+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Capita hosted SLG2 - Teacher/admin full names displayed in Technical; Hi guys We have just launched SLG to year 8 & 9. We dont want students to be able to ...

Thank Post

Capita hosted SLG2 - Teacher/admin full names displayed

Hi guys

We have just launched SLG to year 8 & 9. We dont want students to be able to see teachers/admins full names when they create a notification or post in a discussion. I know user settings can't be changed because it is hosted by capita but is there a way around this? Would all the staff names that post on SLG have to be changed in SIMS? We want them to see Mr/Mrs/Miss .... etc, capita just said its not possible but we need a workaround!

Thanks

Thank Post
    From a purely SharePoint point of view it's certainly possible, I do it all the time when populating SharePoint & AD.

By default the name displayed in SharePoint is populated from the display name attribute in Active Directory. However it can be changed from that by editing the profile, but if user profile import is set to update the name this will get overwritten.

I don't know how a hosted SLG is set up, but from a technical point of view the options are:

1. Create the account display name using Title Surname instead for Forename Surname. I don't know if Sims Active Directory Provisioning supports this and if it does whether it can be changed for just one school in a hosted solution.
    2. Manually change all the names in the SharePoint profiles and ensure that user profile import is set up to not overwrite the display name.

I would not update them in Sims as that will affect anything you do in their which uses staff names.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy23 View Post
    Hi guys

We have just launched SLG to year 8 & 9. We dont want students to be able to see teachers/admins full names when they create a notification or post in a discussion. I know user settings can't be changed because it is hosted by capita but is there a way around this? Would all the staff names that post on SLG have to be changed in SIMS? We want them to see Mr/Mrs/Miss .... etc, capita just said its not possible but we need a workaround!

Thanks
    I've been there. Had a head teacher go on about it then as I walked away from the school I noticed on the board with the school name, the heads full name. They also tend to use full names on advertising and in news papers.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread