+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, A good way of reminding Fronter users of their usernames and passwords? in Technical; Hello all, because I am fed up with the slow progress we are making with our Fronter implementation ( SMT ...

Thank Post

A good way of reminding Fronter users of their usernames and passwords?

Hello all,

because I am fed up with the slow progress we are making with our Fronter implementation (SMT apathy/lack of training for other staff) I have decided to see if I can get the kids on boards and work from there. I have put lots of stuff on Fronter for them to do and plan to give each class a short introduction before I send them on their way.

Thing is, my experience from working with my own class is that the little loves find it hard to memorise their usernames and passwords and lose the little cards that I give them.
    If I'm setting 300 odd kids off, I'm sure to have loads of them knocking at my door of a breaktime demanding new cards/complaining they can't log on.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might get around this?

I'd like an automated system such as is used on most forums nowadays (e.g. lost details are reported - user types in their Email address (which I would need to have logged I guess) or a memorable word and the username and password are automatically sent out.

Does anyone have anything like this in place?

cheers

Steve

Thank Post
    Does your LEA provide AD and USO integration ?

I am trying to push this for ours, but having no luck. In my opinion it's the only sensible way to do it.
    But of course there is a cost implication, so we might end up with a half-arsed implementation.

Thank Post
    Hi there,

I'm afraid I'm not sure what AD is (just a lowly ICT coord/Fronter lead teacher!)

The borough want us to do the USO thing, but the format of the usernames and passwords is just silly. The kids will have awful trouble remembering/typing them in properly (the fronter ones are bad enough!)
    User names will be something like this - John Higgins would be higgj34.315 coupled with the difficult letter/number password.

I think they did mention a service (that we'd have to pay for) that makes the main network login the same as the USO (although not sure if this would work the same on an Apple system such as ours).

Anyway, all of this is a little academic as I'm more thinking of the children trying to log in at home which is more problematic without a teacher around!

cheers

Steve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Instead of printing cards, if they need to carry a diary or such around all day for classes try stickers that they stick inside the cover.

Or if you can, let them change the password to something that they will remember.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    Instead of printing cards, if they need to carry a diary or such around all day for classes try stickers that they stick inside the cover.

Or if you can, let them change the password to something that they will remember.
    Well we are a primary school, so don't quite work like that, but the idea of a sticker is not a bad one and the kids are meant to have a reading record that goes home.... hmmm
    food for thought, thanks!

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GenieNitro View Post
    The borough want us to do the USO thing, but the format of the usernames and passwords is just silly. The kids will have awful trouble remembering/typing them in properly (the fronter ones are bad enough!)
    User names will be something like this - John Higgins would be higgj34.315 coupled with the difficult letter/number password.
    Steve,

The passwords are actually easy ones, something like "summer3". Nothing complicated. Plus it will tie in with other LGfL services the school might use.

Thank Post
    Firstly if you don't have USO yet (don't worry about cost I'm told it will be free to London Schools very soon) then why not start with resetting all your classes password to simple ones. (see video and help guide below). you will need admin rights for your schools fronter building

Video - How to reset passwords in bulk

Downloads | For administrators

I know of some schools that have set the passwords to "password" but then have to deal with the potential of abuse of users accounts. Personally a simple word with a number works well for me.

Thank Post
    Oh how I would love to!
    Sadly I have no admin rights, I am merely a lowly MLE lead!
    Borough is very keen on security and wants all that kind of stuff centralised.
    I find this frustrating and slow!

Have asked and they tell me I am stuck with the passwords!

cheers

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Face-Man View Post
    Firstly if you don't have USO yet (don't worry about cost I'm told it will be free to London Schools very soon) then why not start with resetting all your classes password to simple ones. (see video and help guide below). you will need admin rights for your schools fronter building

Video - How to reset passwords in bulk

Downloads | For administrators

I know of some schools that have set the passwords to "password" but then have to deal with the potential of abuse of users accounts. Personally a simple word with a number works well for me.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread