+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Editing online files without downloading? in Technical; Hi there, this is probably not possible, but I'd like to be able to edit files (words, excel and other ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    46
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Editing online files without downloading?

    Hi there,

    this is probably not possible, but I'd like to be able to edit files (words, excel and other stuff) without downloading it from Fronter.

    For example, my children uploaded 30 word files today. I'd like to be able to add a comment without having to download, open, edit, save and re-upload them.

    Anyone know of a way of doing that?

    cheers

    Steve

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Preston
    Posts
    369
    Thank Post
    14
    Thanked 86 Times in 79 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    No I don't (sorry if you expected a positive response) We use Moodle not Fronter but the issue is the same - if pupils upload Word docs you have to download, comment and reupload just as you say you do in Fronter and it is a pain. Do you have a facility in Froner whereby they can just type straight into the VLE and you can correct on top of their text - like there is in Moodle - I find that's the simplest way round it. Other than that , google docs is the only way I could see how people could do this. That online editing and collaborating is something I have wanted for a while.
    On the other hand, maybe somone will come along from Fronter saying you can do that in Fronter - I hope so for your sake.

  3. #3
    Devontechie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    913
    Thank Post
    185
    Thanked 205 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    73
    When I looked at Fronter 18 months ago it wasn't something that could be done. There was 1 product that could do it and I think it was Its Learning from Viglen (but I am not 100% sure about that).

    Steve


    Quote Originally Posted by GenieNitro View Post
    Hi there,

    this is probably not possible, but I'd like to be able to edit files (words, excel and other stuff) without downloading it from Fronter.

    For example, my children uploaded 30 word files today. I'd like to be able to add a comment without having to download, open, edit, save and re-upload them.

    Anyone know of a way of doing that?

    cheers

    Steve

  4. #4
    leco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,026
    Thank Post
    595
    Thanked 125 Times in 119 Posts
    Rep Power
    42
    Yes it can be done - you need a plug in called OpenEditSave (OES), available from the Fronter Support site. On my way to work at the mo - will pop back in later.

  5. #5
    fawkers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Southend
    Posts
    193
    Thank Post
    32
    Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    32
    Hi Steve

    In fronter if you click on the down arrow next to a document on of the options is Edit File, it will ask you to download a bunch of active X stuff then every time you edit a file in this way it will download it for you,open it and when you then close it, it will ask what you want to do with the files (rename, replace, new virsion) and automaticly upload back to fronter.

    Hope this helps

    .Adam

  6. Thanks to fawkers from:

    leco (13th November 2009)

  7. #6
    leco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,026
    Thank Post
    595
    Thanked 125 Times in 119 Posts
    Rep Power
    42
    Thanks Adam, that's what I was going to add when I arrived at work. You've done the job for me

  8. #7
    znova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    154
    Thank Post
    20
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Sorry to but into this one - is there a similar thing available for Kaleidos? Anyone?

  9. #8
    alan-d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sutton Coldfield
    Posts
    2,422
    Thank Post
    360
    Thanked 259 Times in 190 Posts
    Rep Power
    77
    Some form of wiki maybe?

  10. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    46
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by fawkers View Post
    Hi Steve

    In fronter if you click on the down arrow next to a document on of the options is Edit File, it will ask you to download a bunch of active X stuff then every time you edit a file in this way it will download it for you,open it and when you then close it, it will ask what you want to do with the files (rename, replace, new virsion) and automaticly upload back to fronter.

    Hope this helps

    .Adam
    Ah thanks very much!
    This doesn't work for me as I am running Fronter in Safari/Firefox under OSX.
    HAd a go in Windows 7...It wants to alow editing in the teachers' resources folder but not in the hand in folder (maybe because the children are the owners of the word files)

    Couldn't try it out though because for some reason the ActivX control wouldn't run... Ahh, so user friendly, this Fronter!

  11. #10
    leco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,026
    Thank Post
    595
    Thanked 125 Times in 119 Posts
    Rep Power
    42
    I'm using Windows 7 and Firefox, however not in OSX. Edit File in the Hand-in folder works for me. Doesn't the Hand-in folder sit in Teacher Resources anyway?

    The children might own the Word file but a teacher has at least delete access or is the owner of the folder. Whereas children can only delete their own work teachers can, though they don't often, delete anything.
    Last edited by leco; 14th November 2009 at 12:25 AM.

  12. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    46
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    I'm using Windows 7 and Firefox, however not in OSX. Edit File in the Hand-in folder works for me. Doesn't the Hand-in folder sit in Teacher Resources anyway?

    The children might own the Word file but a teacher has at least delete access or is the owner of the folder. Whereas children can only delete their own work teachers can, though they don't often, delete anything.
    Hmm how odd!

    When I'm in the hand-in folder I dont even get the 'edit file' option on the menu next to the file. It's not there at all.
    When I have a go at editing a file via Win7 and Firefox, I'm given a link that it have to paste into the 'open' dialog of my word processor. When I do this, it opens up as read only so I can't edit it anyway!

  13. #12
    leco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,026
    Thank Post
    595
    Thanked 125 Times in 119 Posts
    Rep Power
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by GenieNitro View Post
    Hmm how odd!

    When I'm in the hand-in folder I dont even get the 'edit file' option on the menu next to the file. It's not there at all.
    When I have a go at editing a file via Win7 and Firefox, I'm given a link that it have to paste into the 'open' dialog of my word processor. When I do this, it opens up as read only so I can't edit it anyway!
    Sounds rather as if you don't have the active-x or plug-in necessary. Although having said that, I don't recall having to download a plug in for Win7 that was for XP. Odd behaviour indeed. I'll try and dig out the "paperwork" I followed on XP to see if that will help.
    This is the link to the Fronter support site for downloading the OES module. It might be that it works for me in Win7 because I already had the module in XP before I upgraded.
    Last edited by leco; 14th November 2009 at 08:09 PM.

  14. Thanks to leco from:

    GenieNitro (14th November 2009)

  15. #13

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    46
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Thanks Leco...

    As the vast majority of staff who will be using Fronter will access it via Mac OSX I think this is all going to be rather academic.

    When I choose edit file on a MAc, it gives me the option to paste the link into Word. However the open file dialog on OSX does not include a text box to type into, just a directory broeswer... so basically I think I am probably right to assume that it's not going to be workable of OSX for the time being!

    Steve

  16. #14
    leco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,026
    Thank Post
    595
    Thanked 125 Times in 119 Posts
    Rep Power
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by GenieNitro View Post
    Thanks Leco...

    As the vast majority of staff who will be using Fronter will access it via Mac OSX I think this is all going to be rather academic.

    When I choose edit file on a MAc, it gives me the option to paste the link into Word. However the open file dialog on OSX does not include a text box to type into, just a directory broeswer... so basically I think I am probably right to assume that it's not going to be workable of OSX for the time being!

    Steve
    Oh the joys of using a Mac Maybe you should put in a request to Fronter for the option to OES on a Mac?

  17. #15

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    46
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    Oh the joys of using a Mac Maybe you should put in a request to Fronter for the option to OES on a Mac?
    Yes would love to... as a lead teacher I can't do that directly - will have to go through the brough mle team...
    cheers

    Steve



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Problems when downloading "big" files
    By Arcath in forum Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30th October 2009, 07:24 PM
  2. IE 8 - Not downloading files
    By garethedmondson in forum Windows
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18th September 2009, 11:00 PM
  3. Downloading installation package files fails
    By Hacksawbob in forum *nix
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20th May 2009, 07:29 PM
  4. Downloading files problem
    By TechSupp in forum Windows
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22nd February 2008, 06:06 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 9th November 2007, 11:09 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •