+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Editing online files without downloading? in Technical; Hi there, this is probably not possible, but I'd like to be able to edit files (words, excel and other ...

Thank Post

Editing online files without downloading?

Hi there,

this is probably not possible, but I'd like to be able to edit files (words, excel and other stuff) without downloading it from Fronter.

For example, my children uploaded 30 word files today. I'd like to be able to add a comment without having to download, open, edit, save and re-upload them.

Anyone know of a way of doing that?

cheers

Steve

Thank Post
    No I don't (sorry if you expected a positive response) We use Moodle not Fronter but the issue is the same - if pupils upload Word docs you have to download, comment and reupload just as you say you do in Fronter and it is a pain. Do you have a facility in Froner whereby they can just type straight into the VLE and you can correct on top of their text - like there is in Moodle - I find that's the simplest way round it. Other than that , google docs is the only way I could see how people could do this. That online editing and collaborating is something I have wanted for a while.
    On the other hand, maybe somone will come along from Fronter saying you can do that in Fronter - I hope so for your sake.

Thank Post
    When I looked at Fronter 18 months ago it wasn't something that could be done. There was 1 product that could do it and I think it was Its Learning from Viglen (but I am not 100% sure about that).

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by GenieNitro View Post
    Hi there,

this is probably not possible, but I'd like to be able to edit files (words, excel and other stuff) without downloading it from Fronter.

For example, my children uploaded 30 word files today. I'd like to be able to add a comment without having to download, open, edit, save and re-upload them.

Anyone know of a way of doing that?

cheers

Steve

Thank Post
    Yes it can be done - you need a plug in called OpenEditSave (OES), available from the Fronter Support site. On my way to work at the mo - will pop back in later.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi Steve

In fronter if you click on the down arrow next to a document on of the options is Edit File, it will ask you to download a bunch of active X stuff then every time you edit a file in this way it will download it for you,open it and when you then close it, it will ask what you want to do with the files (rename, replace, new virsion) and automaticly upload back to fronter.

Hope this helps

.Adam

6. Thanks to fawkers from:

leco (13th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks Adam, that's what I was going to add when I arrived at work. You've done the job for me

Thank Post
    Sorry to but into this one - is there a similar thing available for Kaleidos? Anyone?

Thank Post
    Some form of wiki maybe?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fawkers View Post
    Hi Steve

In fronter if you click on the down arrow next to a document on of the options is Edit File, it will ask you to download a bunch of active X stuff then every time you edit a file in this way it will download it for you,open it and when you then close it, it will ask what you want to do with the files (rename, replace, new virsion) and automaticly upload back to fronter.

Hope this helps

.Adam
    Ah thanks very much!
    This doesn't work for me as I am running Fronter in Safari/Firefox under OSX.
    HAd a go in Windows 7...It wants to alow editing in the teachers' resources folder but not in the hand in folder (maybe because the children are the owners of the word files)

Couldn't try it out though because for some reason the ActivX control wouldn't run... Ahh, so user friendly, this Fronter!

Thank Post
    I'm using Windows 7 and Firefox, however not in OSX. Edit File in the Hand-in folder works for me. Doesn't the Hand-in folder sit in Teacher Resources anyway?

The children might own the Word file but a teacher has at least delete access or is the owner of the folder. Whereas children can only delete their own work teachers can, though they don't often, delete anything.
    Last edited by leco; 14th November 2009 at 12:25 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    I'm using Windows 7 and Firefox, however not in OSX. Edit File in the Hand-in folder works for me. Doesn't the Hand-in folder sit in Teacher Resources anyway?

The children might own the Word file but a teacher has at least delete access or is the owner of the folder. Whereas children can only delete their own work teachers can, though they don't often, delete anything.
    Hmm how odd!

When I'm in the hand-in folder I dont even get the 'edit file' option on the menu next to the file. It's not there at all.
    When I have a go at editing a file via Win7 and Firefox, I'm given a link that it have to paste into the 'open' dialog of my word processor. When I do this, it opens up as read only so I can't edit it anyway!

Thank Post
    Hmm how odd!

When I'm in the hand-in folder I dont even get the 'edit file' option on the menu next to the file. It's not there at all.
    When I have a go at editing a file via Win7 and Firefox, I'm given a link that it have to paste into the 'open' dialog of my word processor. When I do this, it opens up as read only so I can't edit it anyway!
    Sounds rather as if you don't have the active-x or plug-in necessary. Although having said that, I don't recall having to download a plug in for Win7 that was for XP. Odd behaviour indeed. I'll try and dig out the "paperwork" I followed on XP to see if that will help.
    This is the link to the Fronter support site for downloading the OES module. It might be that it works for me in Win7 because I already had the module in XP before I upgraded.
    Last edited by leco; 14th November 2009 at 08:09 PM.

14. Thanks to leco from:

GenieNitro (14th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks Leco...

As the vast majority of staff who will be using Fronter will access it via Mac OSX I think this is all going to be rather academic.

When I choose edit file on a MAc, it gives me the option to paste the link into Word. However the open file dialog on OSX does not include a text box to type into, just a directory broeswer... so basically I think I am probably right to assume that it's not going to be workable of OSX for the time being!

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanks Leco...

As the vast majority of staff who will be using Fronter will access it via Mac OSX I think this is all going to be rather academic.

When I choose edit file on a MAc, it gives me the option to paste the link into Word. However the open file dialog on OSX does not include a text box to type into, just a directory broeswer... so basically I think I am probably right to assume that it's not going to be workable of OSX for the time being!

Steve
    Oh the joys of using a Mac Maybe you should put in a request to Fronter for the option to OES on a Mac?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    Oh the joys of using a Mac Maybe you should put in a request to Fronter for the option to OES on a Mac?
    Yes would love to... as a lead teacher I can't do that directly - will have to go through the brough mle team...
    cheers

Steve

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast