+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Backup ideas? (Frog) in Technical; So what are you all using to encrypt your backup then? Atm we have more data than will fit on ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    So what are you all using to encrypt your backup then?

Atm we have more data than will fit on tapes without an autoloader.

Our data is currently backed up to a san in a remote location of the school away from the main building.

I would never take backup tapes home with me period.

Ben

Thank Post
    We built a SAN in the 6 weeks holiday in a separate part of the building so we backup everything to that currently, how often you'd have to back frog up I wouldnt know, we've just signed up for it so that'll be something else to look forward to messing about with.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    @Lee91 - Bearing in mind how much Frog costs, I'm shocked a backup solution of some form isn't in place. Is the server they provide RAIDed or just a single hard drive?

If you're unsure, taking a look in the BIOS and counting the number of physical drives may give you a clue.

I would say the cheapest option is a NAS (Network Attached Storage) physically located away from the server room, but still somewhere on site. Taking data off site is a big no no these days, irrelevant if it's encrypted or not. There's just too much to lose in one go and a fire proof safe (if using tapes) is the recommended approach.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Taking data off site is a big no no these days, irrelevant if it's encrypted or not.
    Care to cite that statement at all? A number of people here - me included - currently take data off-site, so would no doubt value seeing something to support a change in policy, rather than just say to SLT "we're not going to do it any more".

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee91 View Post
    I'm with you. Also I have a better chance of winning the lottery tonight before "my house gets broken into and the data stolen and then the school burnt down"
    I think this sums it up nicely. At the moment I take a two pronged approach to backup. Both NAS based.

I have an onsite rackbased 4Tb RAID-5 NAS for daily/weekly/monthly/yearly full/incremental backups. This is kept in a secure location in another physical building seperate from the server room.

I then have a portable (!?!) 4Tb RAID-5 NAS for offsite backups. These are either clonezilla images or copies of .vhd files taken once every term anlong with systemstate NTbackups of the three DC's.

If both sets of data was lost, well that's just bad luck and we'd have to start again.

I think I should be looking into encryption of the offsite filesystem though - good point

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    @Lee91 - Bearing in mind how much Frog costs, I'm shocked a backup solution of some form isn't in place. Is the server they provide RAIDed or just a single hard drive?

If you're unsure, taking a look in the BIOS and counting the number of physical drives may give you a clue.

I would say the cheapest option is a NAS (Network Attached Storage) physically located away from the server room, but still somewhere on site. Taking data off site is a big no no these days, irrelevant if it's encrypted or not. There's just too much to lose in one go and a fire proof safe (if using tapes) is the recommended approach.
    Frog comes with two standard 1TB 3.5" SATA hard drives. One of these backs itself up onto the other one so there is some form of backing up. However we are not satisfied enough with this so we have ordered 5 external hard drives as this is the cheapest option and should do the job nicely. When you say "taking data off site is a big no no these days" could you elaborate because (as a another user pointed out) I have yet to find a good enough reason not to take data off site.

Also, our School is made up of old Victorian buildings which are extremely close to each other so storing the tapes the other side of School is not an option for us because if there was, say, a fire it would spread everywhere.

Lee

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12