beat the cycle of piracy to get up to date software for their sons / daughters.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

@GD, hasn't that been the case for a long while? We don't do it at my place, but I know of it and you can do XP Pro Upgrades as well if I remember correctly.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast