+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, SIMS Image on Moodle in Technical; Here's a question. I know Penfold released a very good module that allows kids to see their timetables, which is ...

Thank Post

SIMS Image on Moodle

Here's a question. I know Penfold released a very good module that allows kids to see their timetables, which is pulled direct from SIMS, but as an extension to this would it be at all possible to have it pull the pupils image from SIMS too, and store that as their profile picture?

This means every kids has an identifiable image that is suitable for use in school, and best of all it would be automatic.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Not automatic, but Moodle 1.9 has a bulk upload facility to load user profile pictures.

Site Administration->Users->Accounts->Upload User Pictures

You will need a zip file with all the pictures in named appropriately (idnumber I think).

If you haven't got all the photos already there's a utility to extract them on our website

SalamanderSoft Limited - Free Utilities

Whatever you do you need to ensure that you have the copyright owner's permission to use them in this way if required.

Richard

3. 2 Thanks to rpwillis:

Hightower (9th December 2009), MicrodigitUK (13th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks - I have done as instructed, and it has worked but only for some users.

For example, my users all have their admission number set as their 'idnumber' in moodle, and the images (extracted from SIMS using that exe you provided) and when I upload the file I have chosen 'idnumber' as the method and to overwrite all files.

It has uploaded these photos and set them correctly for some students, but not others and I can't see a pattern as to why it hasn't worked for these users. The file actually exists, and if I go into the user profile I can manually upload it successfully. I've even tried zipping a single photo and uploading that - no errors show and it says it has successfully uploaded but when you browse to the profile again they have the default user icon.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    P.S. My photos were BMP at first, but I just converted them all to JPG and tried again, but this didn't work either.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Here's a question. I know Penfold released a very good module that allows kids to see their timetables, which is pulled direct from SIMS, but as an extension to this would it be at all possible to have it pull the pupils image from SIMS too, and store that as their profile picture?

This means every kids has an identifiable image that is suitable for use in school, and best of all it would be automatic.

Any ideas?
    Hi High Tower,

This is something i am currently working as i have been asked about the possibilities of integrating this with moodles advark theme.

i will keep you upto date on my progress but is there a deadline you need this feature by?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold_99 View Post
    Hi High Tower,

This is something i am currently working as i have been asked about the possibilities of integrating this with moodles advark theme.

i will keep you upto date on my progress but is there a deadline you need this feature by?
    No Penfold_99. It was more a 'it would be nice to have this' than a 'this is a must have'. Cheers

Thank Post
    Hi High Tower,

I've not looked at the code behind that functionality, so am not sure what might go wrong.

You could try setting Overwrite to Yes to see if that makes any difference.

Only other thing that springs to mind is check to see if the leading digits of the Admission Number have been stripped in Moodle.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread