+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Surveys and getting to the information submitted. in Technical; Fairly new to Moodle. Basically been tasked to create an online survey of sorts. Basically a list of questions which ...
    Thank Post

Surveys and getting to the information submitted.

Fairly new to Moodle.

Basically been tasked to create an online survey of sorts. Basically a list of questions which the students answer. I assume this is fairly easy to do in moodle which we already have set up. The survey is mainly going to be based on what extra curricular activities students get upto and what they do in their out of school time.

Anyway once the survey is taken I will need to make some reports (such as most popular activites, how many students do 2 or more activities etc etc) based on the surveys. So are there tools to do this as well or will I need to take the information directly out of the database using SQL queries?

Also are there modules that come as standard with moodle to do this or will I need to install one myself.

Thanks in advance...

Sam

Thank Post

hi

First - ignore the so -called "survey "in Moodle -it just has standard questions and doesn't allow you to edit them at all. I've disabled ours to avoid confusion. YOu need to download and then install the non-standard questionnaire module which will do all you want. We use it a lot for suchlike. YOu can then download the answers tothe survey in text format to import into Excel and manipulate how you like -simple. (edit: there is a shorter, less powerful, Feedback module, which you might like to look at too -also non-standard - but I'd go for the questionnaire for what you want to do)

Thank Post
    We use the questionnaire quite a bit - you can find it here

Alternatively Survey Monkey is a bit more user friendly.

Thank Post
    Survey Monkey looks a little bit more like what we're after. I also cqame across something called Lime Servey as well which we could install on our web server. Lime Survey also allows you to create "invites" based on active directory which is cool.

I'll give all three (moodle, lime, monkey) a look over over half term and see which one takes my fancy.

thanks

Thank Post
    Hi Sam ... We use Lime Survey and it is superb... very easy to configure.. lots of output and collating options etc... If you want to PM me with some questions I'll get one setup for you and you can have a play ... happy to give you an admin login so you can export results as well if you like

6. Thanks to marekbrad from:

Sam_Brown (21st October 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Loads of good advice on the technology to use but try to make sure that whoever comes up with the questions doesn't go over the top! There are some people who think more means better; it almost never does. KISS applies to surveys but with the first S meaning "short and simple" :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marekbrad View Post
    Hi Sam ... We use Lime Survey and it is superb... very easy to configure.. lots of output and collating options etc... If you want to PM me with some questions I'll get one setup for you and you can have a play ... happy to give you an admin login so you can export results as well if you like
    Probably best to do it on here because it might help others in the same situation!

Ideally we'd be wanting to make it so the surveys are restricted and where students can only take the test once. I think you can do this using "tokens" but was wondering how you actually go about generating the tokens (as opposed to making them manually for each student!). Can you do it through AD or CSV perhaps?

Also is it easy enough to set up groups for example results by year group or by class?

Thanks in advance

Sam

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread