+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moodle Enrollment in Technical; Suppose this should be in the "How do you.." section but thought it would be tidier here. How do people ...

Thank Post

Moodle Enrollment

Suppose this should be in the "How do you.." section but thought it would be tidier here.
    How do people enroll students on courses? I am setting up a test moodle server so I can show some departments and get my head around it myself. I can see teachers adding courses themselves but having to add students as well from all of them looks like it would be just too much for them to handle. Do people auto enroll at all or allow students to get at any courses?

After writing this I am actually thinking that allowing everyone access to the courses would be ok (allows revision or pre-vision if kids are really keen), but then that means any numpty would be able to get in on disccussion if they were ever set.

I've seen the CMIS script someone had but I'm thinking that Staff woudl be more likely to set up their own courses so it would be harder to do an export from SIMS to replicate this script. I have a feeling ti may just be a problem on my part getting an overview of Moodle as a whole, but it does seem just way too open for normal school use.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Moodle Enrollment

At present I use our Email server for LDAP authentication mostly because this was very easy to setup!

The users assigned as teachers of each course would give their particular students enrolment keys and only allow their classes to enrol?

Geoff's definitely the one to ask about this though!

Wes

Thank Post

Ta for the reply.
    I've managed the LDAP authentication (chuffed with myself for that one ), but it is just the courses enrollment that is foxing me. I was thinking of the enrollment keys option, my only thought was that knowing the kids everyone would swap keys and everyone would be everywhere. But I guess after the first week the key could be changed and the list of students checked to get rid of any extras that have snuck in.

Maybe something that is best left up to the teachers to decide.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I've asked Geoff something similar "Does anyone know how to make a course so that the only way a pupil can enrol is for the teacher/admin to have enrolled them themselves (with the added security of an enrolment key) we want to setup a system where we have high, middle and low tiers depending on students ability? "

Geoff reply was "You need to do this on a per course basis. Go have a look at the course settings page. It's all well explained there."

So I think this may be what you need to look at to stop pupils from being able to enrol just because they have the enrolment key.

Wes

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yes, the per course enrollment settings are very flexible. Go have a look.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread