+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, User Authentication in Moodle in Technical; Originally Posted by witch In Moodle, my boss has set user authentication via AD and email addy, but we do ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    In Moodle, my boss has set user authentication via AD and email addy, but we do not have enough email addresses for the bottom two years in the school - and can't afford them anyway. Can we set up different authentication for different users or is there any other way around this??
    Last year we implemented a whole school email system, free for education, from Google . Try that as a start...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,474 Posts
    We have already sorted out the email addys for two whole school years so changing it all now for them at least is not really an option. It is just the other two years that are the problem

Thank Post
    Yes, that is the case.

I will pass on the info about the manual set up or edu@ to my boss who is doing it all.
    As for LDAP - don't really understand it - can it be used with different authentications or what?
    LDAP basically authenticates in the same way that a user does when they log on to your network.
    (I realise that I've automatically assumed you have a domain there... do you?)

If you use LDAP authentication then the user logs on with the same username and password that they do to log on to a computer on the network.

If you need some help give me a PM or email.

Thank Post
    We have already sorted out the email addys for two whole school years so changing it all now for them at least is not really an option. It is just the other two years that are the problem
    Although I've never needed to do it I believe you can have two or more authentication methods.
    You could choose email to be the first and then LDAP to be the second - basically it should try one and then if that doesn't work try the other.

Thank Post
    You can use the LDAP authentication to authenticate from Active Directory but to lock down the user settings like the email address for the Moodle account you would have to have email addresses set in Active Directory for each user so that it can be pulled through into Moodle.

We only have two years of pupils with actual email accounts, but all users have the email field in AD populated so that the Moodle authentication doesn't demand things to be typed in on the first login.

My scripting isn't great but I managed to make a visual basic script to step through the user OUs and then set the email field for user accounts to username & "@domain name". That runs every day to set the email field for new accounts. The only problem you would get is if you create an account and someone tries to log into Moodle on that same day before the script has run. Luckily for me no one seems that keen.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12